Ground oats

Steve McDermott

After reading about this possibility elsewhere, I decided to give it a try. I took 1/4 cup of whole oats and ground them in a coffee grinder. This produced a fairly fine powder. I added it to my protein shake, and it was very good. It doesn't disolve, but it's not too intrusive either. The taste was great. I figure that it's a way to add healthy carbs to my morning protein shake. I have also considered grinding whole flax seeds and adding a tablespoon of those as well.

Voila, home made MRP.

My concern is that I'm not sure what effect grinding has on the GI of the oats. Does it hasten the gastric uptake, or would it remain the same? I would imagine that by pulverizing them into powder that they would be absorbed more quickly, but I'm not sure.

Any thoughs??

Steve

i think by grinding up the oats, you increase the GI as well.

Basically, the grinding makes digestion easier and faster. But i think this is irrelevant as you included protein, fats (flax seeds) and fiber (flax seeds) with the oats.

The GI index is kinda useless in this case.

It increases GI by increasing surface area for digestion. The difference, I think, is 50-75%.

cheers,
Jules

Thanks guys. I susupected that it may be a wash when mixed together. I still don't think I'll use in post workout, but other than that I will give it a try.

Steve

you can get cheap maltodexdtrin powder from a place charles poliquin told me about. he mentions it in his ...question of strength articles in t-mag in the first year of publication online and gives a phone number. Don't be shocked if the guy answers the phone in french...it threw me off the first time. I don't have the number handy or I would give it to you. a tub of the stuff will last a year or more for around 90.00 us

Good idea, I think I'm going to start doing this as well... Also, just because flax seed oil is being added, it will not significantly slow down absorbtion, rather you need a more "solid" fat source (i.e. natural peanut butter or a seed source.) But in the morning, who cares... I don't mind a slightly higher insulin release at that time.

how can grinding the oats drop there nutritional value all the oats are still eaten.
I put my oats protein + milk into a grinder then drink .
There not fine like he said the oats don't get grinded that much and the shake is really thick and can feel the oats when i drink it.
Will that lower the oats value ? because i take around 3 of these a day ...

Don, nobody said the nutritional value is lower. . . but because the oats are pulverized, they will be digested more quickly. This makes them act less like a complex carbohydrate and more like a simple sugar (to overblow the difference.)

Steve, even if you manage to turn the oats into microfine powder, there's still a hefty amount of fiber in there, which will still mediate the GI index. For comparison, whole rolled oat porrige has a GI index around 51; Quaker Quick Oats come in at 65; whole oat flour porrige has an index of 75.

will the way i do it make the gi higher ?
Cause it's still chunky as hell and i only blend for about 10 seconds

I wouldn't worry too much about it. GI is altered with everything else you put in there anyway. Stress = cortisol, which is bad for you :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (thedon @ Jan. 06 2003,11:55)]will the way i do it make the gi higher ?
Cause it's still chunky as hell and i only blend for about 10 seconds
I'm sure it makes very little difference. Take Blade's advice and relax -- keeping the stress down will make as much or more difference!

You can also grind up other grains. Uncooked brown rice works well as far as powdering, but settles much faster than oats do, so you will have to shake or stir between sips.

Back