"IF" "CKD" "TKD"

ryolacap

I was thinking of doing a reduced carb "IF", with a low to no carb meal in the day, then for dinner, do a moderate carb meal.  The no carb meal helps control appetite and insulin, and the moderate carb meal at night replenishes glucose in the muscle for the next day's workout, and creates an anabolic environment during sleep.  Always staying in a calorie deficit for fat burning. This is Hypothetical of course but it does sound possible, I am looking for studies (I am sure there are none) Dan, I believe you were looking into 'IF"  Do you think this would work as well as the UD 2.0 or anabolic diet?

Somehow, I did full low carb diet before, and lost 50-60 pounds of fat and gained 15-20 pounds of muscle, without any carb ups, I still dont know how I did it. (oh yea, in 4 months!!!). I am guessing I floated right outside of ketosis dipping in and out during workout days. Now, I am chasing....

ryolacap

perhaps dan will chime in with some info for you or maybe check out lyles site at bodyrecomposition.com. lyle is not a real big IF guy but certainly has the info and studies on what does and doesnt work.

your post does raise a couple ? though.
15-20lbs of muscle gain in 4months is a much higher then expected rate of gain for an indiv. when they are BULKING. you seem to have achieved it while losing fat a much higher rate then expected for someone dieting. perhaps it was more a case of losing 30-40 lbs of fat (maybe gaining a small amount of muscle) and looking way better and having the appearance of a lot of muscle gain.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">your post does raise a couple ? though.
15-20lbs of muscle gain in 4months is a much higher then expected rate of gain for an indiv. when they are BULKING. you seem to have achieved it while losing fat a much higher rate then expected for someone dieting. perhaps it was more a case of losing 30-40 lbs of fat (maybe gaining a small amount of muscle) and looking way better and having the appearance of a lot of muscle gain. </div>

I totally agree, you just can't gain that much muscle while cutting! Maybe the muscle you meaning was there, you just needed to remive the fat layer covering it?
biggrin.gif
Beware...the site is rather scientific, and when you make blaze statements like that you might be called to book, as it is not really scientifically possible.

I'd just say for now that it is a case of misinterpretation, rather than to staright out &quot;shoot from the hip&quot;
cool.gif

As for your question, Lyle would be the right guy to ask, word of warning, if you talk c..p he'll shoot you down way quick, that is just the way Lyle is, don't tell me I did not warn you!
biggrin.gif

Well, it was caliper tested so it could be a little inaccurate, but the 2K I won in the contest for first place must have meant it was still pretty astounding maybe it was only 5 lbs of muscle.  I think I started around 205-215 at 25%BF and at the end was 173 at 7% without a carb load (could have easily came at 180+) but I digress to a he said she said, truly it matters not.  What I do want to do is recreate the amazing anabolic whirlwind I created during the period, accidently.  I actually found some of the pics a friend snapped, I remember the time of day in which they were taken and has jolted my memory of my workout times during the process.  In doing so I am starting to remember what the meal ratios and timing were too.  I think it had to do with timed spurts of insulin in a super sensitive enviroment. So never mind.

I am sure they even have a name for a carb enema every 3rd Tuesday of the month.  
tounge.gif
  No, I remember what I did and have started it again today. Can't wait for a couple of months to go by!

With progress like yours I think most of us here are interested in your success recipe, even if none of us can repeat it (we are all different). Care to share your secret with us?  
smile.gif

My initial guess is that you trained a lot and did a lot of cardio-type work as well, while eating a higher protein, low carb, medium-low fat diet with the most of the calories targeted at the window of opportunity after your workouts... Am I close to the truth, or totally off?
rock.gif

Pretty darn close, it was a few years ago, but I believe for the most part

Morning: 2 mile walk, light workout, 2 mile walk (to and from gym 4 total) Light WO was a Lactic Acid WO 15-20 reps full body

Night: 2 mile walk, Heavy workout, 2 mile walk. Heavy WO was a 3 days a week split. Body parts were 10 days apart (I believe in exercise carry over)

As for diet

Morning and afternoon

Light eating low carb, Typicaly:

Breakfast 2 eggs slice cheese low carb bread
Lunch 1: Half chicken salad sandwich LC Bread
Lunch 2: Other Half
Night: Protien shake with about 50 protien and 20-30 sugar carbs (after WO) then some type of light LC meal later on

Average 1800-2000 Kcal a day

Weekend

2-3 Zone Bars through the day(went to beach alot so didn't want to be stuffed)  Then a pretty big dinner Modrate carbs high protien.

That is pretty much what I remember as you know things very alot when you are talking about months and years ago.

I think I was not only able to manipulate hormones at the right time but more importantly by being on low carbs and fat adapted, my body burned fat to make up the difference in the muscle building process. It was like being on a bulk diet, without food, but with my own body's stored energy.

Sounds about on target then. Thank you for sharing.
smile.gif

I hope you get good results this time also.

Back