Optimizing Your Caloric Intake

Something I will be paying more attention to come March...

Glycemic Index
Low GI foods do not spike blood glucose or insulin levels as much as the High GI foods. Increased presence of the hormone insulin promotes energy storage (adipose tissue). Diets with low GI foods have been founded to decrease inflammation, a key factor that wards off disease, illness, and improved the mind and body. The great thing about finding the edge in fat loss and health with the GI is that you do not have to sacrifice carbohydrates. The glycemic index is about the quality of the carbohydrates, not the quantity.

I am just starting to get back into the GI arena, so if anyone has any better input, advice or studies to provide then that would be great!

Another method of optimizing your diet (usually for cutting purposes) is fasting, specifically Intermittent Fasting. I have dropped almost 10 lbs in 2 months following the same diet I did before. One key note about my personal health: stress lowered in this period which can attribute to my sudden ability to shed fat thanks to reduced cortisol levels.

I found IF helped to hold off hunger pangs resulting in a decreased caloric intake. One side effect, although I am not clear it is due to IF, was gas pains for the last three weeks of practicing IF. In these three weeks, my average fast was over 15.5 hours a day.

Dan Moore has been doing a lot of research on fasting. A lot of discussion about IF and fasting in general has gone under way in this related thread.

could possibly be your fiber intake.
it may not have changed much from what you were doing before IF but since your intake is more "compressed" it will def. have an effect.

since your keeping a food log as well and the problem only showed up in the last 3 weeks you should be able to identify what is new to your diet to cause the problem.

Back