Health Essentials

Tom Treutlein

The most important aspects of health and wellness - what do you think they entail?

1. No use of substances (cigarettes, alcohol, various drugs).
2. Cardiovascular activity 2-3x weekly for a duration of 15-20 minutes minimum to maintain heart health (accurate?).
3. Adequate EFAs (1:1 ratio of O6
wow.gif
3 if possible, 2g EPA/DHA roughly) daily.
4. At least 30g of fiber daily.
5. Rounded consumption of phytonutrients from fruits and vegetables daily.
6. At least half a gallon (probably more) water daily.

Dear Tom Treutlein,

To reply your question in specific:

"The most important aspects of health and wellness - what do you think they entail?"

There are several schools of thought in this regard. I am assuming your preoccupation is with quality of life and longevity. The question of wellness is generally, the departure from the medical paradigm of being disease and pain free to a paradigm of feeling physically, mentally and spiritually complete.

In one sentence, traditional healthcare is about making ends meet, while wellness care is about being wealthy.

Some websites you might wish to visit include:

www.lef.org
www.drumlib.com

Religion often plays a great part in this wellness paradigm, but this is perhaps, a sensitive topic and you can easily find information on religion at your local church/temple/shrine/holy cave/sacred mountain etc.

To answer your questions in specific:

1. No use of substances (cigarettes, alcohol, various drugs).

Tobacco use is a definite no-no. But alcohol is a bit of an iffy. Wine consumption has certain healthful benefits but only if taken in moderation. Drugs again, are an iffy unless you are taking known street-type drugs that have no justification whatsoever.

2. Cardiovascular activity 2-3x weekly for a duration of 15-20 minutes minimum to maintain heart health (accurate?).

Currently, in Australia, the government has a "Find Thirty" campaign. Their rationale is, thirty minutes of "exercise" is sufficient for good health. I would define exercise as the conscious undertaking of intentional physical activity, with benefits arising when the body's ability of adapting to such imposed stress results in improved nutrient partitioning and/or physical performance.

In short, exercise is a necessary evil.

As for 15-20 minutes of aerobic activity three times a week for heart health, we first must ask: "How healthy is my heart?" On a personal note, I don't do any "aerobics" at all. I do lift weights very often, and I know my heart is in extremely good condition going by my vital signs at rest. Furthermore, I do wonder how 30 minutes a day is going to help anyone non sedentary - a stroll in the park just isn't going to cause surfacing of the insulin-independent GLUT 4 glucose transporters.

3. Adequate EFAs (1:1 ratio of O63 if possible, 2g EPA/DHA roughly) daily.

www.udoerasmus.com gives an indication of the ideal O3:O6 ratio. In reality, it's hard to maintain a perfect ratio and it is easier to just supplement with fish oils. The Supplement FAQ here gives an indication of how much fish oils to take - 6gm per day tops I think, from memory.

4. At least 30g of fiber daily.

Faecal bulk is necessary to prevent aberrent growth of the viscera and for ease of colonic voiding. The issue of fiber is over-hyped though, and this shouldn't be concern as long as you are not straining to void.

5. Rounded consumption of phytonutrients from fruits and vegetables daily.

Whatever is in season and plenty of it. I have an inclination towards cruciferous vegetables too. Usually, I'd have half a dozen of tomatoes, two heads of ice-berg lettuce and a head of cabbage every day. I might have fruit on top of that. I have the luxury of buying my fruit and vegetables at wholesale prices, and obviously, eating like this gives me plenty of fibre. There is no need for Weetbix or any such "high-fibre" cereal type nonsense that is really meant for horses and all such hindgut fermenters.

6. At least half a gallon (probably more) water daily.

In the past, eight glasses of water a day was the recommendation. From there, people have swung to the extreme and there are reports of hyponatraemia from drinking too much water. Currently, it is accepted that we drink according to how thirsty we feel rather than in anticipation of thirst, unless of course, we are preparing for some physically demanding event where pre-event hydration was of essence.

I'm not sure if I had answered your questions at all. I really was thinking aloud than anything else.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

Jesus that was a pretty complete response. :D

Awesome man, thanks.

That's a lot of fruit and veggies. Those are pretty expensive - that's my only gripe. Bleh.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tom Treutlein @ Nov. 27 2004,6:37)]BoSox - really now?
Yes, really
V8 veggie mix is a delicatley blended, full bodied concert of
Beet, Celery, Tomatoe, Carrot, Lettuce, Parsley, Watercrest and Spinach (YUM, YUM). Chock full of Vitamin C and about 40% RDA Vitamin A, plus all the phytonutrients that go with the above listed Veggies. You can also get it in Low Sodium, I would, regular is pretty high.
Wow, I should have had a V8
:D

just cover ur nose and choke it down as fast as you can and you'll be set. Just make sure you still get the fiber you need.

I actually like the taste of V8! Nice! One V8 a day it is.

Fiber, huh? Well as of now the fiber I'm getting only comes from potatoes. It only amounts to 12g of fiber though, so I definitely need some more.

What should I do to add fiber to my diet without extra calories? The only reason is because I already have my macros laid out nicely and all the food is working for me right now, and I want to see if I gain weight with this caloric intake (16x bodyweight only) so I don't have to raise the bar any higher.

Thanks for all the help, guys.
worship.gif

So how many V8s should I have a day?

How many oz. of them, to be precise? Or any general idea?

Also, what's better - Fish Oils to get EPA/DHA or Flax Oil and such?

well I just mentioned the fiber because usually people rely and fruits and veggies for most of their fiber, so if you replace fruits and veggies with V8, you'd have to find a different way to get your fiber.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tom Treutlein @ Nov. 28 2004,2:13)]So how many V8s should I have a day?
How many oz. of them, to be precise? Or any general idea?
Also, what's better - Fish Oils to get EPA/DHA or Flax Oil and such?
Each 8oz has about 50 kcals, 2 grams Fiber, 100% Vitamin C and 50% Vitamin A. It depends on your caloric and nutritional requirements.

I would go for fish oil :D

Here's the prob Tom, by the time you buy all these things to get what you are lacking you could have bought FOOD and gotten most of everything you need without as much need for supplementation. IMHO, like I have said, eat good food, get a good protein sup, EFA sup and vitamins. Eating right will take care of the rest.
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tom Treutlein @ Nov. 28 2004,2:39)]What should I do to add fiber to my diet without extra calories?
Psyllium Husks
Blend it into your shakes and you won't even know it's there.

Spicy V8 just plain rocks! Its pretty dang good if you mix it with a light beer too!
I love the taste of garlic and onions which are also reported to be healthful. Ill add in some spinich (+ other green leaffies), carrots, broccolli [sp], asparrigus, ect. Natures health insurance! Oh, all this doesnt go in my glass of V8, 'cept maybe the garlic and onion, Ill have to try that! LOL

Bump for personal reference, and because I think it got a bit far off topic.

Anyone else have anything else to add in terms of health and wellness? I realized that HST is probably one of the best programs for longevity, since it has you doing work to rehabilitate your joints and tendons, and it doesn't jump into such extremely heavy loads too often.

For the average person, I see HST as being next to ideal.

Dianabol hit on something else that I fiqured I would expand upon.

Spiritual Wellness. Not necessarily religion but the overall happiness with oneself. It took me along time to realize that this is very important. Be proud and content in who and what you are if you're unhappy with a situation, change it. Basically, empower yourself.

Learn to cope with stress and even eliminate it if possible. If not, take the necessary steps to lessen the physiological ramifications of being a Type-A person, i.e. sleep, exercise, eat well, take your anti-oxidants, use PS if necessary (expensive), and meditate somehow (pray, read, listen to soft music). Stress has been my Achilles heel for most of my life.
P.S. DON'T BINGE DRINK!

Back