How much is too much caffeine?

As little as50-100 milligrams per day will cause withdrawl symptoms.

Too much depends on how you feel, and how suseptible you are to pathological cardiovascular events, such as high blood pressure, stroke, migrains, and heart attach.

The biggest problem with caffein are the psychological/neurological effects. It makes you very irritable when it wears off, and it makes you feel as if something bad is going to happen all the time (anxiety, nervousness).

In my opinion it should only be used as a tool, not a crutch. Just my opinion though.

I was having at least one headache a day for several years up until earlier this year. I would take Excedrin migraine to help (note, that it contains caffeine). I was caught in a loop. I would drink coffee, tea, pop, etc. which would "energize" me for a while, then give me a headache. The Excedrin would help some, but usually the headache came back.

Finally, I tapered off ALL caffeine consumption over a period of a month or so.. The first four days at zero were murder!! Non-stop headaches. But now, I get much less than half of the number of headaches I'd been getting.

So, my personal, long-winded answer to your question is... 1 mg or more.

Back