Help Designing My Training Log

Kristian

Hi guys,

I have read up a lot lately on the HST style and am giving it a go for myself. I am new to the site and I was just looking for some advice on my training log.

I am currently torn between 2 training logs (one which I currently do) and a more simplistic one. If anyone could give any advice or ideas on what they think could be more beneficial?

My training days are Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday so non-consecutive days.

Training Log 1 - This workout would be completed 3 times a week

Incline Barbell Bench Press 3 sets 6-10 reps
Wide Grip Weighted Pull-Ups 3 sets 6-10 reps
Flat Dumbbell Flys 1-2 sets 6-10 reps
Bent Over Barbell Rows 2 sets 6-10 reps
Standing Over Head Press 2 sets 6-10 reps
Side or Rear Lateral Raises 1 set 8-10 reps
Barbell Bicep Curl or Alternating Dumbbell Curl 2-3 sets 6-10 reps
Seated Overhead Tricep Extension 3-4 sets 6-10 reps
Barbell Back Squat 3-5 sets 6-10 reps
Calf Rasies on Leg Press Machine 3 sets 6-10 reps
Hanging Leg Raise 3 sets 10-15 reps

Note - I do squats nearly as a last exercise in my workouts as if I do them first I feel it takes away from my other exercises and I can lift as heavy on them. Whereas if I do them later in my workouts my squat strength seems to still be good and I actually hit a Rep PR on squats in my last 2 workouts.

Training Log 2 - This is split up of Workout A and Workout B performed like ABA BAB over the course of 2 weeks so in Week 1 would be 2 Workout A's and 1 Workout B and on Week 2 it would be 2 Workout B's and 1 Workout A - Which I am sure most of you would have understood by the way I wrote it but just to make sure I wrote it down as well.

Workout A

Deadlift 3-5 sets 5-15 reps (Which if doing twice a week the 2nd workout will be light more explosive deadlifts with about 50% of the weight I would normally use.)

Incline Bench Press 4-5 sets 5-15 reps

Weighted Pull Ups 4-5 sets 5-15 reps

Standing Shoulder Press 3 sets 5-15 reps

Barbell Bicep Curl 2-3 sets 6-10 reps

Calf Raises 3 sets 10-20 reps

Hanging Leg Raises 3 sets 10-15 reps

Workout B

Incline Bench Press 4-5 sets 5-15 reps

Bent Over Barbell Rows 4-5 sets 5-15 reps

Side or Rear Lateral Raises 2-3 sets 8-15 reps

Tricep Dips 2-3 sets 8-15 reps

Barbell Back Squat 3-5 sets 5-15 reps

Calf Raises 3 sets 10-20 reps

Hanging Leg Raises 3 sets 10-15 reps

The volume is slightly higher as my body seems to be able to cope with this training volume without decreasing strength.

I am currently doing Training Log 1 and making good progress. However as there are a lot of exercises to complete I am only resting 60 seconds between sets so I can't go all out in my sets otherwise I will have to drop the weight the next set, so I try to get all sets for the maximum reps then add weight to the bar.

With Training Log 2 there isn't as many exercises over the 2 workouts so I can take a bit more of a rest and focus more on gaining strength on these exercises.

I would appreciate everyone's opinion on these Training Logs and which one they feel would be more beneficial for increasing muscle mass but also having the strength to go with it. In terms I don't want to be 'all show and no go'

There are more qualified HST guys than me, but both look like good setups to get you started in HST. As you have started with log 1 I would carry on with that but I would drop some of the assistance stuff like the bicep curls, as they will get more than enough stimulus from the rows and pull ups, and the triceps will get more than enough work from the pressing movements. Also if you want strength as well, thats another good argument for dropping the fluffy isloated movements. I would also be incline to add in a hamstring exercise like RDLs or SLDLs;

Incline Barbell Bench Press 2 sets 6-10 reps
Wide Grip Weighted Pull-Ups 2 sets 6-10 reps
Bent Over Barbell Rows 2 sets 6-10 reps
Standing Over Head Press 2 sets 6-10 reps
Barbell Back Squat 2 sets 6-10 reps
RDLs or SLDLs - 2 sets - 10-15 reps
Calf Rasies on Leg Press Machine 2 sets 6-10 reps
Hanging Leg Raise 2 sets 10-15 reps

Also rather than thinking of sets, look at myo reps. A few other guys on the forum are experts on myo reps, they help shorten the time needed and give you more bang for your buck. Some good information here.

http://thinkmuscle.com/community/threads/myo-reps-explained-in-plain-english.42192/

One final point, for both size and strength make sure your nutrition is 'on point' as the kids say, and that you are getting enough calories to help fuel and repair.

Keep us posted with your progress. Good luck!!

Back