how to get enough protein "practically"

Noob,

If you have a history of excessive bodyfat and have endomoprhic traits then yea, you should watch your overall caloric intake. You won't need to go as crazy as a skinny ectomorph, but I would still error on the side of too much protein and limit carbs and fat if you have to cut something out. From my own experience it would be better to have more than enough protein in the system and increase cardio to limit bodyfat.

thanks man, My carbs will be watched carefully, but postworkout i'll just be eating like carb loading for glycogen restorage. Also Jules recommended that i not worry too much about the carb sensitivity isn't too much a problem with the training for HST.

I feel diet is a trial and error thing, but generally my views . . .

1)  On a bulking diet, you don't let your body type influence protein per gram.   I tend to favor going beyond 1g/lbs (I like meat), since protein is the most difficult nutrient to convert over into fat.  The more strain you create from training, the more protein you need and can use.  

2)  During the first 3-4 weeks of HST, you'll want to steadily increase glycogen stores.  You don't need to prepare for a marathon, but ideally you should be pretty saturated before you go into 5s.  At that point, depending on how "full" you feel and also what kind of metabolic fatiguing techniques you'll want to use, you'll drop your carb intake a bit and partially compensate with more protein.  Those of you doing the 2g/lbs thing probably don't need to increase protein.  Then again, maybe you do.  ;)

3)  Now, here's the thing.  Your body type does influence how you go about filling that up.  Bryan recommends something like 7-10g carbs/kg carbs for maximum glycogen storage.   A more conservative approach (particularly if you're only training 3x-a-week) may be 5-7g/kg.  If you're ecto, you shoot for 7.  If you're endo, you shoot for 5.  On rest days, an endomorph would eat an even more moderate amount (isocaloric?), taking into account their maintenance caloric intake.  Largely, you go by feeling of fullness vs. flatness and against your protein intake.

4)  Finally, there's the issue with exercise inducing metabolic fatigue and stress.  An ectomorph's high performance metabolism means that additional strategies to stimulate MAPKerk1/2 are largely unnecessary until, perhaps, 5s or negatives.  In their case, adding a generic burn set would be plenty.  However, an endomorph may include very brief bouts of HIIT and later on, more intense fatiguing strategies.  (The irony is that generally, meso and endomorphs handle load-related fatigue better than ecto.)  The idea isn't to burn calories but to increase endurance-related adaptations (sarcoplasmic hypertrophy) by which more nutrients are more efficiently used.  So, an "extreme" endomorph may add a 5-minute HIIT session right into their 15s.  During 5s and post-5s, they would add peak contraction exercises, drop sets, partial sets, pulses, and so on to create a lot of metabolic stress.  

Total caloric intake is more a means than an end.  If you're still feeling flat, you'll need to increase carb intake.  As you train heavier and add higher strain techniques, you may have to increase protein intake.  After being reasonably sure you're doing both, then you look at adding more fat calories (and you should have gotten a significant amount from lean meat and your O3/O6) to put on general mass.

For an ecto, less exercise is more.  For an endo, they have to work.  The diet part is less about calorie calculation per se, but more about matching the training with the goals.

cheers,
Jules

hrmmm. interesting explanation. when you say adding more sarcoplasmic hypertrophy to help nutrient efficiency, does that mean the nutrients are stored as fat slower? and how do you gauge your fullness vs. flatness? im not sure what flatness means, does that mean flatness of the stomach
crazy.gif
?? I assume this gauge pertains to both cut and bulk cycles, so would that mean for cut cycles I would look for the flat feeling, bulk for the completely full feeling?

pzhang

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I assume this gauge pertains to both cut and bulk cycles, so would that mean for cut cycles I would look for the flat feeling, bulk for the completely full feeling?

For cutting, nothing that complicated if you're not attempting keto or CKD. You just gauge your fatigue management and energy stores, so that you can complete your cutting cycle without a hitch.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]when you say adding more sarcoplasmic hypertrophy to help nutrient efficiency, does that mean the nutrients are stored as fat slower?

Yup. It lets you eat more (particularly carbs) without putting on fat. Not a problem for ecto guy; big problem for endo guy. The more you eat (within sanity), the more you gain muscle. The more developed your nutrient-feeding network is around your muscle, the faster your muscle can use food to accomplish its changes. Do both together, and you have your eat big, get big equation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and how do you gauge your fullness vs. flatness?

You're just gauging the swelling of the muscles, or how much glycogen and water they're holding. For example, when you cut, you're depleting your glycogen, and so your muscles look "flat" or not swollen. Go to a buffet and the next day, your muscles look bigger or more "full."

cheers,
Jules

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vicious @ Feb. 12 2005,10:03)]3)  If you're ecto, you shoot for 7.  If you're endo, you shoot for 5.  On rest days, an endomorph would eat an even more moderate amount (isocaloric?), taking into account their maintenance caloric intake.  Largely, you go by feeling of fullness vs. flatness and against your protein intake.
also beware how the terms endo/ecto are used and their actual applicability to the training goals.

they are based upon current levels of adiposity and muscularity, not on the natural state. They are not based upon their physiology either.

Back