Olympic plate diameter

Bulldog

Does anyone know what the standard diameter of a large olympic plate is? I'm curious because I think my 45lb plates are larger in diameter than most I have seen. Which means that I'm pulling my deadlifts from a slightly higher starting position. Not a big deal but I'm ciruous how high the bar is from the ground in an olympic lifting meet.

The truth is you are just really short, so those plates look gigantic to you when you set up to pull.
wink.gif
Actually being short could be an advantage since there is less distance to pull to lockout!
* picture bulldog walks up to barbell and the bar is already at waist level resting on the floor.
laugh.gif

j.k.

Interesting that you should ask this. It made a penny drop for me.

I've been deadlifting using those octagonal, no-rolling plates as there are a lot of them where I train. I've never liked the fact that I can't roll the bar towards me during set-up. So last Friday I mixed in some standard York plates to put 180kgs on the bar. I lifted it much better than the previous week when it was lighter. It's only just dawned on me that I was pulling from about an inch higher due to the round plates. It certainly felt easier than I expected.

Definitely something to watch out for but also a good way to train for a PR in a standard height pull. IMO that extra inch lower makes the lift noticeably tougher.

<div>
(Lol @ Mar. 05 2007,20:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">IMO that extra inch lower makes the lift noticeably tougher.</div>
It sure does!

Some guys train on blocks, but I wouldn't. Too risky for the back. I'd rather stay in form and just add weight. I'm havin' enough trouble gettin' down there as it is!

Tried an overhead squat today, and can't get the bar behind my head when holding it up there...the rotator cuffs again. I'll get it a few thousand stretches from now.

Back