HST Program Template

I

imported_dawaro

I figured I would share a simple excel template I have been working on for sitting up a routine. The template really follows the simplify & win stadegy. I had set it up before reading that thread based on my experience with compound lifts and 5x5 programs.
The template has cells for 5 primary lifts and 3 secondary. I have left my choices on it but you can change it to your liking. Changing the exercise in the yellow cells will update the entire sheet.
There is also a very basic rep calculator where you can enter the test weight and the amount of reps and it will figure your 15RM, 10RM, 5RM, and 3RM along with populating the weights for the cycles. For the final two weeks I chose to go with 5x3's since I do not have someone to help with the negatives.
The final cells that are user adjustable are the increment percentage. When you enter the desired percentage the sheet will use this number to calculate the decrements for each lift. The weight increment is based on the 5RM.
Also there is a column for the recommended starting weight for each cycle. This weight is calculated at 70% of the RM weight for the cycle. It is to be used as a guide to adjust your percentages but is not required.
To keep it as simple as possible all numbers are rounded to the nearest 5. I realize this makes it useless to those on the metric system. If there is enough interest I will make adjustments to this as time allows.

Great work buddy, I was thinking of making something like this. Now i'm all set , just in time for my 2nd hst cycle starting monday.

Thanks

Love the automatic RM and starting weights calculation for 15s, 10s ,5s etc from the test weights. I was trying to find the post which gave the typical weight increases between the 15s, 10s etc but found your spreadsheet instead, which means I don't have to even work anything out, just pop my test weights in!
Good work

I am glad people are starting to look at this. I was actually surprised there wasnt more interest in this. With all the questions of where to start and what increments to use, etc, ect I figured this would really help people get going.
I am working on more templates with different options for the final two weeks and also something to change between metric and imperial weights so more users can try it. If people need it I can also add more exercises to it.
For me it is just something I enjoy playing with and makes me feel like I am contributing a little bit!

<div>
(dawaro @ Jun. 13 2008,8:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I was actually surprised there wasnt more interest in this.</div>
I suspect that many of us who have been doing this for a while already had developed such things.  My workbook has multiple sheets with various options ranging from &quot;vanilla&quot; 6 week programs to 15+ week programs where you increment weekly and have built-in cutting weeks, as well as automatic RM calcs based upon a test.  Still, since many of these deviate so much from the normal program, I didn't really feel it was appropriate to share it.  Yours looks good and is probably more appropriate for public use.

<div>
(Ruthenian @ Jun. 13 2008,12:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(dawaro @ Jun. 13 2008,8:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I was actually surprised there wasnt more interest in this.</div>
I suspect that many of us who have been doing this for a while already had developed such things.  My workbook has multiple sheets with various options ranging from &quot;vanilla&quot; 6 week programs to 15+ week programs where you increment weekly and have built-in cutting weeks, as well as automatic RM calcs based upon a test.  Still, since many of these deviate so much from the normal program, I didn't really feel it was appropriate to share it.  Yours looks good and is probably more appropriate for public use.</div>
I understand what you mean on the variations and the more advanced users. I was mainly talking about the newbs like myself. There have been a lot of redundant questions in the past few weeks about starting points, intervals, exercises, etc. I made very sure that before putting this out for public use that it applied to the set HST principles, it just also happened to fit the simplify theory also.
This was just one sheet of my workbook. I have multiple variations for HST, Max-Stim, and just about any 5x5 out there. I am working on my personal log that is 52 weeks right now. It will include progress charts for lifts and body measurements. Being that it is so personalized I am not sure I will ever adjust it to the point it is ok for public use.
The main reason for doing it is to encourage people to keep a log. It is amazing how many dont. I trained for years without one but since using one that wont happen again.

just dl the file, gonna get one of my buds to help set it up on my pc, sure beats using a calc and scratching paper for sure

It's a good sheet. Like Ruthenian said, many here have already figured out what they need to do. I've done a few HST cycles myself and I now have a program similar to the one in your sheet but I changed something every cycle previous to this one to get to that point. This would have helped me when I started and I'm sure that new members will find it helpful.

Here is one that posted before.
Not as fancy as the one you did but it does the job
biggrin.gif

This was originally posted here a long time ago.

dawaro

I was trying to use yours just now, but when I enter a weight in the yellow cell, it gives an error &quot;#NAME?, so its not working as it should.

Well, its not like I really need it as I have my own which is simple but it works out everything when one enters weight on the last column, but yours looks quite cool and I wanted to try it but...hit this &quot;bug&quot;.

Can you fix? Oh, btw, metric would be cool if you don't mind?
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Jun. 16 2008,7:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">dawaro

I was trying to use yours just now, but when I enter a weight in the yellow cell, it gives an error &quot;#NAME?, so its not working as it should.

Well, its not like I really need it as I have my own which is simple but it works out everything when one enters weight on the last column, but yours looks quite cool and I wanted to try it but...hit this &quot;bug&quot;.

Can you fix? Oh, btw, metric would be cool if you don't mind?
biggrin.gif
</div>
You need to go to the tools menu&gt;add ins and make sure the analysis tollpak is installed. It is part of excel but depending how it was installed may or may not be running. I will update the original post.

Back