longterm diet experiments

stevie

i wish to share my personal diet results with the hope that they might help someone.
Over the last year i have performed controlled diet experiments on myself (as controlled as is possible with a busy life..but nevertheless fairly well adhered to plans).
I will emphasise that i am not very well muscled...although thats my aim. i have not realised my muscular gain potential or anything. I am the typical HIT convert who gained much strength but little mass! Although HIT is a very logical methodoligy and has GREAT merits, it took me 4 years to figure that HIT was not making ME grow!
Without posting too many details here are the important observations:
1)For the last 4 years i ate 2500kcals daily- approx 65%carbs, 20% protein and 15% fat. this provided me with a stable weight of 75kgs and a couple of modest love handles (nothing too bad)
2)This is my 5th year of training. At the beginning of the year i upped my calories to around 3000kcals daily- achieved by adding 3 extra large bowls of rice per day. This was in an attempt to grow. I maintained my regular HIT workout. I wouldnt say i gained anymore than fat as commented by many people. Weight went up to 80kgs in a month, with no significant progression in the gym.
3)Since i wasnt exactly gaining any muscle i figured i might aswell cut so that i might at least look better. so i cut out all carbs except some fruit and veg. I ate approx 1g/lb BW protein and MASSES of veg every day. Within a week i lost 3kgs (probably mostly water). After a month people started commenting on how i had really lost weight very suddenly. After 2months i was 70kgs and the love handles I carried since birth (it felt like that) had almost totally gone. I was kinda happy except that i realised that i really didnt have too much muscle
sad.gif
I was just a thin looking guy who knows he can squat/deadlift a house but doesnt look like he can
sad.gif

By the way, eating like this did not help HIT perfromance but did amke me 'feel' extremely healthy.
4)So the time came just a few months ago to try HST (after much sceptisism and doubt- I have many people at this forum to thank for some very useful information.) I performed what i thought at the time was an HST cycle on my carb restricted diet. I actually think i gained a very small amount of muscle mass but the cycle was actually not really HST.
5)So i am now on my first real HST cycle (i finally lost all my inhibitions and plunged head first into HST). I am following the same carb restricted diet but have added 100g carbs equally spaced throughout the day. Before and after workouts i down a whey shake. And the post workout meal involves 50g carbs (so on workout days i consume about 150g carbs and 50 extra grams of protein over my 1g/lb intake). 15s have just been completed. they felt VERY good! Generally i feel like i have more energy througout my busy days. I have gained a very small amount of fat at those bloody love handles again, but i figure i can live with it so that i can give HST a good shot.
My main observation over the year was that the difference between gaining body fat and loosing body fat did not amount to many calories and personal experimantation is viatal if you really want to find out what makes you tick.
Hopefully with this knowledge, i can go forth and grow!
Wish me luck.
Any adivce would be warmly recieved.

What I don't understand is, since it has been shown by research that a fat intake of less than 30% of total calories lowers your male hormones, why so many people keep on doing low fat diets? Especially coupled with low calories it's a recipe for disaster. Don't get it.

30% of total, maintenance or (say, 1000) calories? Did the studies discriminate between polyunsaturated fats and unsaturated fats, BF levels, and overall caloric intake?

I've found, like you Stevie, that eating a high-carb diet just didn't work with my body. I felt alternatively full and hungry, and it wasn't easy putting on mass or losing fat. Just a mess, really.

That said, I'd recomend Stevie adding more carbs back into the diet. Steadily, but somewhere until it's at least 1:1 carbs-to-protein.

cheers,
Jules

wow.gif
6-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (vicious @ Dec. 05 2002,2
wow.gif
6)]30% of total, maintenance or (say, 1000) calories? Did the studies discriminate between polyunsaturated fats and unsaturated fats, BF levels, and overall caloric intake?
Don't know. There's an article at Think Muscle by Bryan that refers to it. I believe saturated fats are of most relevance for optimum hormonal profile, and cholesterol also.

I'm not sure. Polyunsaturated fats can be extremely positive or negative to hormonal levels. Too much O3 or oxidized polyunsaturated fats (refined vegetable oils) can drop T-levels.

What's disturbing about the studies is that higher protein seems to increase cortisol AND lower T-levels. Even overfeeding lowers T-levels. Wow. That's interesting.

cheers,
Jules

stevie

I definitely feel healthier when I am lighter -- I am one of those few people who does not like bulking. Eating less just feels better.

So far, I have not yet tried to do protein + veg diet + EFA + multi-vita + magnesium + zinc. I might just start on it, however, as it sounds pretty good.

Back