kava kava

It has also been associated with liver cancer, but it was in specific countries, so i dont know the circumstances

Yep, kavalactones/kavapyrones are significantly hepatotoxic (according to the abstracts I have seen on Pubmed).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy741 @ Nov. 26 2003,10:03)]Here's some articles that say otherwise. Of course it's courtesy of a kava seller.
http://www.kavaking.com/articles.html
You'd even consider a biased article in the face of all the research abstracts available on Pubmed? I mean, yes, read it, and see if it offers anything of value, but the facts will remain untainted -for the most part- in the research.

It sounds like most of the pubmed articles have to do with kava extract rather than the whole root itself.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy741 @ Nov. 27 2003,12:20)]It sounds like most of the pubmed articles have to do with kava extract rather than the whole root itself.
How does that change the fact that the active ingredient is hepatotoxic?

What's the active ingredient?

I should have said just the root rather than the whole root. I think some extracts use stuff from the leaves and stems.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy741 @ Nov. 27 2003,10:26)]What's the active ingredient?
I should have said just the root rather than the whole root. I think some extracts use stuff from the leaves and stems.
Kavalactones/kavapyrones.

From memory any problems were associated with supplemental forms, becuase polynesians have been using Kava for years without too much of a problem..
crazy.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy741 @ Nov. 30 2003,4:28)]What is NAC?
Do you think Kava can lower cortisol? I found this supplement, but I didn't see anything on pubmed about kava affecting cortisol.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/iron/growth.html
N-acetyl cysteine

As for lowering cortisol, they are making a bit of a jump. It could do so indirectly by lowering anxiety.

However, most people overrate the effects of cortisol on muscle loss. It is now a buzz word, much like "overtraining" and "growth hormone elevation" are.

Besides, I could see it making a person weaker (possibly). You'd have to play with the dosages.

Back