Mike's Log - The Road to Recovery

It would be cool to see how you respond to good old HST bulk cycle. I'd bet you'd gain a ridiculous amount of muscle, especially in your shoulder balance, you'd bulk up the shoulder cuff too. I say go for it. It sounds like you are already razor lean, so put some muscle on!

Honestly I will probably be sticking to my routine for the time being. If I make a change, it may actually be in the opposite direction, i.e. towards a more classic split routine (though maintaining at least twice a week rehab type movements).

edit:

Looking more over "ideal" splits (in terms of being balanced), I think my first step will be just to streamline my current split a little. I probably have a few unneeded exercises that aren't going to greatly contribute to anything.

One form of "ideal" split I've previously come up with:

Shoulders/Midback
Anterior Chain/Calves
off
Chest/Lats
Posterior Chain/Calves

Which, in less bodybuilder-y terms, is actually:

Vertical Push/Horizontal Pull
Squat and Squat Assistance Lifts
off
Horizontal Push/Vertical Pull
Deadlift and Deadlift Assistance Lifts

However, you could equally distribute the exercises and get something very close to what I'm already doing. I do believe that, all else constant, having more distribution of otherwise equal (weekly) volume is probably the path towards optimization.

Last edited:
Honestly I will probably be sticking to my routine for the time being. If I make a change, it may actually be in the opposite direction, i.e. towards a more classic split routine (though maintaining at least twice a week rehab type movements).

I mean an "HSN BuLK", a scientific approach to bulking, as you were discussing earlier. I think its a good idea, if you go for the bulk, and don't hold back the calories for awhile. It would be interesting to see how your partitioning worked out, I'd guess it would be good, high lean mass gain.

I mean an "HSN BuLK", a scientific approach to bulking, as you were discussing earlier. I think its a good idea, if you go for the bulk, and don't hold back the calories for awhile. It would be interesting to see how your partitioning worked out, I'd guess it would be good, high lean mass gain.

I guess I'll play it by ear. I'm already enjoying my current calorie bump. If my bodyweight stays kind of stagnant, I may bump it even further.

For what it's worth, I think your current training split is fine. Especially for a power lifter, it's ideal. Of course streamlining it as you outlined it may be even better.

Last edited:
Should have posted this here: Mikey, where do I find an explanation or video of "Leg Rapers"... I'm hesitant to "google search" using those terms. :)

Should have posted this here: Mikey, where do I find an explanation or video of "Leg Rapers"... I'm hesitant to "google search" using those terms. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCzDGDxMmPI

First exercise in the video above. It's basically a full squat in which you go to the bottom (below parallel), pause briefly, go ~half way up, pause briefly, and then back down. It's basically a constant-tension-on-your-legs form of squatting in which you do little pauses at the bottom and halfway up. The idea is to never let your legs rest. They're kind brutal :)

Upper Body Day 2

T-Bar Rows (underhand grip, excluding bar weight)
70 x 10
90 x 10
115 x 8

Dumbbell Bench
130 (65s) x 10
150 (75s) x 10
170 (85s) x 8

Weighted Chins (!!!)
Me x 10
Me + 25 x 10
Me + 45 x 8

Seated DB Shoulder Press (pauses at top, touch and go at bottom)
60 (30s) x 10
80 (40s) x 10
80 (40s) x 8

EZ Bar Curls
60 x 10
70 x 13

DB External Rotations
5 x 10/side
8 x 10/side
8 x 10/side

Notes:

DB Bench didn't move since last week, though tonnage was higher (i.e. I did 65s and 75s on the way up this time instead of 60s and 70s). This is definitely a top end strength problem, but I don't mind sitting at a weight for a while.

I threw caution to the wind and tried chins today. Zero pain/discomfort, more or less. It probably helps that my working weights are substantially less than they used to be due to a combination of both doing them after a rowing exercise (which zaps my lat strength) and ramping up the weights (as opposed to jumping straight to heavier weights). This certainly isn't worse than the pulldowns, so I will probably stick with the chins for now. Same deal on the dumbbell shoulder press - this is actually less uncomfortable than very light lateral raises, and I feel a tremendous burn "inside" my shoulder when I make the pauses at the top. I will probably keep these in there, as well.

All in all I'm pleased with my progress. My shoulder is largely fine on a day to day basis, and I appear to be capable of including some of my old/off-limit exercises in my rotation. I am willing to throw them out again if they ever start bothering me, but in the past, I always found a tonic effect simply by including all the "basic" exercises. We'll see how things progress.

Last edited:
Do you notice when the weather outside changes temperatures any difference ...better or worse in shoulder pain?

I haven't noticed anything in relation to the weather, honestly. My shoulder does occasionally feel funky after waking up, which I assume is probably a product of how I'm sleeping. No actual pain at night, though.

Really glad to hear your shoulder is feeling better, Mike! Also, thanks for the "leg raper" video. It looks like they are properly named!! :)

Saw a couple of your other videos... did I really see you deadlift 450? How much did you weigh for that lift? Crazy strong, man. Very motivating...

Really glad to hear your shoulder is feeling better, Mike! Also, thanks for the "leg raper" video. It looks like they are properly named!! :)

Saw a couple of your other videos... did I really see you deadlift 450? How much did you weigh for that lift? Crazy strong, man. Very motivating...

Yep, I pulled 205 kg (just over 450) in my PL competition back in April of 2006. I was definitely heavier then, ~176 lbs at weigh-in, I believe.

Lower Body Day 2

Deadlifts (Vibrams)
135 x 10 (no belt, double overhand)
215 x 10 (no belt, straps)
295 x 9 (belt, straps)

Leg Rapers
95 x 10
125 x 10
160 x 8

Leg Press Calf Raise (excluding sled weight)
80/side x 10
105/side x 10
135/side x 15

Hip Abduction Machine
70 x 10
80 x 10
90 x 9

Leg Curl Machine (0, K, M)
70 x 10
80 x 15

Notes:

Slight sciatic whatever on the top set of deadlifts, but what else is new. I considered going for a 10th rep but decided to save it for another time. Path of wisdom and all. I tried to be extra calm during the leg rapers and didn't force out any additional reps there, either.

Upper Body Day 1

Cable Rows
120 x 10
140 x 10
160 x 10

DB Incline Bench
110 (55s) x 10
130 (65s) x 10
150 (75s) x 9

Machine Rows
105 x 10
120 x 10
135 x 9

Machine Lateral Raise
50 x 10
70 x 8
60 x ~10

Weighted Dips (!!!)
Me x 10
Me + 35 x 10
Me + 55 x 12

Shoulder Rehab - transverse abduction (rear delt machine)
52.5 x 10
60 x 10
75 x 10

Notes:

An interesting session. I discovered that I can still do weighted dips pretty much just fine. In fact, it might be even more comfortable than dumbbell benching. Perhaps because the scapulae can freely move? Cool either way, you know I love my dips.

I was also pleased to see I could do the lateral raise machine if I avoided going up excessively (stop arm at parallel to ground). Ideally I'd like to be doing external rotations, rear flyes, and side laterals in some form every week, pushing my strength up in these movements to specifically address my deficits.

Upper Body Day 1

Weighted Dips (!!!)
Me x 10
Me + 35 x 10
Me + 55 x 12

If that's kgs for the dips then I hate you! ;) And that's after DB incline bench too!

I haven't been able to dip in anger for ages, but once I'm fully fit and able again I'll be snapping at your heels!

You are too far ahead of me with your weighted chins, but with dips... well, I might just get you!

+1 dips. They don't hurt shoulder at all for me compared to benching, and I can move the most weight with dips, more than even than benching.

If that's kgs for the dips then I hate you! ;) And that's after DB incline bench too!

I haven't been able to dip in anger for ages, but once I'm fully fit and able again I'll be snapping at your heels!

You are too far ahead of me with your weighted chins, but with dips... well, I might just get you!

I'm from 'Murica, we speak in lbs. So just me, 35 lbs attached, and 55 lbs attached.

I'm also doing all of my pressing touch and go style. I have a suspicion that pausing all of my pushing work may have actually predisposed me to injury (due to the cumulative effects of slightly relaxing at the bottom).

Lower Body Day 1

High Bar Squat (Vibrams, straps)
135 x 10 (no belt)
180 x 10 (no belt)
225 x 8 (belt)

Leg Press (seat adjusted all the way up, excluding sled weight)
3 plates per side x 10
4 plates per side x 10
4 plates + 10 per side x 10

45 Degree Back Extensions (3rd hole)
Me x 10
Me + 25 x 10
Me + 65 x 10

Leg Extensions
97.5 x 10
112.5 x 10
127.5 x 10

Seated Calf Raises (excluding apparatus weight)
60 x 10
70 x 10
80 x 10

Notes:

I originally had thoughts of getting 10 reps with 225, but held back. Path of wisdom as per usual. Trying to control slight GM-ing as things get heavier, too.

Leg presssing felt much better tonight - with the seat all the way up, pressing from the heels felt a lot easier.

Last edited:
I'm from 'Murica, we speak in lbs. So just me, 35 lbs attached, and 55 lbs attached.

I'm also doing all of my pressing touch and go style. I have a suspicion that pausing all of my pushing work may have actually predisposed me to injury (due to the cumulative effects of slightly relaxing at the bottom).

Glad about the pounds! :) I have noted that more 'Muricans are speaking in kilos these days. I see them all over the MDUSA vids but I guess any Olympic related lifting will naturally go that way.

Floor-pressing obviously allows for relaxation at the bottom so I am doing my best not to let that happen. The first rep always feels the most uncomfortable.

Upper Body Day 2

Dual Cable Row (each handle independent)
100 (50/side) x 10
120 (60/side) x 10
140 (70/side) x 8

Dumbbell Bench
130 (65s) x 10 (oops)
150 (75s) x 8
170 (85s) x 9.5

Lat Pulldowns (underhand grip)
120 x 10
147.5 x 10
180 x 10

DB External Rotations (Poliquin style)
5 x 10/side
8 x 10/side
10 x 13/side

EZ Bar Curls
60 x 10
75 x 10
80 x 8
sidenote: no idea what the 2nd and 3rd sets actually were, they have a thick EZ curl bar whose weight I may be underestimating. I will probably just use the fixed bars (possibly with magnetic plates for finer increments) hereafter.

Notes:

I had a talk with myself and decided to keep things conservative for now. Hence the move from t-bar rows to another variant of cable rows (I feel it better where it counts), not including chins, and making "shoulder" work exclusively rehab for the time being. However, chins might literally be more comfortable than lat pulldowns, I think due to the fact that you reflexively brace by virtue of hanging from a bar. I have to be careful grabbing the lat pulldown handle as you can sort of relaxedly grip it with your arm, leaving the shoulder unstable (e.g. I got a pinching sensation for a split second on grabbing 180 without thinking about this fact). I may just do chins.

Also, I will probably periodize the loading a little better. The plan is to do something like 10s to 8s to 6s or 5s over time whenever I stall at a given range. I can't see a reason of going past a 5-6 RM basically ever for health, but there probably is a reason wrt strength (and research showing better dose/response at something like ~80% 1 RM for advanced trainees). Of course I will probably customize this range over time, e.g. certain lifts could be higher (going from 15s to 8s over time or whatever). It is kind of funny to me how, in a sense, this winds up looking like a poor man's HST. Frequent-ish loading, starting light, progressively getting heavier over time, and then deloading after stalling in the heaviest range (I'll take a week off or something).

Last edited:
Lower Body Day 2

Deadlifts (Vibrams)
135 x 10 (no straps, no belt) - oops, meant to do 8
215 x 8 (straps, no belt)
295 x 9 (straps, belt)

Leg Rapers
95 x 10 - oops, meant to do 8
125 x 10 - oops again
160 x 8

Leg Press Calf Raise
2 plates per side x 10
2 plates + 35 per side x 10
2 plates + 70 per side x 10

Hip Abduction Machine
70 x 8
80 x 8
90 x 10

Leg Curls
60 x 10 (seated)
90 x 10 (lying)
100 x 8 (a little too heavy)

Notes:

Decent session. Deadlifts didn't improve, but that's alright. After reviewing my form in squats the other day I'm tinkering with sitting back slightly more to keep my hamstrings tighter (prevents GMing). I also did some light external rotations and rear delt flyes. I may keep up this tradition to crank up the frequency even more for rehab purposes (i.e. the upper body days would be "heavier" rehab days, with the lower body days being light, the purpose of which is to speed recovery / get more blood flowing to the area).

Back