Out-of-date creatine's effects on kidneys

Ruhl

You know about how creatine puts a strain on the kidneys? I'm not saying it wrecks them, I'm just saying it increases the kidneys' workload.

Would out-of-date creatine that no longer worked, still put the same amount of stress on the kidneys as brand new creatine?

I'm wondering because my creatine is probably out-of-date and I do not know whether I should throw it out, or take it anyway because if it no longer works, then it won't harm my kidneys anyway.

Hi Ruhl,

I think you might be interested in reading some of the article on creatine in the Articles section. There you will find summaries and discussion of the relevant research on creatine. I'm not sure what study you read that said creatine strains the kidneys, but the creatine safety studies have not shown any effects even after years of use.

And, to answer your question, no, expired creatine won't hurt your kidneys. Now, if the creatine was bad (impure) in the first place it won't do any part of your body any good, but it still shouldn't be any worse expired.

Back