Joe's 1st cycle

taz007

Hi Guys my name is Joe I’m 5' 9" 175 lbs and I’m not really new to working out, I have been weight training for about 5 years now. I discovered this type of training by looking for the best routine for gaining mass. This is how my first cycle looks, I implemented all compound exercises considering it recruits the most motor units and greatly stresses the endocrine system, I only have about 45 minutes to 50 minutes to work out so let me know what you guys think.

Monday / Wednesday / Friday                      
Squats          
Bench Press
Incline Bench press  
Calf Press

Tuesday / Thurs /
Deadlift
Barbell Rows  
EZ Bar curls
Abs

Then Next week switch off. I know the frequency is kinda off, but it makes some sense for me to employ power movements such as deadlift and squat. It does looks like im overtraining considering im doing squat and deadlift almost everyday, but since im not training to failiure it really shouldn’t put too much stress on my CNS. Also I didn’t employ any shoulder exercise because my shoulders are the biggest muscles on my body and it overshadows my chest and biceps. So for this cycle im leaving it out.  On the 15’s im doing one set, on the 10’s im doing 2 and on the 5’s im doing 3 sets. Im trying to get my basic compound weights up and my goal is to gain mass. Let me know if I should rearrange anything or what you guys think about how my routine looks. Thanks guys

Hi Joe and welcome,

I think you have some good exercises in your routine. I would lower the volume though. Five times a week sounds like overtraining and begging for an injury. If you can handle it it's good, but I wouldn't for sure.

<div>
(bullseye @ Jun. 09 2008,3:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I would lower the volume though. Five times a week sounds like overtraining and begging for an injury. If you can handle it it's good, but I wouldn't for sure.</div>
+1

Five times per week is a lot. It is also probably a lot more than you need.

Of course, you have to judge for yourself, but many of us have had a lot of luck with three or four workouts per week.

Thanks bullseye and TunnelRat for the advice I'm gonna cut the volume down to 4 times a week. So its each exercise being done 2X a week  

Monday / Wednesday                      
Squats          
Bench Press
Incline Bench press  
Calf Press

Tuesday / Thurs
Deadlift
Barbell Rows  
EZ Bar curls
Abs

Fri / Sat / Sunday - Rest maybe some mild cardio

So it will take me  3 weeks to finish each rep range (ex. 15's, 10's, 5's). When I cut the amount of exercises per day it really helps with the concentration and focus to be applied to each muscle group and also greater loading of weight. Technically my volume is less than the original HST cycle of loading 3X a week. The 2X a week should allow for greater mass development with the addition of heavy compounds. Does this still look like I'm overtraining? any critique would def be appreciated.
I know the original HST cycle has many scientific articles proving its effectiveness because of frequency, progressive loading etc. but I tried the 3X a week frequency of 8 exercises being performed and with my caloric intake which was extremely high, protein intake was high but I still felt extremely run down within my routine in the Gym and outside also. I feel that splitting the 8 exercise to two days allows for greater focus and energy being employed to every compound exercise.  Thanks a lot guys and hope to hear from you soon  
smile.gif

I'm a bit skeptic about you squatting 2 times and deadlifting 2 times in one week. You'll be hitting your lower back 4 days in a row, Ouch. Here's my suggestion while still keeping all the exercises you've listed and keeping time short so you have energy, i'd go back to 3 x a week

Squats/Deadlifts(alternate ever other workout)
bench Press/Incline or press
Barbell Row/Chinups possibly or just row every day
calves
curls/tricep work
abs

You'll be in and out of gym around 30-45 minutes, maybe an hour in the 5's if need a longer break between sets.

Each workout is only 3 big compounds and some filler work.

If you've been lifting for 5 years you should know what's best for you, but one of the most common mistakes for beginners and veterans alike is to overtrain. You want faster and faster results so you train more often and for longer. And when you don't see results you train a little more. Usually the person is not seeing results due to overtraining and certainly training more is not going to help.
Everyone is different so maybe your frequency should be fine for you but if you want my suggestion just try something different and see how your body responds. If you don't like the results at least you've learned something about your body.
Either do a 3x / week fullbody routine like Riggins suggested or if you really want 4x / week then split upper body lower body.
If your goal is to bulk/gain mass then skip those cardio days (or at least reduce for only once a week) and remember to eat, eat and then eat more.

<div>
(HstRiggins @ Jun. 10 2008,1:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm a bit skeptic about you squatting 2 times and deadlifting 2 times in one week. You'll be hitting your lower back 4 days in a row, Ouch</div>
I dunno, on my last cycle I was squatting twice per week and deadlifting twice per week. It was tiring but very satisfying. I don't think it gets to be a problem until you start approaching your rep maxes (at which time it's not bad to scale things back a bit...).

Back