Grunt11's Training Log

Dag! I'm gone for a few months dealing with personal issues, and you've gone and passed up all my PB's! Nice work.

I'm pleased to see your 350 lb Deadlift, but frankly I'm much more impressed by your 350 lb Squat. My squat PB's always seem to trail behind those of my deads by 50 lbs and more.

You've done a man's job, sir!

It’s great to see you back TR!

I was so stoked when I got that 350 lb. Squat. The rep was nice and smooth, no stalling or slowing at all. I was so sure the next week I could get or at least get close to a 400 lbs. Deadlift I was pretty disappointed the bar didn’t even move at 365 lbs. I attribute it to focusing on my Squat for 4 weeks working on form by box Squatting. Now I’m planning to give equal time to my Deadlift to get it back up to 50-60 lbs. above my Squat where it should be.

I’m also very happy that during that same time I was re-comping and dropped 2% body fat while maintaining my body weight.

Max Effort Upper Body Today:

Max Effort:
Flat Bench Press 95 lbs. x 5, 135 lbs. x 5, 165 lbs. x 5, 195 lbs. x 5, 200 lbs. x 5 x 4.

Supplemental:
Triceps Dips BW x 12 +4 +4

Accessory:
Wide Grip Lat Pulls 80 lbs. x 15 +5
Seated Incline BB Shoulder Press 100 lbs. x 15 +4
Parallel Grip Lat Pulls 80 lbs. x 15 +5
Leaning Lateral Raise 15 lbs. x 15 +5 +5
Supported DB Rows 75 lbs. x 15 +5
Hanging Leg Raises BW x 15 +5 +5
Incline DB Curls 17.5 x 15 +5
Overhead DB Triceps Extensions 15 lbs. x 15 +5

Today I officially kicked off the new cycle. The workouts early this week were just to get me use to pushing weight again after SD rather than jump right into a ME or DE session. I did the first ME workout today instead of Friday since I have tomorrow off (federal holiday) which gives me the opportunity to do my lower body ME on Saturday instead of doing them back-to-back.

I elected to use a 5/3/1 progression for my first three ME workouts this cycle. For the next micro cycle I will try 3/2/1 to see how that works.

I failed on the lockout on the 5th rep of the last ME set so I decided to make Triceps Dips my Supplemental Exercise. Usually they recommend Board Presses or Lockouts but I want to see if Triceps Dips help since I think they are a better overall exercise and I don’t want to drop them completely while at the same time keeping the pressing movements limited to 3 for now.

Max Effort Lower Body Today:

Max Effort:
Box Squat 95 lbs. x 10, 135 lbs. x 5, 185 lbs. x 3, 225 lbs. x 1, 275 lbs. x 1, 300 lbs. x 1, 305 lbs. x 1

Supplemental:
Dead Good Mornings Bar x 10, 95 lbs. x 8, 115 lbs. x 8, 135 lbs. x 8

Accessory:
BB Shrugs 245 lbs. x 15 x 15 x 15
GHR BW (-30 lbs.) x 10, BW (-28 lbs.) x 10 x 10
Leg Extensions 75 lbs. x 15 +5 +5 +5 +5

I added 10 lbs. to my Box Squat so I hope that translates to my Free Squat. For the Dead Good Mornings I’m using a wide stance the same as I Squat and Deadlift with. I was able to lower the assistance on the GHR for the first time. Only 2 lbs. but that was also after two other Glute/Hamstring intensive exercises so at least I’m making a little progress on them.

I went ahead and stayed with a max effort single for the Squat instead of 5/3/1 like I’m doing on the Bench Press since it seemed to work well the last time around. Although next time I will probably add in a drop set to get more reps after maxing out.

I just realized today that my Olympic bar is bent. I didn’t think 350 lbs. would bend a standard Olympic bar maybe it’s just cheap.

Dynamic Upper & Lower Today:

AM Workout

Dynamic Effort:
Box Squats 150 lbs. (+28 lbs. bands) x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2
Flat Bench Press 85 lbs. (+28 lbs. bands) x 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 x 3
3” Deficit Deadlifts 155 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1

Supplemental:
Triceps Dips BW (170 lbs.) + 5 lbs. x 15 +5
Dead Good Mornings 140 lbs. x 12 +4 +4

Accessory:
Wide Grip Lat Pulls 90 lbs. x 15 +5
Seated Incline Shoulder Press 105 lbs. x 15 +5
Close Parallel Grip Lat Pulls 90 lbs. x 15 +5
GHR BW – 26 lbs. bands x 10 +5 +5

PM Workout:

Accessory:
Leg Presses 315 lbs. x 15 +5 +5 +5 +5 +5
BB Shrugs 225 lbs. x 15 x15 x15
Supported DB Row 80 lbs. x 15 +5

Metabolic:
Incline Bench Press 95 lbs. x 25
Close Grip Chin Ups 90 lbs. x 25

Last edited:
I figured out today why the Leg Presses at work seemed way too hard. I was struggling to get 12 reps with 315 lbs. the last few times I was in there when I Squated 350 lbs. Since you’re supposed to be able to Leg Press much more than you Squat because of the stability I thought there was something wrong. Well I figured out today the two plates always hanging on it when I get there aren’t 45 lbs. but 45 kg. So I only had about 90 lbs. more on it than I thought I did. I corrected that today and they felt a lot better.

I thought I was going to feel pretty hammered later today and at first thought that was happening, however around 6:30 PM I started feeling really good. Not as much soreness or stiffness as I had expected and my energy level is way up and not completely tanked. I’m not sure what’s up. It might just be that none of the weights I used today are all that heavy, either at or below 70% of my 1RM. It might also be that I changed up how I’m eating a little. I really upped the calories to make sure I was getting over maintenance. I also doubled the complex carbs in the first post workout shake, and increased the amount in the second one by half. Plus instead of waiting 5 hours between shakes I only waited 3 so I got a lot more nutrients in a shorter amount of time post workout. Another factor may be that the GPP work, hill sprints for now, may be paying off in better overall stamina. Whatever it is I hope it’s not some one-off thing.

I took 2 lbs. more resistance off the GHRs today, not much but still showing signs of improvement I hope.

The Dynamic work felt really good today. I lowered the amount of weight on the Squat and Bench to better compensate for the resistance bands. The speed Deadlifts are getting faster and if I don’t increase the weight may start to become Cleans the bar was coming up so fast by the time I finished. It sure feels like I’m getting better at pulling fast, probably mostly due to confidence I’m not going to F-up my back.

Hey Grunt, you've got some interesting lifting and some good progress going on here. I'll be checking in to see how your cycle continues.

Re your O-bar bending: I bent my cheaper bar when I dropped it on one end with about 250lb on the bar. It's bent near to one of the sleeves. It isn't much but it's still a nuisance. My newer York bar is much higher quality but it cost about double my first bar. If your bar bent in the middle with 350 lbs loaded on it then, yeah, I suspect it is not great quality steel. :)

Thanks for the feedback on the bar. Yeah it bent in the middle, not much of one but enough that it only fits on my back that one way now. I suspected it wasn’t great quality since both this and the other one I bought at the same place had bad collars holding on one sleeve so I had to cannibalize the good collar from one and put it on the other to make one good bar for heavy lifts.

I’ve done a lot of reading on conjugate training and specifically the Westside Barbell template for powerlifting. I have no doubt that HST is the best hypertrophy program I’ve seen however I realized that while focusing exclusively on hypertrophy got me some great gains in a short time especially for my age I was neglecting other aspects of my training. I looked at several training methods including just adding in other work to my HST workouts but Westside seemed to be the one I could learn the most from about what works for me in the least amount of time which is important to me getting back into this so late in the game. And I’ve already learned a lot in a short amount of time.

I improved my Squat form greatly going from 300 lbs. to 350 lbs. in just a few weeks. I wasn’t warming up enough on my 1RM attempts which hurt the max I could lift. I realized I can do cardio while lifting by doing things like hill sprints rather than steady state. I’ve learned how to do dynamic lifts properly, where before I was just sort of going through the motions. I discovered that my Hamstrings aren’t nearly as strong as I thought they were. I’m learning how to identify my weaknesses and target them rather than just try to lift more (this is the heart of the Westside method).

There are also other things I’m hoping to learn more about. I’m still trying to get my mind out of the “hardgainer” mentality so doing more Active Recovery work is something I hope helps me. Also, adding in more accessory work on “off” days. Basic Westside recommendations have you doing up to 12 light Accessory lifts on the days you’re not doing Max or Dynamic Effort lifts. I’m only going to add these in slowly so I don’t suddenly kill myself with too much volume to fast.

I’m also trying to do something sneaky in that even though I’m doing 4 workouts a week 2 x Max Effort (ME) and 2 x Dynamic Effort (DE) I’ve combined both DE days into one using an AM/PM split plus I’m doing my ME days back-to-back. So my schedule looks like this:

Fri: ME Upper Body or Lower Body (alternated so each one gets the first workout every other week) (bulking diet)
Sat: ME Upper Body or Lower Body (alternated) (bulking diet)
Sun: Light Accessory Work (moderate bulking diet)
Mon: GPP (hill sprints etc. . .) (cutting diet)
Tue: DE Upper and Lower Body AM/PM split (bulking diet)
Wed: Light Accessory Work (moderate bulking diet)
Thu: GPP (hill sprints etc. . .) (cutting diet)

In theory I’m only going to be eating excess calories when my body needs them to build muscle, 48 hours out from heavy workouts and 24-36 hours out from light workouts. It has me eating the most on weekends when I just can diet due to lack of willpower. I’m only drastically cutting calories, and may even try intermittent fasting, on the cutting days which are twice a week followed by a bulking day. I already tried this diet scheme on my last 7 week cycle and lost about ½ lb. of BF/week while maintaining my body weight (measured by scale, calipers, tape measurer and mirror). Some of my muscle measurements went up especially my thighs. Now that could just be a fluke since I’ve discovered my Hamstrings are much less developed than I realized but a recomp is looking promising if I can just keep the diet under control.

Well I could keep rambling but it’s time to hit a light Accessory workout. ;)

Cheers

Accessory Workout:

Accessory:
Incline DB Curls 25 lbs. x 15
Overhead DB Extensions 15 lbs. x 15
Hanging Leg Raises BW x 15 x 15
Band Face Pulls 14 lbs. x 15 x 15
Band Flyes 14 lbs. x 15 x 15
Side Bends 40 lbs. x 15 x 15
Decline Crunches BW x 15
Standing Cable Crunches 40 lbs. x 15
Standing Band Crunches 60 lbs. x 15
Leaning Lateral Raises 15 lbs. x 15 +5
BB Calf Raises 275 lbs. x 20 x 20

Metabolic:
Incline BB Bench Press 45 lbs. x 25
Close Parallel Grip Lat Pulls 50 lbs. x 25
Leg Curls 25 lbs. x 25
Leg Extensions 25 lbs. x 25

This is way more stuff than I plan to keep and I probably won’t do all of them every Accessory Day. I just wanted to get the feel quickly for what each exercise was going to be like and what weights to start out with so I can progress them normally. Even with all these and that I experiments with multiple sets of different weights I was still done in under an hour since nothing took any sort of recovery time.

Looks like fun. I've read about the Westside method (I drive right past there every week), but I've never quite figured out how it works. Of course, I keep having to go back to beginner routines because I miss so much gym time.

You make it look like fun.

BTW: Rip has posted a nice new video regarding proper bar position for the back squat. I thought it was very helpful.

Best,

Looks like fun. I've read about the Westside method (I drive right past there every week), but I've never quite figured out how it works. Of course, I keep having to go back to beginner routines because I miss so much gym time.

You make it look like fun.

BTW: Rip has posted a nice new video regarding proper bar position for the back squat. I thought it was very helpful.

Best,

Thanks for the heads up on the video TR, I’ll check it out.

Trying to figure out the Westside method from reading various internet articles and even posts in forums has been difficult. I think I’ve got my brain wrapped around it now, however even though planning plays a big part it ultimately comes down to figuring out your weak points and what works for you to overcome them. That’s where only experience in doing it is going to prevail. My biggest worry is that I’m going to try to do too much too fast. Hell trying to tackle Westside at my level of experience is a leap but I’ve never been one to do things half-a$$ed.

Like I mentioned in a post above it’s already been a valuable learning experience. Like today I am on a cutting diet and already did Hill Sprints this afternoon. I ended up getting off work early so instead of waiting until tomorrow to do my ME Upper Body workout I’m going to hit it tonight to give me a little more time off before my ME Lower Body on Saturday. Plus now I’ll get to pig out tonight instead of waiting until tomorrow. Thing is before I started doing Hill Sprints I would have been beat by now but they actually give me more energy now that I’ve been doing them for a while.

I sure hope you can keep your gym time up. I’ve been very lucky this past year not getting sick or injured in any serious way despite beating the crap out of my body. I know I would go nuts if I couldn’t exercise 8 months in a leg cast taught me that.

Cheers

ME Upper Body Today PM

Max Effort:
Flat Bench Press Bar x 20, 95 lbs. x 10, 135 lbs. x 3, 185 lbs. x 3, 215 lbs. x 3, 205 lbs. x 3

Supplement:
Triceps Dips BW (170 lbs.) + 10 lbs.

Accessory:
Close Parallel Grip Lat Pulls 95 lbs. x 15 +5
Close Grip Lat Pulls 95 lbs. x 15 +5
Wide Grip Lat Pulls 75 lbs. x 15 +5
Supported DB Rows 95 lbs. x 15 +5
Seated Incline Shoulder Press 120 lbs. x 9 +3 +3
Seated Incline DB Curls 20 lbs. x 15 +5
Incline DB Bench Press 35 lbs. x 15 +5
Leaning Lateral Raises 17.5 lbs. x 15 +5 +5
Overhead DB Triceps Extensions 17.5 x 15 +5

GPP (AM) Hill Sprints 5 x 120m

Today felt pretty good for a PM workout after a half day at work and pretty much fasting most of the day, something I’m not use too.

The third rep on the 215 lbs. Bench Press was just plain ugly. For a split second I almost dumped the bar but then just managed to muscle it up. I won’t know for sure but it seems that the exercises I’m doing to help get the bar off my chest are working as both times I’ve started to fail in the last two weeks were during the lockout rather than the first part of the lift.

The Shoulder Presses seemed way too hard during the activation set and the first Myo-rep set. While waiting to do the second Myo-rep set I’m looking at the bar and it dawned on me that 45 plus 50 actually equals 95 and not 85 so it turned out I had 120 lbs. rather than the 110 lbs. I was supposed to have.

I know it looks like I have a lot of accessory work however, if you count the total sets and reps it’s really not as much as it look like.

Based on how my arms felt today I think I will have to de-load some on Tuesday’s DE workouts to allow more recovery for 1RM attempts on next week’s ME workouts.

ME Lower Body Today:

Max Effort:
Box Squats Bar x 15, 95 x 10, 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 225 x 1, 275 x 1, 310 x 1, 295 x 1 x 1

Supplemental:
Dead Good Mornings Bar x 10, 95 x 6, 140 x 8, 145 x 8, 150 x 8

Assistance:
GHM BW (- 26 lbs. bands) x 10 +4 +4 +4
BB Shrugs 265 x 15 x 15 x 15 x 15

I added another 5 lbs. to my Box Squat for a total of 15 lbs. for the first two weeks of this cycle. I’m not sure how much of that is strength or if most of it is just improving my form on the Box Squat since they are still relatively new to me. I’ll see next week if any of it translates over to my max Free Squat.

I’m progressing the weight slowly on the Good Mornings because I don’t want of F-up my already bad back, especially since I’m doing them dead. However, one good thing about doing them dead is I’m getting much better at focusing on tightening my core.

I’ve gotten more flexible in my arms/shoulders so that my arms don’t hurt anymore after Squatting. I’ve read about people screwing themselves up from that so I’ve done a lot of stretching and gotten even better at creating a shelf out of my detls to hold the bar.

I sure can tell that the weak link in my Squat and probably also then my Deadlift are my Hamstrings. I caught myself rocking forward on the first 295 lbs. lift after my max. Too bad my GHR didn’t improve again today, however I may have shortchanged them by doing them before the Shrugs this time and not giving them more time off between the Squats and GMs, but my lower back felt weak so I wanted to give it a break.
I’ll have to figure out how I want to de-load a little on my DE workout Tuesday to be ready to test my Maxs on Friday and Saturday.

Accessory Workout Today AM (very AM)

Accessory:
Free Squat Bar x 25
Parallel Grip Lat Pulls 40 lbs. x 25
Incline DB Press 35 lbs. x 25

Incline DB Curls 20 lbs. x 15 +5
Overhead DB Triceps Extensions 20 lbs. x 15 +5
Band Flyes 26 lbs. x 15 +5
Hanging Leg Raises BW x 15 x 15
Crunches BW +10 lbs. x 15 x 15
Side Bends 45 lbs. x 15 x 15
Calf Raises 295 lbs. x 20 x 20 x 20
Leg Curls 25 lbs. x 25 (peak contraction)
Leg Extensions 30 lbs. x 25 (peak contraction)
Band Face Pulls (forgot to do them)

I went into work at 0300 to launch a mission only to find out that on the way in the takeoff time slipped 14 hours, so when I got home I figured I might as well knock out my accessory workout for today since I had to much caffeine in me to go back to sleep.

I’m going to be experimenting around with these various exercise for some time trying to figure out what’s worth keeping and what I can do without. I’m also trying to use this workout as a sort of active recovery from the previous ME workouts.

Repetition Workout Today:

Repetition:
Dips BW (170 lbs.) + 15 lbs. x 12 +4 +4
Close Parallel Grip Lat Pulls 105 lbs. x 15 +5
Low Box Squat 185 lbs. x 3
Incline DB Press 40 lbs. x 15 + 5
Close Grip Lat Pulls 105 lbs. x 15 +5
3” Deficit Deadlift 185 lbs. x 3
Seated Incline Shoulder Press 115 lbs. x 15 +4 +3
Supported DB Row 90 lbs. x 12 +4 +4
Leg Curls 60 lbs. x 15 +5
Leaning Lateral Raises 20 lbs. x 15 +5
Leg Extensions 80 lbs. x 15 +5
Overhead Triceps Extensions (skipped)
BB Calf Raises 285 lbs. x 20 x 20
Seated Incline Curls (skipped)
BB Shrugs 285 lbs. x 15 x 15

I de-loaded the dynamic work for today and just did repletion work I hopes that will help me do better on my max lifts later this week. I also took it easy on some of the exercises especially Squats and Deadlifts by just doing some warm ups. I skipped the arm isos since my right are has been hurting quite a bit again lately. Depending on how it feels by Saturday I may even skip doing a max effort Bench.

ME Lower Body Today:

Max Effort:
Squat Bar x 10, 95 lbs. x 10, 135 lbs. x 5, 185 lbs. x 3, 225 lbs. x 1, 275 lbs. x 1, 315 lbs. x 1, 355 lbs. 1 (PR), 375 lbs. (re-racked no attempt)

Sumo Deadlift 135 lbs. x 5, 185 lbs. x 3, 225 lbs. x 1, 275 lbs. x 1, 315 lbs. x 1, 375 lbs. x fail, 375 lbs. x fail, 355 lbs. x fail

Supplemental:

Walkouts 405 lbs. x 5
Rack Pulls 355 lbs. x 1, 365 lbs. x 1, 375 lbs. x 1, 385 lbs. x 1, 405 lbs. fail

Despite the Squat PR it was a pretty disappointing day as I was hoping for more. I may have sabotaged myself by not waiting until tomorrow to do my ME lifts as scheduled but because of the holiday I wanted to do my ME Lower Body today and ME Upper Body on Saturday.

While the 355 lbs. Squat was a PR it was very ugly compared to the easy 350 lbs. I did 4 weeks ago. The previous one was so easy feeling it was weird however, this one had me almost dump the bar but I muscled through it and by the time I racked the bar I was seeing stars. I un-racked the 375 lbs. and it felt so heavy I just re-racked it because I was already psychologically beat by it.

I decided to also do an ME Deadlift going for a PR even though I already Squated, hey they compete this way, but I screwed myself. I meant my first PR attempt to be 355 lbs. after missing and trying again I decided just to do some heavy work, Walkouts and Rack Pulls. While transferring the weights over to doing the Walkouts I realized I’d mistakenly put 375 lbs. on the bar for my first two Deadlift attempts. So I went ahead and reset for another Deadlift attempt at 355 lbs. but by then I was to fried to do it.

I went ahead and did the Walkouts and Rack Pulls since I realized I need to get use to the heaviness of the weights.

I’m sure other more fundamental things are also wrong such as diet. I weighed in at 169 lbs. today and my weekly average hasn’t gone up at all in three weeks. So clearly I’m not eating enough for the work I’m attempting. So for the next 4 week cycle I’m going to eat more to ensure I actually put on weight rather than attempting to recomp.

ME Upper Body Today:

Max Effort:
Flat Bench Press Bar x 20, 95 lbs. x 10, 135 lbs. x 5, 185 lbs. x 3, 215 lbs. x 1, 235 lbs. x 1 (PR)

Supplemental:
Triceps Dips BW (170 lbs.) +20 x 9 +2 +2 +2

Accessory:
Close Grip Chin Ups BW (170 lbs.) x 11 +3 +2 +2 +2
Incline DB Press 45lbs. x 15 +5
Close Parallel Grip Chin Ups BW (170 lbs.) x 9 +3 +3 +3

Ok today sort of makes up for yesterday’s disappointing ME Lower Body day. I really didn’t expect to add anything to my bench since my arms have been hurting like I just finished the 2 weeks of post 5s, sort of that feeling that even my bone marrow hurts. So when the bar went came down easier, didn’t feel like it was going to pin me to the bench, than I expected I was pretty surprised. I was also surprised how easy the bar went up, at first, but got a little shaky just before lockout. Clearly what I’ve been doing to help the lift off my chest has been working since my sticking point both doing reps and a 1RM is now at lockout. I haven’t decided yet if I’m going to swap out Dips as a supplemental exercises for Lockouts or Board Presses but something I’ll have to think about.

I switched to doing regular Chin Ups from the Lat Pulls since the friction on my cheap lat station was making 115 lbs. too hard to get started. I’ll try doing this for a while and also do lighter weight accessory work to try to keep my tendons happy.

DE Upper Body Today:

Dynamic Effort:
Flat Bench Press 90 lbs. (+ 28 lbs. bands) x 3 (12 times) (36 total)

Supplemental:
Triceps Dips BW (173 lbs.) + 22.5 lbs. x 8 +3 +3 + (fail) (14 total)

Accessory:
Close Grip Chin Ups BW (173 lbs.) x 8 +3 +3 +3 +3 +3 (23 total)
Seated Incline Shoulder Press 120 lbs. x 11 +3 +3 +3 (20 total)
Close Parallel Grip Chin Ups BW (173 lbs.) x 8 +3 +3 +3 (20 total)
Incline DB Press 45 lbs. x 14 +4 +3 (20 total)
Supported DB Row 90 lbs. x 15 +5 (20 total)

Diet:
Pre/Post Workout: 365 kCal
Meal 1: 835 kCal (1200)
Meal 2: 835 kCal (2035)
Meal 3: 1,100 kCal (3135)

I decided to split up my dynamic effort workouts this week to see how it felt. Yesterday I did my DE Lower Body but didn’t log it because all I got done was the DE Squat and Deadlift as my lower back was too burned out to continue so I stopped and cut my losses. I had made the mistake of trying for another Max Effort Deadlift on Sunday but didn’t make it past 350 lbs. again. This is what hammered my lower back, doing two Max Deadlifts attempts and a Max Squat in the course of 3 days and then trying to do another lower body workout on the fourth day. Lesson learned, no more than two Lower Body workouts per week.

I don’t know what I was thinking on the DE Bench. I was supposed to do 24 reps, 3x8, but for some reason thought I was doing 2 at a time and didn’t realize the mistake until I got to 36 reps. On the plus side I added 5 lbs. to the bar for this workout and will continue doing that for all my DE workouts until I notice the bar speed starting to slow down.

I failed on the 3 Myo-rep set of Dips. I couldn’t even control the eccentric. I also miscounted on the Chin ups and did one more Myo-rep set than intended.

I’ve decided to start logging my diet or at least calorie intake since I’ve haven’t really been gaining any weight and need to get focused on it again. I’ve also finally made the switch to eating only 4 meals a day spaced about 5-6 hours apart. I’ve been trying to do that for a while since I think eating more often was killing my insulin sensitivity. So far I’m not getting the light headed low blood sugar feeling I used to. I think it’s because I’ve upped the calories in each meal and add in enough fat to get back up to about 30%, something else I was slacking off on and not getting enough. I also added fruits and veggies back into my shakes something I’d gotten lazy about.

Well I’ve only got about 10 more days and I’ll probably have to wrap up this cycle. I’m going on a 10 day working trip to Germany and may not be able to maintain any realistic workout routine or diet, so I figure it’s a perfect time to SD.

I ordered a foam roller yesterday which is supposed to arrive today. I’m trying to be more diligent about stretching and other forms of recovery so I figures it would help. Along these lines I’m doing a bunch of stretching, massaging, and exercises to try to help my tendonitis once and for all. We’ll see how it goes.

Last edited:
ME Lower Body Today:

Max Effort:
Squat Bar x 10, 95 lbs. x 10, 135 lbs. x 5, 185 lbs. x 3, 225 lbs. x 1, 275 lbs. x 1, 315 lbs. x 1, 355 lbs. 1 (PR), 375 lbs. (re-racked no attempt)

Sumo Deadlift 135 lbs. x 5, 185 lbs. x 3, 225 lbs. x 1, 275 lbs. x 1, 315 lbs. x 1, 375 lbs. x fail, 375 lbs. x fail, 355 lbs. x fail
Very nice -- even for a 'bad' day -- still very nice.

Might not be today. Might not be tomorrow, but you'll get there!

Very nice -- even for a 'bad' day -- still very nice.

Might not be today. Might not be tomorrow, but you'll get there!
Thanks for the encouragement TR. Even though I get bumbed out not making a lift I’m actually learning as much or more from failing as I am from succeeding which is what I need more than anything right now.

Cheers

Back