Help: Need more Calories from Carbs

General Zod

I'm trying to bulk. I'm 37, 6' and 188lbs (16.8% BF). I'd like to add a noticable amount of muscle to my frame (not sure how to quantify that in pounds) and then cut to 10%-12% BF. I'm guessing I should be getting about 3,300 calories a day (for bulking). I'd like to bulk as clean as possible.

Here's what I'm my meal plan looks like:

Meal 1: 3/4 cup Quaker Oats, 1 serving 100% ON Whey (Protein), 8oz Skim Milk, 1t fish oil
Meal 2: Opticen (MRP Shake) + 1 green apple
Meal 3: 6oz grilled boneless, skinnless chicken breast + 1 cup brown rice & black beans
Meal 4: Opticen (MRP Shake) + 1 bananna
Meal 5: 8oz sirloin steak + 1 cup romaine, 1/4 cup cucumbers, 1/4 cup tomatoes, 1t fish oil
Meal 6: Nitrean (Casein protein), 8oz Skim Milk + 2T Natty PB

Total Calories - 2540
Fat: 61 (22%) - Sat: 19, Poly: 8, Mono: 6
Carbs: 194 (28%)
Protein: 307 (50%)

It looks like I'm short on my carbs. Suggestions? Thanks.

By the way, for the sake of ease, I plan on eating pretty much the same thing every day. I have the innate ability to eat the same thing every day without getting bored. Is there an issue with that?

Greg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hardrock @ Nov. 14 2005,10:07)]I don't know if 13-14 cals per lb is really enough to bulk on?! How is your metabolism?
Perhaps you misunderstood. My current diet, at 2540 calories, is insufficient to bulk. That's why I'm asking for help. As you can see, I have a good deal of food on my diet plan, but I'm well short of the caloric intake I need to bulk (17.5 x 188 = 3290). I'm looking for recommendations on some high carb, low fat (as I'm trying to clean bulk) calorie sources.

Thanks.

Greg

pasta, couscous, oatmeal, healthy ceraels (ie GoLean), wheat bread, wheat tortillas, etc.

go with pasta if you find yourself getting too full, it has the densest source of carbs.

I’m pretty similar in size to you, I think, 5’11”, 190lbs, BF 11-12%. For the past two months I’ve been on a pretty clean bulk, and plan on staying on it through the end of the year. I find my upper limit on calories is 35-3800 per day. This seems to allow me decent gains, without too much increase in BF. I’ll allow myself to get to 15%, but would prefer to stay around 12 max. Anyway, here’s a sample of my usual day, that usually winds up a 40/40/20, or at least close, and somewhere around 3500 cals.
Meal 1
Pre-workout shake (50g whey)
Bowl of Ezekiel Cinnamon raisin cereal
Meal 2
Post workout shake (50g whey, 50g dex)
Large banana
Meal 3
2 whole eggs, 4 whites
1 cup Quaker old fashioned oats with skim milk
2 slices Ezekiel bread (Sprouted grain, the only type I eat, many different varieties)
Meal 4
6-8 oz chicken or 1-2 cans of tuna (water packed)
8oz no fat plain yogurt with some flavor of davinci’s flavored syrup and some type of berry\fruit
2 slices Ezekiel bread
Salad
Meal 5
Some type of protein source – usually a protein bar due to lack of time mid afternoon for meal prep, fruit
Meal 6
6-8 oz of chicken or lean beef
LOTS of veggies of any variety
Large salad, yeah, more veggies, usually with 1oz of cheese, bacon bits
Some type of no sugar dessert – i.e. low carb cheese cake, brownies, whatever – my wife is GREAT with this stuff
Meal 7
Couple of tablespoons of peanut butter, or maybe a serving of cottage cheese
Casein protein shake with skim milk
Even at this, I find my weight does NOT increase quickly. I'm shooting for 200lb by year end, and am currently thinking of upping my cals even more. (Maybe to around 4000). I'll probably switch to 6 whole eggs in the am rather that 2 whole and 4 whites, as I HATE wasting all the nutrients in the yolk, LOL.

Back