Is Pasta a good source of Carbs?

Monkey

Hey

I've recently started HST and am also trying to improve the quality of my diet. I'm trying to eat a lot of pasta mixed with chicken and tuna so that I get a good combination of Carbohydrates and Protein. However I think I have picked up somewhere that white pasta is bad for you, is this correct and if so what sort of carbohydrates should I be eating? Should i eat more potatoes?

Thanks in advance.

No, pasta is not bad for you. The 'white' kind is a little higher in GI than the 'brown' kind, but seeing as how you combine it with protein and some fat, it really doesn't matter that much.

Blade is right, in a mixed meal, the glycemic effect of a food is blunted by the combination of carbs, protien and fat available in that meal. I think people get hung up on the details (including myself!) so just concentrate on getting enough calories, protein, fat, and water in reasonable ratios, and eating at least 5 to 6 times a day . After you've accomplished that you can go on to other things like glycemic response, supplements etc.

Elle

Most pastas really aren't that high on the GI, competitive with yams actually. Then you add in the marinara, parmesan, olive oil, white wine, bacon, peas, oh carbonara . . .

Ahem. Wheat pasta works just fine. Remember to cook it al dente :)

cheers,
Jules

Back