Help with Calories!!!

SPE

I am currently triathalon training along with HST and I need advice about how many calories my body NEEDS. I am 5'6" about 140 lbs. with about 10% bodyfat. I'm not really looking to change the way I look, just perform at a high level and control hunger. I calculated my BMR to be about 1700 cals/day. I weight train 3 times/week and burn about 400 extra calories per day from training. Again, I'm just trying to find out how much I need to eat for performance. Also, would I need more carbs than say a bodybuilder? How about macro ratios? Thank alot

If you're not looking to gain size, perhaps a routine other then Hypertrophy Specific Training would suit you better.

I think you should eat maybe 2300 cals a day. You are going to want a little excess because all of your training.

Additionally, a split like 20/40/40 Fat/Protein/Carbs is probably in order.

I recall reading an article that stated endurance athletes actually need more protein in their diet than bodybuilders. Can't seem to find it now though...

Why are you weight training as part of your triatholon training? It does have its place, but only for certain things. How far are you running, swimming, biking etc. If you want to get better at running then the best way to do that is to run, specificity. You need to calculate all of your aerobic training into your diet plan too, as well as the fact that your metabolic rate will be higher due to the exercise, in addition to the calories burnt while actually training. Your metabolic rate does not return back to normal after the exercise.

Metabolic rate usually means resting or basal metabolic rate. Exercise doesnt change this to any great extent.

It will however change exercise induced thermogenesis, which is what I am guessing you are meaning.

Back