Individual training approach for each muscle group?

aa7

Hello everyone, I'm a new member :)

I have a question regarding training specificity... is it reasonable to create a training program (after a bit of weight lifting experience) based around how you wish to apply main muscles into real world activity?

For example, because I may have little use for endurance in the shoulder muscles, maybe I could train in a way that develops explosive strength/speed-strength type ability in the shoulders.

If I wanted to be a quick fighter then perhaps increasing the strength of the upper arms without any unnecessary mass/strengthening the lats, shoulders and traps would be a good idea.

If I did a lot of pulling and climbing then some strength-endurance/bodyweight strength for all of the back muscles.

If I ran a lot of distance, then thigh muscles could be trained for endurance-type purposes, or maybe at first I'd like to be fast at running, so then I'd be doing heavy squats/high jumps and such?

Essentially all muscles having their individually assigned goals to be better at something specific. I'm sure there'd be overlapping exercises that may prove counterproductive in some cases, but who knows, it could be easy to minimize.

Any thoughts? :eek:

In a word, yes - but you have to be careful not to throw yourself out of muscular balance. There's no reason NOT to train specific muscles different ways for specific activities - but you should still train your remaining muscle groups even if they have a lesser focus. Make sense?

EDIT... Regardless of the specific activity, there will always be a need for secondary or supporting muscle groups to be developed. In each of the categories you listed, I could make an argument for whole body training. The argument becomes whether you train for power/explosiveness or endurance. The training methodologies differ tremendously between the two. Regardless - I think it would be more helpful if you laid out your specific goals so that we as a collective can help you get to where you want to go. There are some very bright folks here with a vast amount of knowledge - I think you'd do well to lay out your goals.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, though I have no goals set in stone at the moment my question was only a recent thought :)

However I do have a quiery involving Bryan Haycock's
periodised training schedule at the end of his Advanced Training Planning for Bodybuilders articles.

An example of a periodised training schedule for someone interested in both size and strength would be as follows:

Week 1 - 3: 3 - 4 work sets with 15-20 RM.
2-3 exercise per body part.
3-4 half-body sessions/week

[...]

Does this mean 3-4 work sets per exercise or per body part?

Back