Insulin Spikes

Depends on how picky you want to be.

Extremely picky

Keep the only high insulin meal to after training.

partially picky

Keep insulin high before and after training

Not picky

keep it high as often as you feel :)

I guess it would depend on goals but would you not want high insulin meals pre and post workout anyway to get those nutrients into the muscles quickly/more efficiently?

and possibly in the morning after a nights 'starvation'?

Yes, pre and post workout.

"Pre- and post-exercise nutrition is critical if one wants to maximize the anabolic effects of exercise. The pre-exercise meal should be high in a quickly digestible protein. This will ensure high delivery of amino acids to the muscle tissue. Carbohydrates can also be taken in to minimize glycogen loss and suppress catabolic hormones. Fat should be avoided pre-exercise unless the exercise is for endurance."

Here's the article

pre post nutrition

what do u mean with 'picky'?i cannot find it on a dictionary...
blush.gif

Hi bogy,

picky just means " fussy "

Extremely fussy = Add some muscle but don't want to add fat

Partially fussy = Add some muscle and some fat

Not fussy = Add as much muscle and fat (all you can eat buffet ... dont' forget beer
laugh.gif

Then i have to remember what I actually wrote.

Basically people get caught up in all the 'must have insulin low to lose fat'

but for years bbrs ate basically a high glycemic high glycemic load diet. And still lost fat.......

Sure, potentially having low glycogen stores and eating a low insulin producing diet could be 'best' but people have done awfull well without going to these extremes.

Now for dieting purposes in the real world, low gi/insulin will be good for hunger control, but some people dont even get affected by this.
For fat loss purposes I think I will go with a lyle quote (well maybe not exactly as he said, but its close enuff "most of what you lose from a deficit (75-80% of the variance) is being controlled by your body (bodyfat percentage and leptin kinetics) and there's not a thing you can do about it.”
and the other 20-25% probably is related to having adequate protien in the diet. Spending you life worrying about amount of insulin produced from meals doesnt usually achieve much at all.
<rant off>

I may get flamed for this one... This is one of the reasons why I think training in the early AM is superior. The research PROVES you have a far more efficient insulin response in the morning than later in the day, probably because your kidneys aren't tired out. And I agree that post workout is Ideal for an insulin spike. Therefore, to accomplish a massive and efficient insulin at the optimal time (post workout, when anabolism is most appreciated), have a small protein/carb/fat meal when awaken, then drink a super fast absorbing post workout shake when you finish. badabing badaboom

Back