I hate dextrose

boggy

Can I add honey instead of glucose in my post workout shake?
I really hate the taste of glucose mixed with my shakes and I was wondering if I could switch to honey or something similar(like maple syrup) even if theyr GI is lower .(I think in a well-fitted shake glucose GI would go down a lot anyway due to all added foods).

What do u think?

What taste?
Dextrose doesnt really have a taste other than just overpoweringly sweet. Maltodextrin is better in that way.

Honey, I would think is slightly lower GI, but it would be fine. As too would some mapylsyrup as long as hte major ingredient is not high fructose corn syrup. Other options include normal food, like very ripe bananas, grapes, white bread etc

100% Grape Juice is close to pure glucose. May want to go with that or as AF stated some other high GI CHO without HFCS.

I'm not sure if I can find pure grape juice here in italy,
where do u buy it?(supermarket?)
What ca I add to it to get a good taste?

THx

Can you get 'Lucozade' in Italy?? Its a glucose soft drink. I think its pretty much just pure glucose (from what I can tell from the label anyway). The original flavour is best IMO.

glucose is overpoweringly sweet. it just leaves you feeling sick. maltodextrin is nothing like that. it actually doesnt taste sweet at all. when i mix it with whey i can bearly tell that its in there. it also mixes very easily.

but it doesnt really matter what kind of sugar you consume (not frutose though). im sure honey would be fine.

in fact all ive done is just repeat exactly what Aaron already told you.....
wow.gif

No way to get Lucozade here but maybe I'm pretty sure to find some good grape juice .I will mix it with honey or pure maple syrup;I also found that my supermarket has some can of cooked wheat and I was thinking to add it to the mix.
Anyway there's something else I could add to complete the taste?

Lucozade should be everywhere in Italy, as it is in Greece. Groceries, kiosks, markets, you should find it everywhere.

Grape juice is usually 50/50 fructose and glucose, so I don't consider that a good post-workout choice. Glucose is great if you can handle the sweet taste - I definitely can when on a bulking diet with a 150/50 ratio of carbs/protein in my post-workout shake...
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blade @ May 03 2003,9:36)]a 150/50 ratio of carbs/protein in my post-workout shake
150g carbs and 50g protein (whey?)
wow.gif
How much do you take in your pre w/o shake?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]150/50 ratio of carbs/protein in my post-workout shake...

that would make me vomit!!!!! i can bearly chug down 75g glucose its soo unbeliveably sickening. maybe you dilute it in 1litre or something?

thinking about it, 150g of carbs plus ~60g of protein powder would take about a litre to dissolve in! wow. you must have a much greater tolerance for liquid volume than me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blade @ May 03 2003,9:36)]Grape juice is usually 50/50 fructose and glucose, so I don't consider that a good post-workout choice.
hmm, where did the rumor, that grape juice is mostly glucose, come from then? :confused:

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Janne @ May 04 2003,10:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blade @ May 03 2003,9:36)]a 150/50 ratio of carbs/protein in my post-workout shake
150g carbs and 50g protein (whey?)
wow.gif
How much do you take in your pre w/o shake?
About 30/40. Yes, I dilute it to about 1L. I'm now at 100/50 during 5s.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]hmm, where did the rumor, that grape juice is mostly glucose, come from then?

Probably because grape sugar is another name for glucose. Grapes and grape juice (and raisins) contain varying amounts of fructose/glucose, but an average is 50/50.

Back