My plan for the next 5 months

Fun_Aka

Hi everyone! I'm 19 years old, 157lbs, 5'10 ft with around 13%bf.
I'm an absolute beginner to working out. I'm planning a workout plan for the next 5 months(summer) ;)
I'm planning to do a 3 day Split for 3 months then do HST for the next 2 months...
I'm doing this coz the weights i'll be using for HST for 15 reps would be so little. I'm planning to build my strength before doing HST. What do you guys think?
Should i start doing HST immediately or should i do my split for a month or 2 months only? help pls :)
btw i'm playing basketball twice a week. :)
thanks!
here's a pic of me:

You want muscles my friend? HST.

I believe Bryan once said for beginners to lifting, to use HST like this. Week 1, 15rm's. Week 2, 10rm's. Week 3, 5rm's. He stated that for a beginner, your recovery and results will come so fast that you can get away with just using your rm's since they'll probably be increasing anyways. You'll have to verify this with him, but either way, i'd suggest some form of HST unless you are looking for strength training.

thanks... well i'll be waiting for the reply of Bryan.. I hope he can help me.. yes i want muscles !
tounge.gif

Absolute beginners will gain from any type of weight loaded exercise program. Why do a 3 day split when HST is, I believe, the best way to workout? You will gain more strength from an HST-style workout as you would from a normal 3 day split working each body part once per week.
thumbs-up.gif

Why would you use a typical 3 day split? Being a beginner/new to lifting, you will definitely gain from the offset (providing you eat correctly), however the differences b/t the 3-split and HST are still just as valid.

All those extra sets you throw onto the muscles in one session will not provide you with anymore growth than doing the 1-2 sets with progression that HST utilises.

The progression and initial cycles will be slightly different (as mentioned by Lance), but the principles remain intact.

thanks for the reply guys! ;) i'll go with HST then... can you give me a sample routine? and for example my 15rm for bb curl is only 30lbs (i don't know yet). it would be very light for the 1st two weeks, what could i do? since i would be training at home(i've got a bench, a barbell, and dumbbells), i'm planning to do dumbbell flyes instead of dips.

is there any technique to solve my problem coz the weight would be very light(i'm a beginner)?
thanks ;)

Bench, barbell, and dumbbells? That's all you need. :)

Only thing you could also have would be a nice power rack or something, but i digress. Work with what you have.

I'd suggest you do bench press then if you don't have a dip station. I really wouldn't suggest using fly's solely for chest, stick with the compounds. Here's a routine i'm about to start, just an example although there are countless ways to put a routine together. This was planned to be a short, simple, and basic routine that covers all my bases.

Squats
Deadlifts (shrugging at top)
Bench Press
Chins
Military Press
Curls (of some sort, i'm doing incline Hammers)
Tricep move (i'm doing Cable pushdowns)
Calf Raises
Crunches

That covers all the bases. If you don't have any type of powerrack or anything, then you'd have to make some changes. Chins would become bent over rows or one hand DB rows on the bench. I'm not sure if you can even squat without a rack, but deadlifts hit the legs okay for now.

BTW, from talking with Vicious lately, i'm under the impression that the best move for triceps would be skull crushers, overhead DB extensions, or something of that nature. It's just a little late for me now that i'm allready SD'ing for my next cycle with Cable Pushdowns.

Hope this helped somewhat, take care
Lance

thanks alot .. i appreciate it.. i'm not sure if i'll be doing deadlifts coz i have lower back pain for the moment. thanks alot! i would like to ask,
how would i solve the problem of lifting very light weigths since i dont have a big rm?

Peace

Almost everybody starts with light weights. Don't worry about it. Use what you can. Use strict form and don't "cheat" the weight up. That's a good way to get injured.

Back