HELP . Water Intake During Creatine : : :

PRAE

. . . . . .
. . . . . .

my regards to all here in these HSN forums .

seems i can't go wrong with the help of all here at HSN .

i've learned quite a bit but just wanted to ask a quick question

regarding creatine use .

i've gone through a load phase with the HSN-CRE . real quality .

and i've noticed that since i focus my intake pre-workout

i'm really able to sustain intensive lifting much longer than before .

... ... ... ... ...

my question is HOW MUCH WATER should i drink whilst on creatine ?

i've heard various amounts but i'm a bit unsure as to how the intake

affects creatine performance .

thanks for any help and advice .

PRAE . aerosyn-lex .

Water intake is a tricky variable isn't it? It can and does vary from individual to individual, but one common rule applies. If you drink enough fluid to keep urine fairly clear and odorless, you are getting enough water. If your urine is yellow or darker and has a fairly strong odor, then it is too concentrated and you need to increase water intake. Personally, I try to drink at least a gallon a day just to give myself some cushion. Being creatine will make use of the water you are taking in as well as water that is being stored in your body, then you may need to increase water intake slightly above what would normally keep you hydrated. In other words, if 128 oz. keeps you wet, then up that by about 8 more oz. while using creatine. This isn't hard science mind you, just a bit of reasoning and personal experience.

nobody beats the BIZ
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

my thanks for that solid common sense advice .

seems like im on the right track then . my only concern is that

now that HSN CRE is out of stock again . i may have to find another

brand as im quickly running out .

again my thanks

PRAE . aerosyn-lex m.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PRAE @ May 16 2005,2:09)]nobody beats the BIZ
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
my thanks for that solid common sense advice .
seems like im on the right track then . my only concern is that
now that HSN CRE is out of stock again . i may have to find another
brand as im quickly running out .
again my thanks
PRAE . aerosyn-lex m.
I use EAS Phosphagen HP tastes great and works...

You shouldn't worry about your water consumption, at least when it comes to being too much. You can never have too much water
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Personally, I try to drink at least a gallon a day just to give myself some cushion. Being creatine will make use of the water you are taking in as well as water that is being stored in your body, then you may need to increase water intake slightly above what would normally keep you hydrated.
Water cleans out your system... I always like to make a joke concerning this new drink that has 0 calories, 0 additives/preservatives, and 0 sodium.. drink water.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (colby2152 @ June 02 2005,12:16)]You shouldn't worry about your water consumption, at least when it comes to being too much. You can never have too much water
Absolutely untrue. People have died from drinking too much water.

"Even modest increases in fluid intake can result in "water intoxication" if one's kidneys are unable to excrete enough water (urine). Such instances are not unheard of, and they have led to mental confusion and even death in athletes, in teenagers after ingesting the recreational drug Ecstasy, and in ordinary patients."

Read the links provided, and do some research.

Yeah, I remember seeing in a health book a few years ago that you can't possibly drink too much water and that you'll just pee out any excess, but it turns out that's not true. Dood's right, there is a limit to how much water you should drink, and people have died from it because it messes up the concentration of electrolytes in the body. I heard about a teenager who died from drinking too much water. However, he had drank a LOT, I want to say it was well over a gallon at one sitting. As long as you stay within reason, I don't think consuming too much water should be a problem.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dood @ June 02 2005,1:31)]Absolutely untrue.  People have died from drinking too much water.

"Even modest increases in fluid intake can result in "water intoxication" if one's kidneys are unable to excrete enough water (urine). Such instances are not unheard of, and they have led to mental confusion and even death in athletes, in teenagers after ingesting the recreational drug Ecstasy, and in ordinary patients."

My fault, I didn't read that article till now... Albeit there is a limit on water intake and of course it's within reason.. I would think you'd get too full before you reached that threshold!

Back to the subject.. you're "supposed to have 8 cups of water a day." Weightlifters and anyone who does cardio should definitely follow this 8x8 rule since the amount of water that is lossed during exercise.

I think most brands instruct to drink a 12oz glass of water immediately after creatine supplementation [correct me if I am wrong.]  So if you're using creatine monohydrate, then an extra 2 cups should suffice.

It is difficult (but not impossible) to drink too much water.

I have had kidney stones, and the urologists always start with "drink more water" :) As BIZ said though, the main thing is to keep the color light. If your pee is dark yellow, it is getting highly concentrated, and some of the dissolved minerals may un-dissolve and form kidney stones.

(And if your pee turns red or brown, look out :D Seriously, blood is bad. First they'll check you for another kidney stone, and then if you don't have one, they may give you a cystoscopy. Ow. Brown tends to mean your body is breaking down muscle too fast, as in rhabdomyolysis.)

Back