Is the Korte 3x3 system good for hypertrophy

Vaymigade

I was reading up on the 3x3 Korte system on deepsquatter.com and I noticed that a the training methods utilized, although done for a different reason were very similar to that used in HST, so i was wondering if an expert could concur with the deductions ive made or elucidate my confusion.

1) Training Frequency - Training is done 3 days a week, M, W, F similar to HST. This should keep protein synthesis levels up in muscles.
2) Progressive Load - The Load goes up from 58 to 64 percent in the first 4 weeks and from 80 to 95 percent in the next 4 weeks. Also, the loads increase from cycle to cycle.
3) Use of Compound lifts to maximize load of muscle tissue - The 3 lifts, the deadlift, squat and the benchpress are the only ones performed, although for a different reason.
4) Adjustment of Reps to accomodate increases in load - In the second phase of the program.

The one thing i saw that it differed from HST was in that it aimed to increase the amount of volume imposed on the muscle, for example during the first 4 weeks one does 5-8 sets of 5 reps. Although this doesn't lead to muscular failure i was wondering how this would affect the trainee.

And lastly, there was no mention of Strategic Deconditioning, although a week of this could easily be fitted in between a cycle.

I would like to know if my deductions are correct, how hypertrophy specific the program would be and how it would compare to HST. If its as effective as HST in building muscle, shouldn't one consider it a superior program as it would lead to greater increases in voluntary muscular strength aswell?

I'm sure it will give you some hypertrophy results. Not as much as HST or even other bodybuilding programs for a few reasons.
1. lack of direct work on body parts.
Even though the compound lifts are good, they don't really stand alone. There's nothing in there for lats, abs, or biceps. Triceps and shoulders get worked only indirectly.
2. possibility of overtraining.
It's a lot of volume if you aren't used to it. Course this is dependent on what you personally are capable of. Having only to do 3 lifts does help w/ this though. It's up to you. You could adjust the volume if you wanted to, but you'd be messing w/ the program.
3. concentration on concentric portion
Strength routines are mainly for building strength and don't have an emphasis on the eccentric (negative) portion of the lift that is most responsible for hypertrophy. If you did concentrate on the neg, I don't think you would be able to complete your sets at the % given.
All that being said, it still isn't a really bad program. In fact, it's quite good for strength. If you're looking into a strength program and you like this one, then go ahead and try it. B/c of the progressive load and frequency you'll achieve some level of hypertrophy. Know your body. Make sure you have a strong enough core to take squatting and DLs 3x week.
Also, you may consider adding Bent Over Rows to the program so you don't ignore the big back muscles. (Not necessarily following the program, but however you see fit.)

P.S. Deepsquatter is my favorite PL board. Good to hear about it.

The only thing i have a concern with with this program is the last of direct targetting of muscle groups, but in the articles on the website, it claims that the lats, rear delts, traps, biceps and forearms are worked quite excellently isometrically and that the triceps, chest and anterior delts are worked equally well if one benches with proper form (as in lift through the quickest route which is directly up). Id assume the squat would work directly every muscle in the lower body except for the gastrocnemius, which is worked as a stabilizer. Could you clarify how working these muscles in tandem would be inferior to working it seperately?

yes, most of these muscles are worked, but not well. The amount of load placed on muscles other than the prime mover and maybe major synergists isnt enough for hypertrophy. remember, hypertrophy usually occurs in the +60% max range (at least), and that's w/ adequate time under tension and range of movement. well, in say a bench, the chest and tris are worked very well, but really the shoulders are capable of much more load than what is applied to them. stabilizers arent getting anywhere near that amount of load. like i said, the biceps are barely touched by any of those exercises. the lats are used nowhere near enough.

also, hypertrophy results best in moving the muscle through a full range of motion. so if a muscle is worked isokinetically (praying thats the right word) its not getting what it needs for growth. endurance and strength do increase some. thats why we do reps, not just hold a heavy weight in a static position.

so while most of your muscles are used, many of them are not used enough to produce maximum hypertrophy. The program will produce SOME hypertrophy. It will give you strength increases. Decide on your goals and go for it if thats what you want.

Back