Mysterious Increases and My Results

John Picard

Well, on Saturday I reached the two week point of feasting.
The ABCDE experiment did not go well this time but there are some interesting results. First off, after two weeks of "starvation", Jules pointed out that I lost too fast. I can see that he is right. I also went too long with the starvation plan as well. After about 8 days, I should have stopped. Looking at my weight, my metabolism must have slowed way down since I basically stopped losing weight day 8. At this point I had only lost 10 mm on my arms.
Unfortunately, right went I began to start my feast cycle and hopefully explode thru the roof, I got very sick and could not eat but about 800 cal a day for another full week. Very very bad. I ended up losing about another 10 mm on my arms. Now my biceps were down 20 mm (almost an inch, ugh! ) My strenght had plummeted as well. Way down!.

The bright side to all this. Well, there does appear to be some kind of super-compensation that takes place when I go from famine to feast. After only two weeks, I put all of the weight back on and my 20 mm is completely back again on my biceps. This after basically 3 back/bi workouts, 4 chest/tri wkouts, and 1 leg workout. The first week I could only get down 3000 cal/daily. My stomach shrank I think. The second week I put down 4000 cal/day. My strength is almost back but still not what it was (ie 40lb for curls and 175lb for bench pressing. Previously, it was 42.5lbs and 185lbs.)

I don't want to try the feast/famine cycle again however until I work back to my original poundages. Since I have been recovering quickly, I should be 100% by next week.
Picard out.

Glad to hear you're rebounding quickly. Keep up the good health. 'tis a shame you became ill just after the starvation phase. That compounded your problem, no doubt. I wonder if the excessive speed of weight loss contributed to the illness as well (compromised immune system)?
What did Jules mean that you lost weight too fast? Did you cut calories too drastically? Were you training heavy during this starvation cycle? Do you suppose it would have helped to hit a refeed on day 6 or 7? Am I a nosy son of a gun or what?
tounge.gif

Luck and Peace
Arcturus

Well, at the time my wife and both kids were coughing and sneezing all over the place so it was inevitable. Just bad timing.
Since I was attempting to understand how I gained 3/4in on my biceps in 3 weeks, I did the same thing this time as last. I did only 1 slight training day during the starvation phase.
The reason why Jules said that I lost too fast was because I cut calories down too much. I was eating about 1600 cal a day. I should have kept it more in line of about 1800 to 2000 cal a day.
I weighed this morning and I'm at 205. Up about 1 1/2 lbs from Saturday morning. The main thing is that I want to try stretching the muscles by overfeeding and lifting without becoming the Blubber Express. I think I cursed myself a couple of months back when I said I was going to make 220 by December. I have been stagnate pretty much ever since.
cry....whine...sniff...sniff....
sad.gif

Picard out.

800 calories? Ah yes, the gruel and flu diet, very effective for losing weight.
laugh.gif

Just for the heck of it, I might do the abcHST experiment for my next cycle. High calories. High frequency. DHST stretching. The whole caboodle. My hunch is, due to the training, I won't gain more than a few pounds of fat (if that) on a 1000 calorie surplus, so I won't need a drastic diet cycle to cut down. mikeynov's experience seems to corroborate that.

cheers,
Jules

Back