Pavel Tsatsouline

Yeah

I do every so now and then.

Looks like a major ass kicker, strength reviews look good, loves kettle bells (well he's Russian, go figure
wink.gif
).

His strength information is cool, I am not prepared to buy his books though, mainly because I don't have a lot of $$$ to throw away and besides there are tons of free info specially if you hang around the HST site.

But it could be worth it, his background seem to be in the overall fitness area, military preping, combat conditioning.

I have not done any serious reviews though, I get e-mails fropm his site (dragon door), if that means anything!
wink.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Apr. 25 2007,06:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah

I do every so now and then.

Looks like a major ass kicker, strength reviews look good, loves kettle bells (well he's Russian, go figure
wink.gif
).

His strength information is cool, I am not prepared to buy his books though, mainly because I don't have a lot of $$$ to throw away and besides there are tons of free info specially if you hang around the HST site.

But it could be worth it, his background seem to be in the overall fitness area, military preping, combat conditioning.

I have not done any serious reviews though, I get e-mails fropm his site (dragon door), if that means anything!
wink.gif
</div>
What really interests me about him are his claims that you can get stronger while losing weight.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/losing_fat_gaining_strength.htm

Ok, a darn long read, but to mee it makes some sense, very close to the g-flux theory of Berardi's.

I also like the fact that he promotes food rather than supllements and has some interesting supplements to cut out the &quot;downers&quot; of dieting.

All in all, not much diffrent from what good ol'Bryan promotes along with many of us, during cutting, stick to the heavies, drop your frequency and volume some but keep the intensity there!

The rest you know dran well better than I do!

Yeah, Pavel knows his s..t I'll give him that maybe one day I'lkl end up buying his book, I've always enjoyed the hard types whop know what they are talking about!

<div>
(Fausto @ Apr. 30 2007,10:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Ok, a darn long read, but to mee it makes some sense, very close to the g-flux theory of Berardi's.</div>
The bolded part is contradictory:&quot;makes sense&quot; excludes from the start &quot;the G-flux theory of Berardi&quot;
wink.gif

About Pavel:yes he knows his stuff, but he`s a huge whore(and has always been one). The Russians didn`t have cutting edge secrets...the ones that existed have been shared a long time ago. Pavel or anybody can`t really give you what the Russians did have:an incredible selection program for athletes, that created(and still creates) excellent beasts and a certain mindset that`s fairly hard to understand for those not effectively living in Russia/an Eastern Bloc country. Pavel simply pimps mostly basic/bullshit/well known stuff as if it`s the second coming. It`s not. And it`s not worth your money IMHO(I have some of his stuff and I`m not really impressed-good, not great, certainly not worth it).

I agree and Power to the People is full of basic information that I would certainly anticipate that Steve already knows and Fausto as well.
For a complete newb who wants to learn how to do floor presses or the correct grip
rock.gif
on BB curls then I would say sure but other than that it's useless.

Jonesy wrote:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What really interests me about him are his claims that you can get stronger while losing weight.</div>

Heck, Jonesy, I could've told you that!
laugh.gif

Over the last year, I've dropped close to 30 pounds, while at the same time increased all my major lifts, big time. I'm benching, deadlifting &amp; squatting more weight now than I did when I was 190...much more. For me, the key has been to limit volume, limit carb intake, do 3 to 4 times/week of static cardio, and, of course, always striving for PRs on every session.

<div>
(Slapshotz @ Apr. 30 2007,17:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Jonesy wrote:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What really interests me about him are his claims that you can get stronger while losing weight.</div>  

Heck, Jonesy, I could've told you that!
laugh.gif

Over the last year, I've dropped close to 30 pounds, while at the same time increased all my major lifts, big time.  I'm benching, deadlifting &amp; squatting more weight now than I did when I was 190...much more.  For me, the key has been to limit volume, limit carb intake, do 3 to 4 times/week of static cardio, and, of course, always striving for PRs on every session.</div>
lol

Slaps, when I was pulling just a tad over 500 in the deadlift I experienced the same thing, but things change a lot once you get close to your genetic potential.

Thanks for all responses. Guess I'll just stick with this 3 set/3 reps stuff part of advanced 5x5 until competition.

I was so hungry all the time on that sheiko routine that I'm about 282 right now, and want to be under 275 by June without losing strength. Shouldn't be a problem though.

I have never read anything by Pavel. But I do have a copy of &quot;Relax into Stretch&quot; by Pavel, although I haven't read it yet. My flexability is terrible so I though it might be worth reading.

Jonesy wrote:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Slaps, when I was pulling just a tad over 500 in the deadlift I experienced the same thing, but things change a lot once you get close to your genetic potential.</div>

I'll tell ya, Jonesy, I can really relate. I think I'm at about my genetic max, especially for my weight, which is why I'm gonna switch things up real soon once I get over this horrid upper respiratory thingy.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Strength training expert Dr. Ken Leistner once observed that a body molded with a number of isolation exercises like leg extensions or triceps kickbacks looked like ‘a collection of bodyparts’.</div>

Gotta love this guy, this fits in with what I have learn't, besides being funny.
laugh.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Even if you favor the Frankenstein look, you should avoid one-joint exercises. They are inefficient, they negatively affect your athletic performance, and make you more injury prone.</div>

Precisely what we preach!
wink.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Movements that involve more than one joint form a kinetic chain. It is a natural way for your body to perform. When you push your car out of a ditch you do not try to isolate your quads and limit the movement to your knee joint. No, your quads, hamstrings, glutes, and calves work as a team and many joints are involved: the ankles, the knees, and the hips.</div>

Exactly! Go Comrade!
biggrin.gif

God kills whatever cute animal is trendy whenever some dude comes up with the hardcore this or that is for pussies(be it squats, compounds, isos, you name it). Pavel makes no exception. They`re all friggin tools. There`s a place for kickbacks, leg curls, leg extensions etc. Use them when they should be used. This hardcore macho:must do negative deads to grow is pretty useless, IMHO. Because a wise man uses everything available to him.

<div>
(Fausto @ May 02 2007,10:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Strength training expert Dr. Ken Leistner once observed that a body molded with a number of isolation exercises like leg extensions or triceps kickbacks looked like ‘a collection of bodyparts’.</div>

Gotta love this guy, this fits in with what I have learn't, besides being funny.
laugh.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Even if you favor the Frankenstein look, you should avoid one-joint exercises. They are inefficient, they negatively affect your athletic performance, and make you more injury prone.</div>

Precisely what we preach!
wink.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Movements that involve more than one joint form a kinetic chain. It is a natural way for your body to perform. When you push your car out of a ditch you do not try to isolate your quads and limit the movement to your knee joint. No, your quads, hamstrings, glutes, and calves work as a team and many joints are involved: the ankles, the knees, and the hips.</div>

Exactly! Go Comrade!
biggrin.gif
</div>
Fausto, just remember that these are comments based on performance not BB.

The Frankenstein look is BB today.

I agree with Morg, there is a place for everything.

To everything Turn Turn Turn, there is a season Turn Turn Turn.

Damn, I forgot to put on my rose colored sunglasses while I sang that, blasphemy
cool.gif

I've got to agree that Pavel provides simple useful information and that nothing he says is revolutionary.

I've skimmed through PTTP and Super Joints - his writing and presentation style is terrible and hard to read.

Although saying that, his hard to read books with simple basic information is actually better than average within the fitness industry.

Whilst I agree, I never found much use for kickbacks....come on!

And I started believing in compounds only with minimal isos since I tried it, it is that simple.

As for the franke look, I rest my case, some BBers of today rellay look like a bunch of body parts put together...so he has apoint and I agree with some.

Not inovative...I never said that...we have HST for that and MaxStim
cool.gif

I quite like the &quot;condom filled with walnuts&quot; similie... just about sums up most Pro bodybuilders  
laugh.gif

As regards Pavel (&amp; Fury et al.) - I've downloaded most of his/their stuff and to be honest like earlier comments I've found the info to be basic, and more or less available on the net for free. I didn't &amp; wouldn't pay for it, now Ross Enamaits' stuff is a different matter altogether - and is worth it for Boxers. (But I still wouldn't pay for it)
wink.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ May 03 2007,04:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Whilst I agree, I never found much use for kickbacks....come on!</div>
Really?What about rehab?Fixing imbalances?As I said, they`re all tools, and save for something obviously blatantly stupid(and there are some contorted exercises out there that, surprisingly, are rather recent additions, not things that`ve been used for ages
wink.gif
) at some point or another they have their uses. Keep an open mind.

Morgoth

I do, I'm way open minded, my opinion is based on one thing, I have tried them and compared to dips where I can load quite a bit, they suck! Plus they never put mass on my triceps, but dips and french curls did!

I just believe that compounds (some minimal use of isolations is always necessary) are much more reality based than isolations as they don't often get used in real life (motion wise that is), whereas many compounds do imitate some of real life's motions.

But then again what's my opinion worth anyway? It's HST we worried about isn't it?
wink.gif

wink.gif
Have I said anything to the contrary?But compounds alone aren`t always the answer...after a certain point. Use everything available, in the best way possible, that should be ones motto, IMHO.

Back