Milk dilemma

[xeno]Julios

Been successfully bulking while drinking 2.5 litres of milk a day. I'm lactose intolerant so i buy lactose free milk, which is really expensive - almost $5 canadian for 2 litres.
It's a pain to get lactose droplets that u dissolve in the milk beforehand since it takes a few hours to render the milk lactose free, and i'd need to stack the fridge with a lot of jugs of milk which is impractical.
Are there lactose pills that are effective if eaten while drinking milk? Considering i drink 8 glasses a day, would this be a waste of pills, since i'd need one with each meal?
I'd honestly rather replace milk with something else. I need something to gain those extra calories. I already eat a lot of rice and yoghurt as it is. I'd rather use a carb/protein shake as a last resort.
Any advice?

I personally drink very little milk myself.

Perhaps you could find some cheap protein powder or an MRP that you could mix with water or juice.

I imagine you've already tried this, but what about soy milk or other subs? You can get soy milk in powder form too for bulk...

What about Lactaid tablets? My husband is lactose intolerant and uses them-- they work well. If you can't get them in Canada, let me know and I'll send you a box.

thing is, if i'm going the milk route, it involves 8 glasses a day - so wouldn't i need 8 tablets a day? Wouldn't that be financially impractical? How do the tablets work - do they need to be consumed with each intake of milk? And thanks for the offer :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Techo @ Jan. 12 2004,8:52)]I imagine you've already tried this, but what about soy milk or other subs? You can get soy milk in powder form too for bulk...
hm that's not a bad idea - will look into it - cheers.

The cheapest I saw online was 15 US dollars plus shipping is around 23 US dollars for 100 tablets. That would be 23 cents a tablet x 8 tabs a day = $1.84 is your cost a day for Lactaid. You'd go thru 100 tabs in around 12 days.

The problem with Soy milk is finding one you like. Check out this taste test of milk alternatives.

Good luck!

Dear [xeno]Julios,

What about cheese?

As for lactose-free milk, would the UHT type be cheaper? Is it available?

Or you could make a yoghurt drink - avoid the milk in total. Blend plain or flavourerd yoghurt with skim cottage cheese and some water or fruit juice. Add more fruit, cocoa powder, ice-cream, vanilla essence, bailey's etc to modify flavour and boost calories. This should whip up a rather thick, protein-rich shake without having to add milk. Add enough water/juice only to dilute the shake to a drink-able consistency. You could add protein powder to this, but the skim cottage cheese does a good job in boosting protein content.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

mmm that's a great idea dianabol! I've never eaten cottage cheese before but am keen to start. I think i will try what you said. Cheese is also a good idea - i'll try to find a cheese that suits me to supplement a meal or 2, and save the yoghurt drink for another, and top the other meals with a single glass of milk. Should balance out :)

thanks for all the suggestions from everyone.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ([xeno]Julios @ Jan. 13 2004,12:45)]Cheese is also a good idea - i'll try to find a cheese that suits me to supplement a meal or 2.
What do you think about parmigiano reggiano (100g = 36g P - 26g F - 0g C - 378Cals) or grana padano (100g = 35.5g P - 25g F - 3.7g C - 382Cals)?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ghostrider @ Jan. 13 2004,4:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ([xeno]Julios @ Jan. 13 2004,12:45)]Cheese is also a good idea - i'll try to find a cheese that suits me to supplement a meal or 2.
What do you think about parmigiano reggiano (100g = 36g P - 26g F - 0g C - 378Cals) or grana padano (100g = 35.5g P - 25g F - 3.7g C - 382Cals)?
mm good stuff - any suggestions on a nice quick tasty way to eat these cheeses?

I'm also lactose intolerant. I drink the lactose-free milk (about C$4.65 or US$3.60 per 2 litres in my town). Also, the Astro Bio-best yoghurt seems to digest well, and you get those good bacteria with it. I use to use the Lactaid pills. I found I needed 2 - 3 pills for each dairy meal (milk, ice cream, and anything with cheese, such as lasagna and pizza). I drank soya beverage for a few years, but I switched to the lactose-free milk when it became easily available. I haven't tried cottage cheese in many years. I can't remember if it bothered me, but I do know I miss it. I laughed when I read another thread about eating or trying to eat cottage cheese. It's a wonderful addition to any meal. I sometimes try foods with dairy in them, knowing the potential consequences, and the taste is sometimes worth it.
tounge.gif

If you have success with the cottage cheese, please reply. I may start including it in my diet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ([xeno]Julios @ Jan. 13 2004,11:19)]mm good stuff - any suggestions on a nice quick tasty way to eat these cheeses?
Just eat it as is, it's delicious
thumbs-up.gif

There is a new product in the U.S. I am loving right now, Carb Countdown "dairy beverage". They do a great job of capturing the flavor of milk, but each cup contains like 12g protein, 3g carbs, and the fat level depends on whether you get whole, 2% or fat free.

http://www.hphood.com/products/products.detail.asp?id=479

I'm not sure how many of the carbs are lactose. Probably all of them. But it might still offer a good solution for you (at least 75% less lactose), plus you wouldn't need to drink as much to hit your daily protein requirements -- so the lactose reduction would be even greater in the end.

Thanks for the suggestion Jon - however remember I drank 2.5 litres of milk a day - about 1250 calories worth, and about 110 grams worth of protein. In order to match this with your proposal, i'd need to drink about 5 litres a day, which would be financially impractical.

Protein isn't a prob for me - i get tonnes from tuna, chicken, yoghurt, and eggs - it's the calories i need to top off my diet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ([xeno]Julios @ Jan. 14 2004,2:23)]Thanks for the suggestion Jon - however remember I drank 2.5 litres of milk a day - about 1250 calories worth, and about 110 grams worth of protein. In order to match this with your proposal, i'd need to drink about 5 litres a day, which would be financially impractical.
To match calories, yes, you are right.

13 almonds = 100cals

13 almonds after every meal (assuming you have 5 meals) = 500cals

taste good and little bulk.

Back