Need advice on EFAs/good fats/etc

Techo

On my continual quest with HST I have determined my diet is responsible for my lack of gains. Therefore I am trying to repair this critical aspect. I've ordered some protien (see 'Where to buy best tasting least expensive protien'), but my fats need to be reassessed...

I've read the Eating for size FAQ and realize that substances called EPAs, CLAs and DHA are a critical nutrition that I am lacking. While I've heard of Omega-3 fatty acids, I am unfamiliar with the terms I just mentioned as to what they are and the purpose they serve. Assuming EFA stands for Essential Fatty Acids (right?) does it just consist of Omega 3?

Next I'd like to know the best place to buy... Lowest price with highest quality are obviously top priority. Are all supplements the same so I could buy whats in my grocery store? Or do you recommend certain brands? If you buy them online, where do you suggest I go?

Finally, I'm a little confused on the total needed. Am I reading the article correctly in that I need 3-4 grams of pure Omega 3 and this is obtained only by eating fish? Do you recommend fish, fish oil sup. or flax seed oil? I could try to eat more fish (tuna, salmon and sardines) but I've got to admit that I am slightly concerned with mercury levels. Also if you guys have any more info to add to this discussion please feel free to do so!
worship.gif

Try to get approximately 1/3 of your fat intake from polyunsaturates. This includes all n-6/n-3 fats, flax fish etc.

The amount of fish oils that you take in depends.

For normal increases in health (heart disease risk) 1g is enough (or fatty fish 1-2x weekly)
For the role in nutrient partitioning, a more pharmacuetical level of intake is required. Between 6gm and 5% total calories from fat are required to make a difference. and how do you know if its working? you probably wont :)
So 6g is a good doseage to go from.

You can get this from fatty fish or from capsules. The advantage of fish is that you also get protein in the same 'package'

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Techo @ Dec. 02 2003,12:49)]On my continual quest with HST I have determined my diet is responsible for my lack of gains. Therefore I am trying to repair this critical aspect. I've ordered some protien (see 'Where to buy best tasting least expensive protien'), but my fats need to be reassessed...
I've read the Eating for size FAQ and realize that substances called EPAs, CLAs and DHA are a critical nutrition that I am lacking. While I've heard of Omega-3 fatty acids, I am unfamiliar with the terms I just mentioned as to what they are and the purpose they serve. Assuming EFA stands for Essential Fatty Acids (right?) does it just consist of Omega 3?
Next I'd like to know the best place to buy... Lowest price with highest quality are obviously top priority. Are all supplements the same so I could buy whats in my grocery store? Or do you recommend certain brands? If you buy them online, where do you suggest I go?
Finally, I'm a little confused on the total needed. Am I reading the article correctly in that I need 3-4 grams of pure Omega 3 and this is obtained only by eating fish? Do you recommend fish, fish oil sup. or flax seed oil? I could try to eat more fish (tuna, salmon and sardines) but I've got to admit that I am slightly concerned with mercury levels. Also if you guys have any more info to add to this discussion please feel free to do so!
worship.gif
if you are concerned with mercury levels look for a filtered fish oil. it might be more expensive.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Dec. 02 2003,7:25)]Try to get approximately 1/3 of your fat intake from polyunsaturates. This includes all n-6/n-3 fats, flax fish etc.
The amount of fish oils that you take in depends.
For normal increases in health (heart disease risk) 1g is enough (or fatty fish 1-2x weekly)
For the role in nutrient partitioning, a more pharmacuetical level of intake is required. Between 6gm and 5% total calories from fat are required to make a difference. and how do you know if its working? you probably wont :)
So 6g is a good doseage to go from.
You can get this from fatty fish or from capsules. The advantage of fish is that you also get protein in the same 'package'
Any decent research on the effect of fish oil on joint health? if so how much would you need to take?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stevie @ Dec. 06 2003,2:54)]Any decent research on the effect of fish oil on joint health? if so how much would you need to take?
From an anti-inflammatory standpoint?

if so, anywhere up around 13g/day (I think). But you also have to work to lower dietary intake of n-6 relatively low. Because if you raise both, your not going ot have the same effect.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I could get into it, but it is the holiday season.
Ive had plenty of discussions on it, (hello micmic
tounge.gif
) I still have my own views
happy.gif

I *think* the mercury level (assuming it is something to be worried about) varies from place to place, with southern areas typically lower.

I eat a 400g tin of south-atlantic pilchards every day - thats 80gs protein and 4gs omega-3 for 67p (uk) - miles cheaper than any other supermarket brand fish. the south atlantic is said to be 'cleaner' (by my mother) i havent bothered checking though.

When i used to take hemp oil supps i had a feeling of fluidity in my joints which i havent felt since. totally subjective i know, but it could point to omega-6 being a better candidate for joint health than omega-3's taken alone.

Back