Newb needs help?!

Mont

Hi everyone!

First of all im new to the site and would like to say hello to everyone here, my names scott mont im from ellesmere port (just outside liverpool,uk). Im almost 21 and have been lifting since i was 16. not to sure on height/weight at this time but will update shortly.

Anyway ive been doing a typical 3x week back/bi, chest/tri & delt/legs routine but i am oing to convert to HST  
smile.gif
! I have a few questions and wondered if you guys could help me out.

Do i only include iso's for bi's n tri's etc. in the 10's & 5's and use only 12 compounds for the 15's? Do you use 1x15, 2x10 & 3x5? Why do people say to switch between deads and squats? I thought deads were for back and squats are for legs? And finally I struggle with chin ups so are pulldowns ok until i can do chin ups? also, which rows are better Bent Over Barbell or T-Bar?

Any help from you guys is appreciated as i am really excited about using HST, Thanks again, Mont.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hi everyone!</div>
Hi Scott and welcome.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i am oing to convert to HST</div>
Good man.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Do i only include iso's for bi's n tri's etc. in the 10's &amp; 5's</div>

if you must

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">and use only 12 compounds for the 15's? </div>
what?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Do you use 1x15, 2x10 &amp; 3x5? </div>
no problem

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Why do people say to switch between deads and squats? </div>

so that they're either squatting or deadlifting twice a week.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I thought deads were for back and squats are for legs?</div>
deads are for making everything more manly.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">And finally I struggle with chin ups so are pulldowns ok until i can do chin ups? </div>
sure.  I suck at chins too.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">also, which rows are better Bent Over Barbell or T-Bar?</div>
bent rows will work more of your body.  doesn't mean they're better.  cleans are better.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks again, Mont</div>
keep a log mang

OK Thanks alot fearfactory! Ye ill keep a log and keep ya updated on my progress. If i post up my workout could you critic it for me please mate? Always better to get advice From experienced lifters, Thanks, Mont

<div>
(Mont @ Aug. 19 2008,5:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">OK Thanks alot fearfactory! Ye ill keep a log and keep ya updated on my progress. If i post up my workout could you critic it for me please mate? Always better to get advice From experienced lifters, Thanks, Mont</div>
absolutely would critique your workout.

but...I'm only on my second year of consistent lifting. I'm not really the most experienced fella around. Do my best to act like it though!

<div>
(fearfactory @ Aug. 19 2008,6:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Mont @ Aug. 19 2008,5:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">OK Thanks alot fearfactory! Ye ill keep a log and keep ya updated on my progress. If i post up my workout could you critic it for me please mate? Always better to get advice From experienced lifters, Thanks, Mont</div>
absolutely would critique your workout.

but...I'm only on my second year of consistent lifting.  I'm not really the most experienced fella around.  Do my best to act like it though!</div>
Haha cheers mate, ill upload workout shortly, thanks alot for your help, mont.

Workout A:

Barbell Squats
Leg Press
Weighted Chin Ups
Bench Press
Millitary Press
Side Laterals
Barbell Curls
Barbell Wrist Curls
Skull Crushers
Calf Raise
Weighted Crunches

Workout B:

Deadlifts
Leg Press
Rows
Bench Press
Millitary Press
Side Laterals
Barbell Curls
Reverse Barbell Curls
Skull Crushers
Calf Raise
Hanging Leg Raise

Monday (Day 1) - Workout A
Wednesday (Day 2) - Workout B
Friday (Day 3) - Workout A
Monday (Day 4) - Workout B
Wednesday (Day 5) - Workout A
Friday (Day 6) - Workout B

Weeks 1-2 - 1 Set 15 Repetitions
Weeks 3-4 - 2 Sets 10 Repetitions
Weeks 5-6 - 3 Sets 5 Repetitions
Weeks 7-8 - Continuation of 3 Sets 5 Repetitions, Drop Sets or Negatives
9 Days Strategic Deconditioning

make sure that when you start feeling beaten up; drop accessory lifts before your compounds suffer.

In other words, don't let squats suffer so that you can leg press.

I'm surprised that you're benching 3x weekly.  Will you be able to recover properly?   with 5 years under your belt, I'm sure familiar w/ what you're doing.  
same goes here w/ military. I choose to OHP on Weds and bench press Mon &amp; Fri as these lifts interfere w/ one another (my opinion).  otherwise my ability to lift proper weight and recover is compromised.

mikeynov loves his leg presses, so I'll refrain from ribbing you for doing them.

where do you fall on these charts?  http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm  I ask out of concern for your ability to recover.  11 lifts is quite a few (my opinion).

looks like your bases are covered though... deads, chins, rows, bench, OHP, and squats are all check

I only bench 3x week because i struggle on dips (just lyk chins), what exercise would you recommend instead of bench press? To be honest your probably right about recovery, ive never had to set up my own workouts before so im struggling in that department. I was going to use the basic vanilla programme on this site but there's no deadlifts? and squats only got 1 set whilst stiff leg deads got 2 sets 3x week?

having said that, I think you'd be well served with this:

A
Barbell Squats
Bench Press                
Rows                                        

B
Deadlifts
Pull Ups/Chins
Standing Overhead Press

at the end of the workout, if you've got the gas, do your accessories.  especially abs.  

• Progressive load
• Training volume
• Training frequency
• Conditioning (Repeated Bout effect)/Strategic Deconditioning

^ make sure you're familiar w/ these principles

<div>
(fearfactory @ Aug. 19 2008,8:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think you'd be well served with this:

A
Barbell Squats
Bench Press
Rows

B
Deadlifts
Pull Ups/Chins
Standing Overhead Press</div>
Bingo!

And check out the Simplify and Win thread as well.

Especially when beginning HST, you'll find that compounds serve you well. Perhaps after a few cycles you may want to add in some isos to meet the needs of any lagging body parts.

wow thanks for all the information guys! im going to go with the routine you listed but going to add a few iso's bcz arms need abit of work
sad.gif
Anyway thanks alot ladsits greatly appreciated! This site is ''the best'' ive been on!

ryt guys ive read through the FAQ and took in all your comments, as i said im going to use the routine listed by fearfactory (thanks mate) but ive decided to add a few iso's aswell. Anyway here's what ive come up with:
Workout A
Barbell Squats
Bench Press
Barbell Rows
Bicep Curls
Barbell Wrist Curl
Skull Crushers
Calf Raise
Crunches

Workout B
Deadlifts
Chin Ups
Standing Overhead Press
Bicep Curls
Reverse Barbell Curls
Skull Crushers
Calf Raise
Crunches

8 exercises per workout, sets: 1x15, 2x10, 3x5 (Is 12, 8, 4-6 better)?
I included ''Barbell Wrist Curls'' &amp; ''Reverse Barbell Curls'' for my forearms because i feel they need extra work. This look ok to you guys? Thanks, mont.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">good luck mont, let us know how you get on. </div>
Cheers mate will post log when i start, thanks alot for your input mate you've been a big help

<div>
(Mont @ Aug. 19 2008,5:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hi everyone!

First of all im new to the site and would like to say hello to everyone here, my names scott mont im from ellesmere port (just outside liverpool,uk). Im almost 21 and have been lifting since i was 16. not to sure on height/weight at this time but will update shortly.

Anyway ive been doing a typical 3x week back/bi, chest/tri &amp; delt/legs routine but i am oing to convert to HST  
smile.gif
! I have a few questions and wondered if you guys could help me out.

Do i only include iso's for bi's n tri's etc. in the 10's &amp; 5's and use only 12 compounds for the 15's? Do you use 1x15, 2x10 &amp; 3x5? Why do people say to switch between deads and squats? I thought deads were for back and squats are for legs? And finally I struggle with chin ups so are pulldowns ok until i can do chin ups? also, which rows are better Bent Over Barbell or T-Bar?

Any help from you guys is appreciated as i am really excited about using HST, Thanks again, Mont.</div>
First off welcome Mont. I am a new poster here but have been reading these forums for a year or more as I researched HST as well as other new protocols to me. I really like the good solid principles this routine is based upon. My recent lifts have been using volume / failure training for the last two years. They were productive in their own right but not so much in the strength department. At least not like my old power lifting days. Im too old for that level of lifting now. I still lift fairly heavy but I have let all of my lifts go down a considerable amount and opted for less explosive / power training methods. It has been fun and educational for sure. I tried volume / failure training for so long to assist my current partner who has more of a body building agenda than a power lifting agenda. He made great progress on it in size, quality and strength. Me, not so much in strength but I lost quite a bit of weight and gained some interesting seperation of muscle heads and the like for my effort. HST is more like what I am used to in the 5X5 routines I used as a staple when I PLed. So we are giving it a go together then. This is my first week so no real opinion of HST as of yet.

Why switch between deads and squats? Well those two lifts (and a few others) are the most productive lifts ever devised for gaining mass and power. They both use so many muscles in the execution and the intense effort tends to result in an increased hormone release that spills over into helping you grow the other muscles not directly hit by the lifts. Both work the legs and back but IMO the squats are more focused on the legs where as the deadlift is more focused on the back. This goes for many of the olympic lifts as well, Cleans, Snatches, Clean and Jerk...etc. They are all great and I would encourage anybody to learn to do them correctly and regularly include them in their own routines. Plus these two particular tend to compliment each other very nicely. Meaning that some of the progress made in each respective lift physically and neurologically will spill over into the other lift. Plus you get variety. Eh a win win.

I too opted for many isolation exercises in my routine. I am a long time trainer (25 plus years now) and I feel as though I will be able to handle the volume. Especially coming right out of a volume routine as I have. If it gets to be too much later in the cycle (10s, 5s) then I will begin to remove isolation work as indicated by fearfactory in his suggestion. This is where instinct and listening to your body comes into play. Look for the overtraining signs early. Restless sleep, eye twitch, chronic fatigue etc. And monitor closely your performance. You should gain strength over the course of the meso cycle. If you appear to be losing some then that is another good sign you are doing too much and adjust. My first choices will be to remove isolation work at the torso level and then move to the extremities if I need to reduce volume further. Hopefully I wont need to d othat. I really like doing some of those lifts. Heh

I use both the BB Row and T-Bar row. I frequently alternate the two and swap hand positions on the BB row. Pronated, supinated, grip width etc. I even do a variation of the BB row for rhomboids with my hands all the way out to the collars. So the BB row wins in the variation department but both are very productive lifts. I feel as though I get a greater range of motion from the BB rows compared to T-bar rows. The wider hand positioning of BB rows seems to activate my rhomboids and deltoids a little more as well. I lift slightly higher weight in the T-bar rows. I seem to get more lower lat activation from the T-bar rows. Both have merits and I would suggest perhaps alternating each macro cycle or even in an A/B meso cycle. Again a little variety to keep you interested never really hurt as long as you are choosing good productive lifts.

(BTW, fearfactory has made several really good posts on here and appears to have a good experience base even if he only has been at it a few years. Plus he is very encouraging in his words. Like so many of the helpful people on this forum, give his words some consideration.)

Back