Need workout plan

stryped

I am male, 170 lbs and 6 feet tall 34 years old. I am great shape in terms of cardio. I used to run alot although I have slacked off considerably. I am 13-14% bodyfat.

Problem is everyone comments how skinny I look. I want to keep running because of cardio benfits and the fact diabetes runs in my family. ALso, at one time 4 or so years ago I was up to 220 lbs and feelign terrible.

Anyway thinking of joining a gym and working out on my lunch hour. Maybe lifting for 30 mintes 3 days a week and on two days a week running on the treadmill or swimming at the gym. Also, every Saturday I run 4 miles outside. I know you are probably down on me for runnign so much but I feel better when I do and I dont want diabetes and want to get my body fat percentage down.

I dont want to "bulk up" but want a muscular Matthew Mchoney look. (You can laugh if you want).

Is this doable and what program do you recommend?

HST
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

<div>
(faz @ Nov. 27 2006,15:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">HST
cool.gif

biggrin.gif
</div>
How do I get started and will it do what I want ?

in the top right hand corner of this page next to forum it says HST click on that read it all then decide what exercises you want post them up and all the guys will help you out.
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Leg-press-machine
Leg extension
Bench-press
Bent-over row
Shoulder Shrug
Overhead Press
Pushdown Lat Machine
Bicep curl-Barbell
Tricep extension

This is a good place to start. I am limited to these excersizes since my gym can only do so much. The highest dumbell i have is a 20 and i need a 40 pounder. I am gonna sign of probably at Fitness 19 or something.
laugh.gif

From experience.......only newbs can build muscle mass without a surplus of calories. So you are kind messing up with the 4 miles on saterday routines, unless you are eating enough calories to support your muscle on saterday.

You should look into eating healthy and clean since you have diabetes in your family.(I do too and my entire dad's side of the family is fat.)

You should read into the concepts of building muscle mass because they will change your views of 4 mile cardio.

You should read into HIIT because that too will drastically change your ideas of cardio.

I am in taekwondo but I eat enough calories to bulk while I am on it. I agree that cardio is good but you have to consider how it affects muscle gain.

Use HST pre made plan...do a little searching on the site before you post something like this
biggrin.gif

If you still can't find the routine.

Read how to set up hst cycle.

And stick with compound movements

Yes, stick with compounds, alternate A&amp;B workouts:

A: full ROM squats, bench, pendlay rows, standing OH press;
B: conventional deadlifts, dips, chins, standing OH press

<div>
(stryped @ Nov. 27 2006,14:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am male, 170 lbs and 6 feet tall 34 years old. I am great shape in terms of cardio. I used to run alot although I have slacked off considerably. I am 13-14% bodyfat.

Problem is everyone comments how skinny I look. I want to keep running because of cardio benfits and the fact diabetes runs in my family. ALso, at one time 4 or so years ago I was up to 220 lbs and feelign terrible.

Anyway thinking of joining a gym and working out on my lunch hour. Maybe lifting for 30 mintes 3 days a week and on two days a week running on the treadmill or swimming at the gym. Also, every Saturday I run 4 miles outside. I know you are probably down on me for runnign so much but I feel better when I do and I dont want diabetes and want to get my body fat percentage down.

I dont want to &quot;bulk up&quot; but want a muscular Matthew Mchoney look. (You can laugh if you want).

Is this doable and what program do you recommend?</div>
my suggestion

30 minutes 3 days a week...

do the hst progression stuff, and do 2 sets of the following:
bench
deadlift once per week/seated rows twice per week
pull ups
squat

As long as you keep running and don't go heavy on your diet you don't have to worry about bulking up. Main reason being is that you won't get strong enough to lift really heavy weights. Congratulations on your weight loss, keep running and continue to look great

Back