mix protein in hot water

Yeah, I think it's fine. And it makes chocolate proteins mixed with water (like Bryan's) much more palatable to me.

I've been wondering if it might not actually be beneficial to mix protein with hot (or warm) water, at least post-workout. If you're looking to get protein digested as fast as possible (and you're not taking something pre-digested, like a hydrosylate), then you want the enzymes digesting the protein to work as fast as possible. Enzymes typically have a temperature range that they work best at. For enzymes in the human digestive tract, that temperature is almost certainly going to be body tempertaure (though I have no data to back this up). Therefore, drinking a cold protein drink is only going to slow down digestion. And not just because of of slower enzymes, the cold will also restrict blood flow in the stomach and possibly the small intestines, slowing everything down until your body heat warms it all up. A warm drink would not cause these problems, and could conceivably decrease the time it took to digest the protein and get the aminos into the muscles.

If we take this reasoning a little further, one could even predigest their protein drink by adding some enzymes (papain, bromelain, ?) to the drink and letting it sit for while. I wouldn't want to let a warm protein drink sit around too long, it might wind up becoming a Petri dish. But if you time it right, or throw it in the fridge after predigestion and then reheat it when you want to drink it, you might be able to make your own version of a rapidly absorbed hydrosylate.

Any thoughts?

Geoff

You're right. It's molecular collision theory: the more heat (molecular kinetic energy) the concoction possesses, the more likely the molecules are to collide with the appropriate enzymes and be broken down.

I would say, though, that the usefulness of that is a little dubious, seeing as whey protein is usually pretty fast-absorbing. Some would say so fast as to become of less value as an anabolic agent, since most would be converted to glucose.

-Calkid

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] seeing as whey protein is usually pretty fast-absorbing. Some would say so fast as to become of less value as an anabolic agent, since most would be converted to glucose.

That's an interesting point, Calkid. I was under the impression that although whey is absorbed quickly relative to other proteins, it still takes a while (an hour to peak). Although some gets in sooner, I would think it would be beneficial to increase the amount that gets in as soon as possible after consumption. Isn't this the reasoning behind the hydrosylates. Are they without value? I'm not being smug, I really don't know. Are they just another gimmick?

Also, as far as conversion of aminos to glucose, I thought that reaction was driven by excess aminos, like you would get at the 1 hour peak with whey. Wouldn't a little predigestion flatten out that peak a little and make the conversion less likely?

Geoff

If you look at the fast vs slow work of Borrie et al, it shows that whey (isolate this is) is relatively quickly oxidised when taken alone.
Post training, when taken with carbs it would raise amino acid uptake and provide a large amount of aminos to muscle. But if you also look at the work of Tipton et al, it shows that essential aminos up to around 6odd grams is all that is needed. So in theory once the essentials are provided up until the muscle has reached maximal uptake levels, the remainder will be burnt.

Enjoying a nice cup of hot cocoa protein drink is appealing, EXCEPT for the fact that immediately post-workout, I need desperately to cool down, not warm up. I'm overheated, and my cold drink is the only internal cooling I get. I suspect it balances out just fine.

I have my pre-WO whey protein in a cup of warm (not hot) light coffee. I put my creatine in there too. I think the WPI and creatine assimilate better in the warm coffee; and with vanilla WPI it has a flavored coffee feel to it. ;)

Back