Johnnielow: My Mission Log

johnnielow

So, my mission is simple, remove fat from my obese body and hopefully maintain as much lean muscle as possible using HST. I will be following a very simple diet, carbs at breakfast and post workout with lean proteins and then all other meals will be lean proteins and fruit or veggies. Fats will come from good sources such as EVOO and Omega 3's and fish oil. Carb/protein and fat/protein meals will be seperated.

Cardio will be done 3 days a week post workout usin a HIIT method and then 2 days a week on its own using HIIT as well with longer intervals. Weekends will be kept open for family and rest and recovery.

My first HST cycle will include the following exercises and will remain constant for 8 weeks. I tend to overthink or over analyze things and will not here. Basic is the theme.

The exercises will be

Workout 1
Squats
Leg Curls
Incline Bench
Shoulder Press
Pushdowns
Bent Rows
Barbell Curls
Abs
Calves

Workout 2
Rack Deadlifts
Incline Bench
Dips
Upright Rows
Rear Laterals
Pulldowns
Calves
Abs

Abs will be done on cardio only days. I reserve the right to drop an arm isolation exercise as I see fit from session to session.

Base numbers for the 15 rep range will be set Monday the 26th.

My mission begins.

Note-Thanks to nkl for the routine!

Looks like a good routine & diet.. I shall be reading your log with interest. Only thing is: you have more upper body pushing exercises than pulling, you really have to balance the two IMHO.

<div>
(wannagrow @ May 23 2008,2:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Looks like a good routine &amp; diet.. I shall be reading your log with interest. Only thing is: you have more upper body pushing exercises than pulling, you really have to balance the two IMHO.</div>
I see that, will make the adjustment after the initial 8 weeks but I do appreciate the input.

<div>
(HstRiggins @ May 23 2008,2:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Good luck, I'm in for the ride.</div>
Good to have you along.

OK, my final, final change based on input from Fausto

Workout #1
Squats
Lying Curls
Bench
Pulldowns
Seated Rows
Shoulder Press
Curls
Pressdowns
Standing Calf Raises

Workout #2
Leg Press
Lying Curls
Bench
Dips
Pulldowns
Rack Deadlifts
Shoulder Press
Rear Laterals
Standing Calf Raises

Cardio in the beginning will be done mainly on off days as well as abs.

OK, that is it, done. I so appreciate all the help. I can see that this is a great place for advice and help. I just hope that I can return the kindness.

What are lying curls? If you have a machine the enables you to do seated calf raises, you may want to alternate, since calves seems to be one of your priorities. Good luck!

<div>
(soflsun @ May 24 2008,4:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What are lying curls?  If you have a machine the enables you to do seated calf raises, you may want to alternate, since calves seems to be one of your priorities.  Good luck!</div>
Lying leg curls are a hamstring exercise.

I may do seated calves but would not say that they are a priority but they are an area that needs help.

That's a lot of HIIT! I'm impressed. Just did one HIIT-workout myself and almost killed myself.

With that volume you will probably shed fat fast. Good luck!

<div>
(bullseye @ May 26 2008,3:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That's a lot of HIIT! I'm impressed. Just did one HIIT-workout myself and almost killed myself.

With that volume you will probably shed fat fast. Good luck!</div>
That is the goal, thanks. Now I just have to get rolling.

Finally got to the gym and set my base numbers for my 15 rep sets, kicked my butt, LOL.

Question, I am not strong enough to do 15 reps of dips, any advice? Can I do machine dips while I build my strength?

Thanks!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> I am not strong enough to do 15 reps of dips</div>

me too. i can only do about 10. Does you gym have a weigh assisted dip station? I use one of those and basically you can set up your 15's 10's 5's real nice on those.

<div>
(HstRiggins @ May 27 2008,6:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> I am not strong enough to do 15 reps of dips</div>

me too.  i can only do about 10.  Does you gym have a weigh assisted dip station?  I use one of those and basically you can set up your 15's 10's 5's  real nice on those.</div>
We do, that is a great idea. I will get my base numbers set up with that.

Thank you!

Went to the gym and walked for 45 minutes at a 7% incline at 2.8mph on the treadmill. Legs are sore but felt better after.

Back