Milk and Acne

Some people are crazy when it comes to fighting acne. If you search around on the internet, for just about every food imaginable you can find at least one person claiming that it causes acne, and you can find at least one person claiming that they "cured" their acne by cutting (insert food here) out of their diet or by doing (insert weird facial cleansing technique here). So I wouldn't worry too much about milk, although if you want to give it a try go ahead.

Being in an anabolic state is bad for acne, I believe because of testosterone. And since eating above maintenance puts you in an anabolic state, bulking (and probably lifting in general) is bad for acne. Perhaps this is what Aaron meant by diet: eating under maintenance (i.e. cutting) is beneficial for acne. I've noticed that my complexion tends to be better when I eat less.

Also, being young(ish) is not good for it either, as I'm sure you know.

Here are some things I have found/heard to be good for fighting acne, in no particular order:

* The obvious: otc and prescription medications.
* Regular exercise, a.k.a. regular sweating. Just be sure to shower afterwards.
* Cleaning up your diet. In particular, eliminating chocolate, bad fats (trans and saturated fats), and processed sugars.
* Drinking enough water.
* DON'T BE STRESSED OUT! Stress aggravates acne.
* IMO, shaving (as in with a razor, not an electric shaver) is good for acne because it exfoliates your skin so you don't have excess dead skin. Just don't overdo it and shave off half your face.
* Don't overwash. Of course it depends on how oily your skin is, but washing your face once or twice a day should be enough.
* In the fats article linked to by Old and Grey in his "Building Muscle" thread, Udo Erasmus says that taking in plenty of good fats (EFAs) is good for your skin.
* Certain foods are supposed to be good for helping out your complexion. Although I'm sure it's not the only one, oats are all that come to mind at the moment.
* Take a multivitamin. I'm not sure if I've noticed a difference from it, but it can't hurt.

But most importantly, don't worry so much about it. This is truly an example where worrying only makes it worse. Besides, people's opinions of you aren't "acne-centric."

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ July 20 2005,6:48)]most of that advice is crap, ie "don't eat trans fat"
just dont rub oil on your face.
yeah I would heed the advice and not rub oil on your face! or eat trans fat - no matter what skin side effects it may or may not have, it isn't good for you

this topic has been beaten like a dead horse... and I still recommend drinking milk

Back