Minimal Volume Requirement for Maintaining Muscle

innermusic

Is there any credible research out there on: How much volume is required to maintain existing muscle mass. I've heard lots of anecdotal reports, ranging from 2x10 @75%RM to 1X5 @95%RM. Is there any research?

Context: For Programming/Periodization purposes. Program will emphasize a muscle group for a period of time, followed by a shift of emphasis to a different muscle group. Once we shift from emphasis mode (growth) to maintenance mode: What is required to maintain? How does this requirement change (does it?) if we adjust the diet from surplus to maintenance calories?

Not in young people but since old folks have a much harder time maintaining mass than younger I would suspect a younger person could get a way with less.

There was a study done a while back that looked at training and detraining in the eldery. The de-training period was one year and during this time the subjects performed resistance exercise once per week, either one set or three of 75% 1RM and maintained their strength from the training period.

I can't recall the exact study now or I would post it for your review.

Thanks Dan. But what I`m after is anything that deals with mainstream population - not obese, not diabetic, not elderly...

There is the common idea that you can reduce volume by 2/3 if you maintain intensity and frequency, but it's all anecdotal. Have you heard of this?

Back