Getting enough calories.

jkismul

Hey, i was looking over my diet, and reading the article on eating for size.

Eat for size

where meal 1, probably brakfast, for a 2500 calorie diet is 6 eggs, some oatmeal and a fruit..

now when i'm as hungry as i can be i would eat 3 eggs.. possibly 4, but then i'd be uncomfortably stuffed..

especially at bereakfast-times i have a hard time eating, uasually only get 1 egg and a slice of bread, polus a weightgainshake(only way to get some calories in my breakfast)

any suggestions to what i can do to eat more? i'm supposed to be at about 2700 calories, and getting over 2000 is quite hard... how on earth do you 3.500cal guys eat 9 eggs in one meal?

thanks in advance :)

jkismul,

I think this is a problem alot of us have. And just remember that was just 2 eggs and 6 egg whites. Here are a few ways to go about it.

Ease into it. Over 3 weeks slowly up your portions. Let your system get used to it.

Eat smaller meals and more of them.

Eat slowly I will work on one of those monster omeletts over about 15 minutes.

MRPs here and there can help == they are easy to make and are not as filling as a regular meal. But only use them to replace one or two feedings a day.

just some ideas.

Bon Apetite,

Bob :confused:

There's two alternatives:
Eat food that is less clean, (pizza, burgers). Calories tend to add up really quickly that way. Some lean guys can get away with a lot. My roommate pretty much survived on pizza his freshman year, had no activity whatsoever and yet maintained his six pack. (I'd guess he's 6.5%. Just superhuman insulin sensitivity).
Let me give you an example. By watching me, I got my roommate interested in eating right and working out. This last summer he started eating oatmeal, eggs, cottage cheese, etc. What happened? He lost weight big time (a lot of it muscle), and this is an already skinny guy. He just couldn't get the calories he needed to even maintain his weight by eating clean, and I'd bet if he'd stuck with a less-clean diet he would have seen much better gains. (His strength still improved from newbie gains, even though his lean mass decreased! )
The second option, if you are one of those phobic of gaining any fat, is to suck it up. It sounds harsh, but it is not. I really try to be even handed because I've seen the other side of the coin (my roommate), but it's really tough for some of us to sympathize when we can pound down 4000 clean calories no problem (and probably 6000+ junk calories).
The easiest approach I can suggest for you is a combination of the two; Eat 3 - 5 smaller clean meals, and then eat 3 mrp powder meals in addition (as was wisely suggested in the previous post). Liquid meals are the easiest way to pack in calories, and even though all they are is protein+sugar, it's still better than not getting those calories at all, and you can probably get away with it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (KingProtein @ Jan. 26 2003,11:40)]Liquid meals are the easiest way to pack in calories, and even though all they are is protein+sugar, it's still better than not getting those calories at all, and you can probably get away with it.
add some olive or flax oil into these shakes as well, if you have the time and money. often times people say it tastes even better. and adds yet more (healthy, unsaturated fat) calories to boot. or mix the shakes with whole milk (saturated fat, but oh well, you'll burn it off ;) )

I find it tough to hit enough calories with clean food, too. I'm one of those people who have been "sort of dieting" for many, many years (despite not losing much fat -- stayed around 22%), and probably had suppressed thyroid action for a long time. When I recently started bulking for the first time, my fabled resistance to cold -- which I though I lost when I was 20 -- came back as my metabolism revved up.

I don't have trouble with breakfast, though; I've always been a big breakfast person. Acclimation will help -- you'll get used to it, to some degree, if you keep up the habit. My only problem with a 9-egg (7-eggwhite) ommelette is pan spillage.

Also, have you already started your HST cycle? You'll find that appetite will kick up SIGNIFICANTLY after one or two workouts at the 15's. (I call it awakening the tapeworm.)

thanks for all advice guys :)

what do you do wilth all the remaining egg yolks(?), just throw them away or is there any food they can be used for?

i'm on my 11th day of SD now, so i hope i'll get more of an appetite next week, when i begin. oh and there's loads of work these days. doing 3 guys work.. not fun.. :confused:

well got protein powder + weightgain during my sd, so, if this dividing of egg white from yolk works that well(doesn't make me as full as a whole egg) ill be up at my 3500+ cal when beginning my cycle..hopefully

You could eat half the eggs at breakfast and take half to work microwave them there.

Also here's some more "good" food to have around your job.

fat: Nuts and 100% Natural Peanut Butter

Protien: Low fat Cottage cheese (if you have a refrigerate)

I am one my second week-of 15's and I can't get enough calories. I upped my carbs about 100g and still hungry. I just adjust my CHO intake for caloric needs. I take cottage cheese, almonds and tuna fish to work quite often.

mikeh: i already make some hash(eggs, meat and stuff cut up and put in a frying pan) with 3 eggs in it as lunch. near 900 cals.
could possibly use only/mostly yolks in this, and get the whites as breakfast...

anyways, i just checked out Blade's updates to the nutrition-post on the faq, and he says something about getting 12-15% cals as proteins, and i believe that i'm way above this.. (i just count calories, and eat lots of protein containing stuff + protein shakes)

and i'm quite sure my fat-intake is less than 20%, but about 30% should be best for testosteron-levels..

so, should i:

start counting fat/carb/proteins (isn't this a pain in the butt?)

start mixing some flaxseed/olive oil in my MRP's

thus in a 2500cal diet giving me something like this?
15% protein(93,75 grams),
30% fat(83,3 grams),
55% carbs(343,75 grams)?

it sounds like an awful lot of fat.. ?

hmmm just read the FAQ

Blade, was the mass post a copy and paste from Bryan??
Is 15% Protein for REAL skinny guys or low body fat (less than 10%)??

would a mass diet look like this:
15% protein
30% fat
55% carbs

jkismul

My mass diet is as follows:
30% protein (1gm per lb)
20% fat
50% carbs

Stress kills gains
crazy.gif

mikeh

Almost everything is from Bryan, as the title of the forum says - I've added some comments and posts here and there, I'll quote them so you can tell who said what.

The 15% is from a research paper (not specifically towards athletes), but I lean towards the 1g/lbs of protein for bodybuilders - whichever is highest. See, if a 200lbs bodybuilder was eating 5000 calories per day - 15% would equal 190g/day, not too far off from the 1g/day rec. If you eat a more moderate hypercaloric - or even maintenance - 3000kcal/day diet, 15% of calories (or 112.5g) in protein would obviously be insufficient.

Read Lyle's comments further down in that thread for more information.

ok, after reading what lyle had to say, i still have some questions..

my original plan was just to count calories, keep fat relatively low, and eat lots of protein.. but now i still have the impression that too much proteins may be counterproductive, so.. should i try to have an upper limit to my protein-intake?

ex. get atleast 1g/lbs --> 165g protein per day. should i aim for something like 180g max? (just a number i made up now) to avoid getting too far above the 15% stuff (93g or so).
or should i just forget about those 15%?

and i'm still not sure about the fat.. guess i want my test-level at it's optimum, which means 30% according to bryan, but lyle says 20-25%. which to chose and why?

oh, and i'm i going into too much detail here?

sorry for all the near-moronic questions, but diet is far from my strong point :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jkismul @ Jan. 28 2003,1:51)]what do you do wilth all the remaining egg yolks(?), just throw them away or is there any food they can be used for?
My dog loves them. But he usually gets disappointed. . .

I buy Eggbeaters, Nulaid, and other egg-replacement products. These products are 99% egg white, with a little color, vegetable gum, and flavor to make them seem more like regular eggs. Mix that with whole eggs, and you're set. (It's FAR more convenient than breaking that many eggs and seperating yolks.)

You can, of course, save the eggs and use them. There are recipes out there. But then you have to eat THAT stuff. . . yolks are very fatty.

how bout you make boiled eggs and take the yolk out the middle and eat it later when you need some fat .I do it sometimes if i can be bothered.

Is it even worthwhile to remove the yolks for breakfast? I used to do this, but decided I really needed the extra fat to get near 30%. I suppose the fat slows digestion a bit, which might not be ideal for breakfast?

Back