Glycemic Index, Particle Size and Oats

spikehead

I started putting oatmeal in my morning and pre/post workout shakes as a source of medium glycemic index (GI) carbs but didn't like how it got gooey after blending. To get around that I decided to grind the oatmeal into a powder using a coffee grinder. That way all my ingredients are either liquid or powder and I can just shake it in a bottle and chug, no goo. Anyway, it turns out that pulverizing oats increases its GI. Here's a quote I found here.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How Correct Are Glycemic Index Values?
Glycemic Index values are usually listed with their value, type of subjects tested to gain values, and original source of data. This information is valuable when determining whether one personally finds the values relevant. Also, if two values have been published for a given food both will be provided, or shown how the mean was found. Usually these values are reassuring because they are generally consistent. An example is that apples may only vary between thirty-two and forty in four separate studies. Although these values are quite close, GI values should not be expected to be exact(Miller,1995).
There are some instances of great variation. Porridge may be scored as low as forty two and as high as seventy five due to methods of cooking and processing. Particle size is also important. As the particle size decreases the glycemic index increases. Also to be considered is gelatinization. The greater the degree in starches the higher the glycemic index. Particle size and gelatinization help to explain why the GI's of bread and pasta differ so much.
With an accurate Glycemic Index, one should be able to determine which foods will illicit high or low insulin responses. "In general insulin responses follow the rank order of glycemic responses" (Milller,1995). This would be supportive of the Sugarbusters diet in which lower GI foods are encouraged because of low insulin levels.
Is anyone else aware of this? Does anyone know how much I'm affecting the GI of oatmeal by grinding it up? What other options do I have for moderate GI carbs that aren't gooey and I can put in a shake?  :confused:

Food won't leave your stomach unless it's around a mm or so in size, so I wouldn't worry about how big it is ENTERING the stomach.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jester @ May 02 2005,12:11)]Food won't leave your stomach unless it's around a mm or so in size, so I wouldn't worry about how big it is ENTERING the stomach.
If you are at all worried about GI, then yes it is a worry how big the particle size is before entering the stomach.

Becuase the smaller the particle size = the quicker it exits to the duodenum and onwards. The larger the particle size, the longer it takes,.

a simple concept within the area of GI

Back