My Diet Plan for Fat Loss

raging

Hey everyone, :)

Just joined the HST Forum, first wanted to say Hello to all of you - I'm about to start on my first HST Cycle, and will be sure to keep all of you updated on progress.

I weigh about 190 lbs, and have about 16-17% body fat. I wish to get this down to under 10%. I am going on a 12 -13 week diet, combined with two cycles of HST. My HST Lifting will be the usual 15,10,5,SD split on Mon-Wed-Fri, and I will perform HIIT and Low intensity cardio on all other days.

Please critique my diet (Please note that I am a vegetarian, and have a tendency to put on weight quite easily ) :
----------------------------
On Lifting Days :
1) 7: 00am - PreLift
1 Scoop Primer
1 cup Orange Juice
3 grams creatine
3 grams glutamine

2)8:20am - PostLift
1 Scoop Driver
1 cup Orange Juice
3 grams creatine
3 grams glutamine

3)10:30am
1 serving oatmeal
6 egg beaters

4)1:30pm
2 Scoops Optimum 100% Whey Protein Powder
1 cup skim milk
5 grams glutamine
1 spoon grounded flax seeds
1 apple

5)4:30pm
2 Boca Burgers (Soy Protein patties)
1 1/2 spoon olive oil
30 Grams carbs worth brown rice

6)7:30pm
2 Scoops PP
Water
Brocolli sticks

7)10:30pm
1 cup low fat cottage cheese
-----------------------------

On Cardio Days :
1)8:20am - After Cardio
2 Scoop Driver
1 cup skim milk
3 grams creatine
3 grams glutamine

2)10:30am
1 serving oatmeal
6 egg beaters

3)1:30pm
2 Scoops Optimum 100% Whey Protein Powder
1 cup skim milk
5 grams glutamine
1 apple

4)4:30pm
2 Boca Burgers (Soy Milk)
1 1/2 spoon olive oil
30 Grams carbs worth brown rice

5)7:30pm
2 Scoops PP
Water
Brocolli sticks

6)10:30pm
1 cup low fat cottage cheese
-------------------
Please note that the bulk of my carbs will be in the mornings, and I completely shut out carbs during the last two meals of the day, as I don't want to raise insulin levels too much before I go to sleep. Eating most of my carbs in the mornings after my workouts also helps in ensuring the carbs dont get stored as fat and instead go towards replenishing glycogen levels.

My Pre and Post workout meals on lifting days also include Orange Juice (a High GI Carb) so as to raise insulin levels for amino acid absorbtion. All other carbs are low GI so as to not affect insulin levels too much.

Though I haven't calculated the macro totals, I think it will be very close to : Protein - 220 g ; Carbs - 150 g ; Fat - 50 g ; Cals - a little less than 2000 Cals.

I will also monitor my body weight, and fat percentage every two days, and will make accomodations as I see fit. Any input shall be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and once again, I am glad to be part of HST !
- RagingR

Calories look about right, protein is about right and fats are lowish, but should be alright.

But one little niggle
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Eating most of my carbs in the mornings after my workouts also helps in ensuring the carbs dont get stored as fat and instead go towards replenishing glycogen levels.
Carbs will generally not be stored as fat. Excessive calories will cause fat storage (from the fat you eat) over the course of the day. The main time carbs will be converted to fat, is when you are eating BULK amounts (usually classified as >total energy requirements). When on a diet (negative calorie balance) this is pretty much inconsiquential.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Dec. 26 2002,11:14)]Calories look about right, protein is about right and fats are lowish, but should be alright.
But one little niggle
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Eating most of my carbs in the mornings after my workouts also helps in ensuring the carbs dont get stored as fat and instead go towards replenishing glycogen levels.
Carbs will generally not be stored as fat. Excessive calories will cause fat storage (from the fat you eat) over the course of the day. The main time carbs will be converted to fat, is when you are eating BULK amounts (usually classified as >total energy requirements). When on a diet (negative calorie balance) this is pretty much inconsiquential.
Aaron,

On a related note, do you think ithat's it's a good ideia, when on lowish carb diet 200-250 gr a day, to have most of them on training days right after you workout? Reasoning being that if you spread them troughout the day brain and liver will certainly override any glycogen replenishment needs your muscles might have, so having around 160-180 gr of carbs around your workout would ensure some of it goes to your muscles? Is this reasoning seriously flawed, or not?

In theory it shouldnt matter,
But after training glycogen will be low (which is a stimulus for its own resynthesis). Muscle takes priority over liver (to the extent of the liver making more through gluconeogenesis). Maximum glycogen synthesis happens for the first 12hours post training, so it would make sense to load carbs prior (to get insulin and blood glucose up), during and after for up to 12 hours, then return to normal levels of carb intake.

Ok. Thanks.
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (restless @ Dec. 27 2002,9:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Dec. 26 2002,11:14)]Calories look about right, protein is about right and fats are lowish, but should be alright.
But one little niggle
[b said:
Aaron,
On a related note, do you think ithat's it's a good ideia, when on lowish carb diet 200-250 gr a day, to have most of them on training days right after you workout? Reasoning being that if you spread them troughout the day brain and liver will certainly override any glycogen replenishment needs your muscles might have, so having around 160-180 gr of carbs around your workout would ensure some of it goes to your muscles? Is this reasoning seriously flawed, or not?
Thanks Aaron_F. I appreciate your help.
I have a couple questions though :
1) I have heard numerous times that it is not possible to gain muscle and loose fat at the same time, due to the fact that one requires amount of calories to be above maintenance, and the other requires to be below. When I am on the plan outlined above, eating the way I do, perforing HST style training, and doing cardio 3-4 days a week, can I actually expect to GAIN muscle while loosing fat ?
2) Will Creatine be of much help in my plan ? Is it good to take it when trying to cut down on the fat ?
3) I also plan on start taking in an ECA stack sometime in the middle of the 12 week cycle. Will this cause any problems due to the fact that I am also taking in creatine ?
Thanks again,
- Raging

1) Possibly. There are many factors involved, including age, length of training, loading, protein intake, amount of energy balance (how negative) yada yada yada. That being said, a number of people on this forum find that they can gain some muscle (not a lot) while cutting. I have found that myself, which is very interesting as I have been training for years.
Its possible, but not expect massive gains.

2) Creatine in general = good. Seeing as you are a vegetarian, its doubly good. While this will not help weight loss, it will not affect fat loss. Maintaining cellular volume while dieting is especially good. Try it.

3) while there has been some reseach that caffeine and creatine together doesnt work (a couple of papers I think), I have never seen it doing anything in the real world. Use both.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Dec. 27 2002,8:48)]1) Possibly. There are many factors involved, including age, length of training, loading, protein intake, amount of energy balance (how negative) yada yada yada. That being said, a number of people on this forum find that they can gain some muscle (not a lot) while cutting. I have found that myself, which is very interesting as I have been training for years.
Its possible, but not expect massive gains.
2) Creatine in general = good. Seeing as you are a vegetarian, its doubly good. While this will not help weight loss, it will not affect fat loss. Maintaining cellular volume while dieting is especially good. Try it.
3) while there has been some reseach that caffeine and creatine together doesnt work (a couple of papers I think), I have never seen it doing anything in the real world. Use both.
Thanks Aaron_F, I'll let you know how it goes. I have started on the nutrition plan as of Friday Dec. 27. I plan on starting HST training Jan. 6th 2003 (1 cycle).

- Raging

Back