here we go

Brickhouse

hey gang. new to this approach so i will appreciate any and all input

5'7"
195lbs
14% bf

been lifting on and off for a few years but more seriously the last couple years and looking forward to doing the HST!

just to be clear, it is 2 weeks at 15 reps working up to your 15 rep max, then 2 weeks for 10, then 2 weeks at 5 and then a week off and repeat?

also am i doing the same 2 exercises every workout for each bodypart or alternate them between workouts? the sample shown here: http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/hst_II.html shows the same exercises for every workout. can someone clarify please? Thanks

Last edited:
well this is what im going to try and hopefully someone can help me tweak it:

3 day split 1 on 1 off 1on 1 off 1on 2 off

A
Incline DB 2 x
Squat 2x
Pullups 2x
Shoulder Press 2x
Lateral Raise 1x
Preacher Curls 1x
Overhead Rope Extension 1x
Calf Raise 1x

B
Dips 2x
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 2x
Chest Supported Row 2x
Upright Row 2x
Shrugs 1x
Dumbell Curls 1x
Tricep Pressdown 1x
Calf Raise 1x

so for example my 15 rep max on incline DB is 75. i will be working it 3 times over 2 weeks to that max so it would be 2x15 @ 65, then 70, then 75?

Last edited:
Looks to me like you got it. If you wanted to you could do the same workout everytime. Are you listing the exercises in the order you'll be doing them? Most people would start off with squats/deads.

thanks for the feedback. so is it better to do the same workout and do 1 set of 2 exercises or split it up and do 2 sets same exercise alternating? i started the above workout yesterday and i was wiped at the end of it. i havent done a high rep workout for a long time so it was a refreshing challenge. i actually did squats last because if i do them first i wouldnt be able to do the rest of my workout. squats take a lot out of me...

Brickhouse said:
so for example my 15 rep max on incline DB is 75. i will be working it 3 times over 2 weeks to that max so it would be 2x15 @ 65, then 70, then 75?
The latter is correct. That's the progressive load that is so effective in HST.

Brickhouse said:
so is it better to do the same workout and do 1 set of 2 exercises or split it up and do 2 sets same exercise alternating

Do 2 sets of every lift per workout. The A/B split usually comes in to accommodate the program you use - so you can alternate upper/lower body, or just basically manage the fatigue you incur in each muscle group. I think you have a good split defined; are you doing A in the morning and B in the evening, or some other arrangement?

Good luck through the cycle, Brickhouse.

The latter is correct. That's the progressive load that is so effective in HST.

Do 2 sets of every lift per workout. The A/B split usually comes in to accommodate the program you use - so you can alternate upper/lower body, or just basically manage the fatigue you incur in each muscle group. I think you have a good split defined; are you doing A in the morning and B in the evening, or some other arrangement?

Good luck through the cycle, Brickhouse.

thanks for the feedback. i wish i had the time to do an am/pm. i am alternating workouts between A/B which was one of my questions if its better to alternate or do them all every workout. you mention to do 2 sets of every lift, does that include the smaller muscles bi's, tri's etc...? i have only 1 set listed for those...

You may want to look at the Simplify and Win thread; it may give you a great amount of insight as to the most successful cycle programming. To your other question - working the smaller muscle groups is a matter of preference. If any of your compound lifts impact your isos, that's ok and one set (or none for that matter) is perfectly fine. What you want to avoid is the reverse of that; your compound lifts (bench/DB press, squats, deadlifts, pullups, rows) are the most important parts of your cycle. Don't ever overweight the importance of isos over compounds. This will come into play as you get deep into the 5's - count on it.

One thing you could do (time permitting) is a slightly wider approach. If you keep your cycle programming as it is, you could do a M-Tu-Th-Fr (ABAB) type arrangement. That would keep you on the same track you're on now, and would still be quite successful in the end.

I hope I answered your questions! I know how frustrating it can be to get going with a new training methodology.

just to be clear, it is 2 weeks at 15 reps working up to your 15 rep max, then 2 weeks for 10, then 2 weeks at 5 and then a week off and repeat?

and then 2wks of negatives,or just carry on with your 5rm for 2wks making it 8wks.

ok i took a week off and did some more reading and came up with a new approach:

15 rep phase 1 set
10 rep phase 2 sets
5 rep phase 3 sets

30d incline DB
chest supported row
hammer strength shoulder press
stiff leg deadlift
ez bar curl
overhead rope tricep extension
seated calf raise
squat

i have been previously doing a heavy weight low rep routine for quite sometime and today started this routine and by the end of it i thought i was going to be sick. i love it...

how long do you guys rest between exercises?

cheers

just go gain when your ready.
you dont have any vertical pulls in your routine like chins/pulldowns etc.

Back