Green Tea

bobpit

In the last several cycles, whenever I was lifting heavy, I would drink green tea about 30-60 minutes before the wo. And I did very good. I think it helped me lift up to 10% more from previous PRs.

Now I wo without drinking tea. I have a feeling like I could not lift the same as before (when I was drinking green tea).

My question is this: Green tea definitely helps me lift more short term. So, should I take it? My goal is to increase size and strength LONG TERM. I guess if drink tea and then have great workouts, this will help me build strength and muscles. But does it really work like this?

From the FAQs:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Green tea has compounds that block COMT. I stopped using as much green tea when I found that they were anti-androgenic. They not only block androgen at the receptor, thay also apear to downregulate androgen receptors.

Green tea is basically an anti-endocrine factor. It seems to reduce the effects of all steroid hormones. I don't mean to freak anybody out, it's just that the flavones (especially epigallocatechin gallate) are well known to reduce the actions of endogenous androgens (and estrogens) as well as even lowering testosterone levels themselves.

Anyway, my point is that, you may never see any significant effect of drinking green tea on muscle gains. Then again, we know that it is having an antagonistic effect, however small, in a direction oposite to what we want with respect to testosterone.

Cultures that consume a lot of green tea are also known to have fewer androgenic &quot;manifestations&quot; both normal (body hair, muscle mass, etc) as well as fewer pathologic manifestations (prostate problems, and other cancers associated with steroid hormones).

Fat is a different story. It clearly helps fat loss by altering catecholamine metabolism and probably a few other things.</div>

I also drink green tea for numeral reasons. Its the only addition to my diet and supps that I have noticed significant effects from (and then I am talking about stuff like creatine and whey powder which are the real deal), whether placebo or not:
Astma gets better (short term and long term)
Skin rash gets better (short term and long term)
Allergy gets better (short term and long term)
Energy gets better (short term)
Performance gets better (short term)

And the other things it said to that I havent noticed yet but I might also be getting:
health benefits
fat burning properties

I drink green tea just because I like it. I haven't really noticed anything from it but then I've never controlled for other variables or anything to determine if it is doing anything.

bobpit, have you considered that it might be the caffeine in the green tea? That stuff doesn't have tons of caffeine, but if you are more sensitive to the effects of caffeine, then it is possible.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jun. 25 2008,9:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">bobpit, have you considered that it might be the caffeine in the green tea? That stuff doesn't have tons of caffeine, but if you are more sensitive to the effects of caffeine, then it is possible.</div>
I know it is the caffeine that gives me the boost. My body is clean of caffeine and alcohol. So when I drink them, it does affect me.

But my question still remains: &quot;My goal is to increase size and strength LONG TERM. I guess if drink tea and then have great workouts, this will help me build strength and muscles. But does it really work like this?&quot;

One thing that I find odd is that I have never noticed an energy boost from coffe or caffeine. Not that i drink it, but when I have tried it I have not noticed anything at all. But I do notice an energy boost when drinking green tea. I drink 7 dl of it at a time on the other hand though, might have something to do with it
tounge.gif

<div>
(bobpit @ Jun. 25 2008,10:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Totentanz @ Jun. 25 2008,9:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">bobpit, have you considered that it might be the caffeine in the green tea? That stuff doesn't have tons of caffeine, but if you are more sensitive to the effects of caffeine, then it is possible.</div>
I know it is the caffeine that gives me the boost. My body is clean of caffeine and alcohol. So when I drink them, it does affect me.

But my question still remains: &quot;My goal is to increase size and strength LONG TERM. I guess if drink tea and then have great workouts, this will help me build strength and muscles. But does it really work like this?&quot;</div>
if a 'stimulant' allows you to inflict a greater tension stimulus to your muscles, than I would imagine that would lead to more hypertrophy.

assuming SD works, you should be able to keep growing and keep your gunz even if you stop using that stimulant.

WHAT?! green tea for bbing? i had no idea! not really sure about that one...

but what's a good frequency to drink it for its benefits? once a day or so?

<div>
(Sniggel @ Jun. 25 2008,2:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">One thing that I find odd is that I have never noticed an energy boost from coffe or caffeine. Not that i drink it, but when I have tried it I have not noticed anything at all.</div>
I drink a couple of cups of coffee to jump start my heart in the morning...

Back