Meal Content (mixing fat and Carbs)

SPE

Many people lately have been talking about the benefits of eating protein/carb meals, and protein/fat meals because of the fact that when you are eating carbs all day you are not in a state of lipolysis (fat burning) They claim if you eat pro/fat early in the day, workout, and then eat pro/carb for the rest of the day, you will burn more fat. Does anyone believe this? Is lipolysis inhibited when insulin is present in the body? How much does all of this matter? I know many here say, "it's all about energy in vs energy out", but to that these guys think that explanation is too simplistic and many other variables like hormones are involved.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Does anyone believe this?
well some do, but some people also believe in santa claus
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is lipolysis inhibited when insulin is present in the body?
yes, even the amounts of insulin present during starvation are enough to inhibit lipolysis
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How much does all of this matter?
not really
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I know many here say, "it's all about energy in vs energy out", but to that these guys think that explanation is too simplistic and many other variables like hormones are involved.
In theory it should help, but in reality it doesnt make a difference.
eat too much get fat
eat too little get leaner
A meal with some protein, some carbs and some fats offer better satiety than a protein/.carb meal
THe other interesing point to go from on the Berardi idea, is that he recommends multiple meals per day, and a relatively high carbohydrate concentration. IF you eat a p+c meal, followed 2.3-3 hours later by a P+F meal, do you really think that the body will suddenly stop oxidising the carbs that it had prior, and then start using the fat?
(and most food combiners of berardi opt for more P+C in the morning, followed by P+F in hte evening because of insulin sensitivity etc).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]THe other interesing point to go from on the Berardi idea . . .

Well, that's where I read about it (the P+C and P+F meal thing). Maybe there's something to it, and maybe there isn't - he cites many studies to support - but it's really a pain in the neck to plan it to that level, at least for me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]he cites many studies to support

No actually, he cites studies that potentially support his ideas. There are no studies that actually compare the two specific items.
If keto vs high carb diets show absolutely no benifit over each other. How is one that mixes the two in the course of the day actually going to make any difference at all?

The only advantage that I can see for not mixing carbs and fat is that it forces you to eat relatively clean. Most things that contain high levels of both are not the best food choices ( pizza, burgers and fries etc). In the long run though it really is all about energy balance.

Lyle has talked about this quite a bit on MFW as voodoo nutrition. Basically, anything you might alter in the short term with food combining will be cancelled out in the long run by your body. You body is too smart for any of that crap to work...it basically does come down to calories.

Maybe do some googling for Lyle Mcdonald and food combining.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Aaron_F, eat too much get fat, eat too little get leaner

thumbs-up.gif

I've been trying for a while to find the MFW message board where Lyle Posts, does anyone have a URL? What name does he post under? Thanks :)

Do you know why he posts as "ghost of lyle" now?

I'm going to do the food combining thing as I have nothing to lose by doing so I think (?). Since protein raises insulin, would eating the fat without protein help? What about eating all the day's worth of fat after say 4-5 hours of not eating.? Could the entire day's worth of fat be digested when taken all at once?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fuzz @ Mar. 19 2003,10:11)]Do you know why he posts as "ghost of lyle" now?
I think he had problem with ISP and became Lyle again when he switched to Grande Communications, but I may be wrong.

If you are looking for the thread it is titled "Lyle McDonald" do a search in MFW for Berardi.

Back