increase of weight.

madcat

ok. so Ive worked out all of my maxes and I'm ready to begin my first cycle. Well, almost.... I have a question, I have browsed the forums but don't really have a solid understanding.
For example... I've recorded my max reps for biceps using the straight bar curl the results are as follows.
15's - 90 10's - 105 5's - 125.
I want to increase the weight by 5 pounds each workout but my problem is this. When I reach the 15 rep max on my 6th day the weight is 90 pounds. Then my first workout of 10's should be 95 pounds, second workout will be 100, and the third workout will be 105. So already into the third day of the 10's I've hit my max, but there are 6 days in the 10's cycle.
Can I just repeat the 105 weight, and add an extra set each day untill the end of 10's?

Use something like this:

90, 95, 95, 100, 100, 105

and adjust your tempo to make the 90's a bit tougher.

Either do as O&G said, or double up. Use 95, 100, and 105 twice in a row. The general trend is still upwards, over time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ Jan. 08 2005,11:05)]Use something like this:
90, 95, 95, 100, 100, 105
and adjust your tempo to make the 90's a bit tougher.
O&G, I've always wondered if it's really best to do this. Wouldn't it be ideal to maintain as many controls as possible, to be sure that RBE is being overcome? For example, maintaining the same range of motion, total TUT, rep speed etc., as best as possible, so you isolate LOAD as the variable that will always be increasing so the total stress on the muscle is always increasing?

I tend to view rep speed as really an issue of TUL, and I view TUL from the standpoint of diminishing returns. I think the loss in work between 10s and 5s can be significant, but then I reason that the load increments near true maximal threshhold compensates for that. I suppose that's why I don't zig-zag between 10s and 5s.

cheers,
Jules

I guess this is the thread to tack this question on.
I have been using uneven increments during my cycles. For example, my benchpress uses these weights:

55, 60, 65, (5kg increment)

for the first 3 workouts then,

67.5, 70, 72.5 (2.5kg increment) for the final 3 workouts.

As pointed out above the load is being increased each time but not in a uniform way. (I never follow a smaller increment by a larger one). For some of the smaller exercises like skullcrushers, my increments start at 2.5kg but reduce to 1kg or even 0.5kg wrist weights for the final workout.

In my 2nd round of 5's (I don't do negatives), I keep the cycle going as long as possible, using smaller and smaller increments to try to eke out as much from the cycle as possible. After some of the isolation exercises (ie. Bicep curls) stagnate, I still keep going with the bench and squat until everything plateaus.

Then I SD'd for a good 2 weeks and start again.

I'm only on my 2nd cycle of HST so dunno if this increment scheme is really that effective or not however I've had a decent weight increase of 4kg in 3 months and have increased weights by 1.2 during the second cycle so far.

Anyway- the question was whether a pure HST cycle called for uniform weight increments or whether you could tweak the increases as I have. As I'm a beginner to HST and relative beginner to lifting, although it feels good to me, I'd appreciate any thoughts.

IMO, I think your idea is fine, the heavy weights in the last part of 10's and during the 5's and neg's will help compensate for the lower increments. As a matter of fact at least you are adding weight instead of doubling the workout. In the end will it make much of a difference, probably not but it could so keep us advised on how it goes and maybe try a few cycles as O&G says and see if you respond any differently. Let us know. :)

Back