low volume strength program?

bobpit

I am looking for a Strength program to interchange with HST. Can somebody recommend one?

I guess it should be low volume, so that it does not cause much microtrauma.

Do a search for 5x5 and look down a couple of threads for the "Korte's program" thread.

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Periodized_5x5.htm

The masses here like the Max Stim program too, but believe me, the 5x5 is a great ride and it works well. You should be intermediate, so you won't need to start with the early program.

Some guys have skipped the 15's like your experimental idea to focus on strength and hypertrophy. I think that's okay; have done it myself, but the 15's also have their uses. Like healing these ol' joints!

I am aware of the 5x5 program. I will try it.

I am wondering though. Why is it based more on SQ and less on the DL? SQ is more technical and uses less muscles. Can hurt you easier if form is not good. I think I will try a cycle based on DL.

But is this low volume? It is not just a strength only program. I am sure that with enough food it builds muscle. Am I wrong?

No, but it did build fat easier for me. One should monitor intake a bit closer IMO. I wasn't so impressed at gains as I was at the astounding strength increases. The plan was to alternate my strength with HST for gains. (MORE gains)
Then work happened and everything went to crap. Can't lift when doing 60-72 hrs a week, physical. I still think it's the best plan, and BTW, I had to close down caloric intake in the 5's with HST too.

<div>
(mathey @ May 29 2007,09:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Rippetoe's &quot;Starting Strength&quot;</div>
I have the book. It teaches you the major lifts. It does not offer any program though.

there's a pretty detailed write-up on another popular website...(not sure if can post a link to it?)

basically:

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Power cleans -or- Pendlay rows

You train on 3 nonconsecutive days per week.

So week 1 might look like:
Monday - Workout A
Wednesday - Workout B
Friday - Workout A

Week 2:
Monday - Workout B
Wednesday - Workout A
Friday - Workout B

I think the squat is the main focus in the 5x5 and 3x5 because the deadlift causes too much fatigue and cannot be worked as often.

Back