Good fast foods ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Manic @ May 12 2004,1:10)]Well, I didn't want to sound alarmist.
You didn't provide me with any rsearch or links to support your assertions, but I’m glad it’s not a concern for you. It’s also probably not a concern for people eating fresh meat, vegetables and fruit.
But why would health leaders want to sensitize people to TFA “dangers” if there weren’t any?
Anyway, here’s some info easily found on the net (which you’re probably aware off -- anyway)
http://www.fda.gov/oc/initiatives/transfat/q_a.html :
Q: Why Should I Care About Trans fat?
A: It’s important to know about trans fat because there is a direct, proven relationship between diets high in trans fat content and LDL (“bad”) cholesterol levels and, therefore, an increased risk of coronary heart disease – a leading cause of death in the US.
Trans fats result from hydrogenation (explained below). They increase total and LDL (bad) cholesterol levels, which increases fatty buildups in arteries and raises the risk of heart attack and stroke.
(www.americanheart.org).
only dairy fat, beef, and lamb naturally contain trans fats. Other meat animals may contain trans fats if these twisted molecules are added to their foods. Certified organic meat does not contain trans fats. (www.udoerasmus.com)
·  Trans Fats are present in partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, which are found in many margarines and in shortening.
·  trans fats are widespread in processed foods, including some granola bars, breakfast cereals, low fat foods, fish sticks, frozen pizza, and other frozen foods.
·  trans fats are abundant in many baked goods (baked bad?) such as donuts, crackers, cookies, cakes, bread, and frostings.
·  trans fats are present in some puddings, peanut butter, instant soup mixes, and microwave popcorn.
·  trans fats are used in some spreads, sauces, dips, and gravy mixes.
·  trans fats are part of powdered non-dairy coffee creamers.
·  trans fats are used for frying in many fast food restaurants.
·  trans fats are present in French fries packaged for home frying.
·  Many potato and corn chips are fried in partially hydrogenated vegetable oils containing trans fats.
·  trans fats are present even in some cooking oils (www.udoerasmus.com)
“Harvard School of Public Health’s (conservative) estimate of 30,000 annual American deaths from eating trans fats” (www.udoerasmus.com)
“Other research suggests that Trans Fatty acids interfere with vision and learning in children; correlate with increased breast and prostate cancer; increase platelet stickiness and thereby raise risk of stroke and embolism, as well as heart attack. trans fats interfere with the liver’s detoxification function. They impair both male and female reproduction in animals (no human studies have been published). trans fats change the way our immune system functions. And trans fats make essential n-3 and n-6 fatty acid requirement higher by interfering with the functions of these two essential fatty acids in our body.” (www.udoerasmus.com)
All your post said was what I said originally.
1. not a real concern unless you eat lots of processed crackers, biscuits, breads or frozen dinners
2. Worrying about scant amounts of TFA's in food like PB is a waste of time. TFA's in scant amounts is present in many foods d/t other hydrogenation processes.

If your diet consists of biscuits, fish sticks, and fried cheese sticks on a routine basis, you should worry. Someone who is wondering about healthy fast food choices (the original poster) has nothing to worry about b/c they are obviously cognizant of their diet.

Before you impress anyone else with your superior acumen remember the audience.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Before you impress anyone else with your superior acumen remember the audience.

Sorry if I have offended you. The references were meant to add precision to the conversation.

The part I didn't quite agree with was:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]TFA's are not really a concern unless you eat tons of processed carb foods"

But it's okay. we can just leave it there.

M.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Manic @ May 13 2004,1:43)]Sorry if I have offended you. The references were meant to add precision to the conversation.
Quoting from udo erasmus does not provide precision to the conversation, he isnt exactly the best source of information.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ May 13 2004,3:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Manic @ May 13 2004,1:43)]Sorry if I have offended you. The references were meant to add precision to the conversation.
Quoting from udo erasmus does not provide precision to the conversation, he isnt exactly the best source of information.
Udo's choice will make you hyoooge!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Manic @ May 12 2004,7:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Before you impress anyone else with your superior acumen remember the audience.
Sorry if I have offended you. The references were meant to add precision to the conversation.
The part I didn't quite agree with was:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]TFA's are not really a concern unless you eat tons of processed carb foods"
But it's okay. we can just leave it there.
M.
Remember that there is still no guideline for how much TFA will elicit a negative response. Some fish will have mercury, some chicken will have arsenic, etc, etc. Enough of it will be bad or well.........deadly. Obviously a diet that controls fat content will help control TFA content by shear fat available.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
All your post said was what I said originally.
1. not a real concern unless you eat lots of processed crackers, biscuits, breads or frozen dinners
2. Worrying about scant amounts of TFA's in food like PB is a waste of time. TFA's in scant amounts is present in many foods d/t other hydrogenation processes.
If your diet consists of biscuits, fish sticks, and fried cheese sticks on a routine basis, you should worry. Someone who is wondering about healthy fast food choices (the original poster) has nothing to worry about b/c they are obviously cognizant of their diet.
Before you impress anyone else with your superior acumen remember the audience.
Cliner is my boy
worship.gif

KC

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ May 13 2004,3:53)]
[b said:
Aaron : I agree, I should've quoted from Harvard. But I don't see anything wrong in the quotes' content.

I quoted from Udo Erasmus out of convenience. But, as it's implied on his site (which I don't care about per se) and in one my quotes, the info (or most of it) comes from Harvard studies.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/reviews/transfats.html

I hope the discussions can go on without useless contempt. (And if I have sounded contemptuous, myself, I'm truly sorry.)

M.

Take into note American researchers, especially Walter Willett tend to take american research into account only, and Willett tends to rate his own research, with its many many problems above others.
Some points to take into account

Type of research that was done
Blood collection
Food intake estimate (willett used an FFQ, no matter what his protests, not exactly the best choice, but it is ok for epidemiology research, which his is, but not accurate enough for nutrition research :))
Subject losses
Subjects themselves (Are nurses and doctors the PERFECT example of the american population?)
etc

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Manic @ May 12 2004,1:10)]Q: Why Should I Care About Trans fat?
A: It’s important to know about trans fat because there is a direct, proven relationship between diets high in trans fat content and LDL (“bad”) cholesterol levels and, therefore, an increased risk of coronary heart disease – a leading cause of death in the US.
Trans fats result from hydrogenation (explained below). They increase total and LDL (bad) cholesterol levels, which increases fatty buildups in arteries and raises the risk of heart attack and stroke.
(www.americanheart.org).
only dairy fat, beef, and lamb naturally contain trans fats.
I was totally unaware that there were trans fats in beef. I know that you should be careful when you cook beef, since it can contain pyrenes, which may be a by product of the fats being cooked off of it. The best way to avoid pyrenes is to marinate the meat in Criollo, lemon pepper, or some kind of garlic base. This cuts the strands of the fats and eliminates the risks. Or so I have heard. I have been told that meat should be marinated for at least 6 to 8 hours prior to cooking. It may be best to wash it after cooking to reduce fat as well. Hot water works for that.

Stretch

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jwjpilot @ May 11 2004,10:22)]<span style='color:black'>It wonder at the thought that Subway wheat bread is better than the white bread. From the Subway nutrition info site there are almost no differences in the two: .5 gram extra of saturated fat in the white, a tiny bit more of Vitamin C, a tiny bit more Iron in the wheat and a little more sodium in the wheat.
Almost no difference in my mind.
That is not to say across the board there is no difference in white or whole wheat bread, there is a difference but you have to check it.</span>
Anyone who tells you that Subway, with it's pre processed meats and crap dressings is good for you is out of their mind. It may be better than some, but it's actually a bucket of fries masquerading as a salad.

Face it. Pollution and carbon dioxide is at an all time high. The ozone layer is disappearing. There is nuclear waste everywhere. Our water is contaminated. Colder winters and warmer summers mean more of an eccentric orbit. And whether or not you believe the Bible, the end is near anyway, thanks to the millions of brainless dolts who consistently and purposely misinterpret the meaning of it in order to line their pockets. Of course, the same could be said for Islam and the OPEC nations.

That's why I use one of the best supps available. Fookitol. That stuff basically makes me bulletproof. And if you are sooo sensitive to minute traces of elemenst of an irregualr basis, then you are probably lacking in something to begin with, or you are doing something wrong. When was the last time you heard of someone dying from Fried Chicken? I mean, eating it and collapsing? Doesn't happen. In fact, the local joint around here was caught with rats in their supply, battered and dipped. Yumm. No one keeled. Some chicks probably wish they did.

Probably the most dangerous thing I've ever eaten was a hairy taco. It tried to bump me off, split with my credit cards, and said bad things about me to my mom. For some reason, it's still on the menu. Probably the most dangerous thing you can do for your health is the stress of worrying about what you should and shouldn't eat. That prolly kills more people than anyone.

Stretch

If you're doing fast food and can't get out of it, insist on Wendy's and get the Chicken Spinach Salad. It has spinach and actual green leaf lettuce rather than crappy lettuce. Chicken (of course) and egg. Other vegetables in there, too.
I have it on my fitday somewhere...lemme check the numbers...
Salad Alone: 310 (14f/10c/33p)
Croutons: 70 (3f/9c/1p)
Dressing: 120 (3f/24c/0p)
Leave out the croutons and dressing if you're going LC.

Back