nutrition around workout

robefc

I have 30g of whey and 60g of maltodextrin half an hour before I work out and straight afterwards (and a solid meal an hour later).

Generally the 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein seems to be approved of (from research), what I don't understand is why a lot of people seem to have a 1:1 ratio of whey to carbs before working out - usually somwehere in the region of 20-30 grams each. I've seen it a lot on this message board and other sites.

I would have thought that more carbs reduces the drag on glycogen stores and supplies more energy to the muscles, all good things. Its generally accepted that loads of carbs are needed after a woprk out to replace glycogen stores so surely it would make sense to have more carbs befoe a work out?

Am I missing something?

cheers

rob

I'm no expert, but I understand it to be related to your goals: cutting vs. bulking. If you want to bulk at all costs, by all means carb up prior. If you strive for leaner gains, delaying the carbs helps prevent fat storage.

2:10 carbs to protien doesnt relaly matter, its more of a matter of supplying adequate essential aminos to maximally stimulate protien synthesis (~6g works as good as, as good as 40g whey from memory)
and the carbs are primarily to raise insulin, and replace what you burnt during the training session. So during the 15's you can have more, and during the 5s you could have less.
Overall fat balance is determined from days/weeks worth of food intake, a carb meal around training is going to make 3/5ths of no difference.

Thanks for your responses

First off I'm not really looking to bulk or cut massively. I'm hoping to gain a bit of muscle whilst reducing body fat (yes I know its hard) but I'm leaning towards gaining the muscle as a priority.

However, if I was cutting I wouldn't be concerned with burning fat during my weights workout, I'd want to make sure I had sufficient carbs to put in a really good workout and would be looking at total carb intake reduction to help me lose fat - which brings me nicely on to aaron's point.

I realise that its total calorie intake that is important as opposed to how much is consumed before a workout for total body weight increase/decrease. I do think, though, that nutrition around the workout is very important to get maximum benefit from the workout. It seems to me that the pre-workout shake is more important than the post one in that it provides carbs and protein throughout the workout and immediately afterwards. Glycogen can be replaced and amino acids are available to be taken up. However fast a post-workout shake is absorbed it will still take some time for the nutrients to be available to the body. Therefore it still puzzles me that lower amounts of carbs (and in some cases protein) are often recomemnded pre-workout compared to post-workout.

Personally, I have the same amount of protein/carbs pre as I do post, well thats the plan anyway. I just make one shake and split it.
You get some people who get blood sugar problems with a preshake, so that may be the reason for hte lower carbs. But I never have, adn teh people I have found who suffer from this are few and far between.

That's basically what I do.

Out of interest can you tell me how much you do take pre and post, also how much you weight and whether you're trying to bulk/cut? thanks

Varies, at the moment it varies a lot due to an experiment i am doing.
But normally, I would have ~30g whey, with a cup of nf milk and approximately 30g dextrose. Thats total

When bulking I double the dextrose.

But it varies

do u have milk before w/o too?
I would like to replace water with milk in pre(1/2 hour before) because whey+water is really disgusting to me but I fear that I wont digest milk in half an hour.
An alternative would be to have milk+milk proteins 1 hour before w/o (MAYBE ADDING ALSO SOME oat) but maybe that would be less effective than whey 1/2 hour before.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (boggy @ June 17 2003,12:15)]do u have milk before w/o too?
I would like to replace water with milk in pre(1/2 hour before) because whey+water is really disgusting to me but I fear that I wont digest milk in half an hour.
An alternative would be to have milk+milk proteins 1 hour before w/o (MAYBE ADDING ALSO SOME oat) but maybe that would be less effective than whey 1/2 hour before.
Hmmm, really you want a quick digesting protein, casein (the main protein in milk) is very slowly digested.

Which whey do you use? most don't taste too bad, especially when mixed with maltodextrin or dextrose, mine is actually unflavoured so if I can stomach that....
butbut.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ June 16 2003,6:32)]Varies, at the moment it varies a lot due to an experiment i am doing.
But normally, I would have ~30g whey, with a cup of nf milk and approximately 30g dextrose. Thats total
When bulking I double the dextrose.
But it varies
How much does 30g amount to in teaspoons or tablespoons? Or do you use a scoop from your protein supp?

Stupid question, I know, but I can never figure out a convenient and accurate way of converting grams measurements to tsp/tbsp, which is what I use to measure.

I use a scoop but surely the easiest way is to measure out spoonfuls on a scale and find out how much equates to 30g or whatever?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (boggy @ June 18 2003,1:15)]do u have milk before w/o too?
Some of the milk should (no data) digest before the 1/2 hour, but I have only a small amount before and after (1/2c) with about 15g whey, so I am getting a 'fast' protein with a mixed protein.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]An alternative would be to have milk+milk proteins 1 hour before w/o (MAYBE ADDING ALSO SOME oat) but maybe that would be less effective than whey 1/2 hour before.
If it suits you better, give it a go. The most important thing is to get some food prior to training. If you are eating say 2hours out with a large protein/carb meal you will still have aminos being delivered from the gut, and if it was a low GI carb, there should be still some (small amount) of glucose comming in. HAving a milk protein about 1hours out should be fine, and then basically trying to get some dextrose 10-30mins out from training, or if you would like, take in a dilute carb solution during training (~6% carbs ie gatorade/powerade)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jsraaf @ June 18 2003,4:12)]How much does 30g amount to in teaspoons or tablespoons? Or do you use a scoop from your protein supp?
Stupid question, I know, but I can never figure out a convenient and accurate way of converting grams measurements to tsp/tbsp, which is what I use to measure.
Scoop, I have checked it on electronic scale tho.
Im too lazy to weigh it all the time.

Back