homemade protein bars

stevie

this is more a cookery question, sorry.
For a little variety, i was thinking of making some home made protein bars similar to those you can buy.
I am after a good tasting bar without many carbs (15% carbs would be the limit) if at all possible. Also im not so keen on the amounts of butter usually required in typical home recipies.
This bar would be for consumpion post workout in the gym changing room. so it would also have to be non-messy.
I assume that cooking with whey in a mixture would not be such a good idea due to denaturation?
(P.S. It wouldnt have to be a 'bar' it could be a cookie or cake of some kind. I just want something solid)
Anyone got any ideas?

Here is a recipe of Jay Robb's for carob balls! Of course, you can pound it into one or two bars ;)

3 tbs carob powder
3 oz protein powder
1.5 tbs olive or flax oil
14 wlanut halves
4 tbs raisins
2 tsp rice bran
water as needed
rum/ or essence (my idea!)

Chuch everything in bowl except water and mix well. Gradually add water until mixture is very thick.

I guess if you take out the raisins and nuts it would be low carb.

Disclaimer: I have'nt tried it yet, so 'at own risk!'

Peanut Butter Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1 cup nut flour
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup honey
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Bake at 325 F (160 C) for 10 min.
Nut flour is ground up nuts, I use almonds in the blender using short bursts. Be careful not to grind them to much or you will have almond butter. You could easily add protein powder into these cookies and also use a different type of sweetener. I have made lots of these and think they taste great. Oh not sure if you consider 1/2 cup butter lots but maybe you could use something else :confused:

i know this thread is old, but wanted to let people know there's another version of jay robb's carob balls here that i came across: http://www.jayrobb.com/jayrobenarbo.html (bottom of page)

this one is even lower carb, i think, since there's no dried fruit or bran (which adds a slight amount of carb too - if you want more fiber, just add whole, sugar-free psyllium husk). even with the nuts and nut butter, the carb should be pretty low. (definitely don't use peanut, soy or cashew if you want to keep carbs down.) each serving should only be at most about 10g non-fiber carbs (rough guess) whereas the protein and EFA content is quite high. you can use pretty much any non-sugar sweetened protein powder you want. (i've used soy and whey, dunno about casein though)

i've tried it, and it's not bad. carob powder was often out of stock at my bread&circus though. one problem however is how to handle the mixture - it's very taffy-like and thus a bit cumbersome. anyone found a way to alleviate this problem?

oh, just for relavance to stevie's original post, concerning it being "non-messy", just want to confirm that once wrapped in wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerated, there were no problems carrying it around, despite the actual preparation being a little sloppy.

thanxs for that.
i made a few bars (at least i tried
blush.gif
) it was just for a bit of a change really...which was nice. but the phase has passed and im back to normal shakes. also ive ended my carb restriction :)

Back