general training before hst?

bilknu

Hi, I'm assuming most of the people on this forum have been lifting weights for awhile. I understand after a period of time it is difficult to gain muscle. So, should a person new to lifting begin training 3 times a week, gradually adding more reps and weight and then after 6 months or so when it becomes difficult to gain muscle switch to HST? Or start with HST from the beginning? Thanks.

Dear bilknu,

There is no need to "break-into" HST. In fact, there is no need to use a less than efficient training method to hit a growth plateau before switching to HST.

Find your rep maxes, have a decent SD, and away you go, HST = mo` muscle.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

I think you should not start off with hst. A newbie will make great gains with a simple program. Once gains slow down then hst is one of many options. Why use up all the tricks for hypertrophy before you need them? I am not saying that hst will not work for newbies, I am just saying that it wont be any better than non-hst work.

It seems to me like HST is a good routine for newbies. It's a very simple routine that works.

BUT.

I think most newbies have problems with focus. I believe that newbies do better when the reps are low, sets are high and the weights are low. So instead of doing 2-3 sets of 10 of everything, I'd prefer to see 8-10 sets of 3 with a fairly short rest break and the same weight they would use for 2-3 sets of 10. The reasons are:

1. Newbies have a tendency to flop the weights around when their concentration starts to go. That teaches bad form and is dangerous.
2. Newbies have a tendency to cheat like hell when they get fatigued. That teaches bad form and is dangerous.
3. After 3-4 reps they start to get fatigued AND their concentration starts to go. See 1 and 2 above.

I've heard some people say that reps should be high with new lifters because they need to learn the form but I think that high reps at that stage teaches bad form. They should stick to low reps until they've mastered the movement.

But. That's just me. And I'm a pencil neck.

Back