Phelps eats 12,000 calories/day

Is that his regular intake or it is a load for maximum results in the olympics? I am not sure he'd be able to keep lean if that was his regular training intake since I can't see how he can consume around 9000 calories a day training to stay around maintenance.

The sheer amount of training that he does and the training medium that he is in requires rediculous amounts of energy. Eating big is like anything else... you gotta train for it. It helps to eat very "dirty" too.

Considering he swims for 8 hours per day that's about 5000 calories, assuming a BMR of ~3000 calories he's still 4000 calories above that. Per day. Edit: Well, maybe the intensity of the swim sessions might significantly raise that figure.

I remember hearing dan duchaine quoted as advocating caloric intake of 10000 plus per day while using HGH...just saying:)

If he is natural though I'm impressed.

<div>
(beingisbeing @ Aug. 14 2008,11:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">He's on drugs guys... seriously</div>
Why do you presume he is taking drugs?

All he does it eat, sleep and train. Read the HST FAQ's.. this is the perfect way to train the body. His calories are adjusted to the right amount, and he trains with weights accordingly, so that he doesn't necessarily grow muscle, but doesn't lose it.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Aug. 15 2008,3:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i like how the figure slowly increased from 7000 to 12000 depending on which report you read</div>
haha good point.

colby I was being half serious. like I said, if he's natural, whatever he's doing, I'm impressed.

If he's on drugs, I'm still impressed at the swimming and wish I could take drugs with medical supervision too
smile.gif

Oh okay... well, if he were on drugs, and by his routine, physical shape, and athletic gift, I assume he is not, he would be busted and lose all of his medals once the information was proved. Note that the IOC tests the athletes before and after the Olympics - refer to Marion Jones.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Aug. 15 2008,9:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Oh okay... well, if he were on drugs, and by his routine, physical shape, and athletic gift, I assume he is not, he would be busted and lose all of his medals once the information was proved.  Note that the IOC tests the athletes before and after the Olympics - refer to Marion Jones.</div>
I used to think that sports in general were clean, and that drug use was the exception. I have to admit that I was naive.

Someone here on the forum (can't remember who) recommended a documentary called &quot;Bigger stronger faster&quot;, which was a nice summary of drug, use not only in sports, but in many other areas, thinkable and unthinkable, as well. I can happily recommend it too.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Aug. 15 2008,1:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i like how the figure slowly increased from 7000 to 12000 depending on which report you read</div>
7,000 perhaps. 12,000 I seriously doubt it.

It's just like pro bodybuilders and their frequent caloric hyperbole.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Aug. 14 2008,3:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i like how the figure slowly increased from 7000 to 12000 depending on which report you read</div>
Exactly,

You took the words out of my mouth!

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Aug. 15 2008,8:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i like how the figure slowly increased from 7000 to 12000 depending on which report you read</div>
Last I heard he was up to 15,000 cals/day now that he has to lug around all that extra bling!

<div>
(Bryan Haycock @ Aug. 19 2008,12:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Aaron_F @ Aug. 15 2008,1:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i like how the figure slowly increased from 7000 to 12000 depending on which report you read</div>

It's just like pro bodybuilders and their frequent caloric hyperbole.</div>
Consuming even 5000kcals takes a fair bit of effort, especially as you cant eat durign the time you are in the tank and doing the other associated training

10k would require a substantial amount of food that doesnt appear to make an appearance in the food listings.

Tour de France riders (using doubly labeled water) hit between 28 and 38MJ of energy use per day.

Or for the metrically challanged 6600 - 9082kcals per day.

The higher end on the bigger mountain days, the lower end on the simpler days

<div>
(Lol @ Aug. 18 2008,10:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Last I heard he was up to 15,000 cals/day now that he has to lug around all that extra bling!</div>
Yes, but on the other hand now he isn't carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Aug. 19 2008,5:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Bryan Haycock @ Aug. 19 2008,12:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>

It's just like pro bodybuilders and their frequent caloric hyperbole.</div>
Consuming even 5000kcals takes a fair bit of effort, especially as you cant eat durign the time you are in the tank and doing the other associated training

10k would require a substantial amount of food that doesnt appear to make an appearance in the food listings.

Tour de France riders (using doubly labeled water) hit between 28 and 38MJ of energy use per day.

Or for the metrically challanged 6600 - 9082kcals per day.

The higher end on the bigger mountain days, the lower end on the simpler days</div>
so lets say one of these endurance athletes is using drugs...

doesn't that significantly increase the amount of calories they can consume/put to use without spill over into fat?

An athlete performing significant volumes of work per day generally will not be going out of their way to make it harder to maintain caloric balance.

you can use drugs to turnover more energy, but...

that is a heeeeeeell of alot of calories!!

HOW do you think he eats/drinks it all without puking?? i really wanna know he gets it all in, there must be a secret and i'm willing to learn!!!
biggrin.gif
and to do it in 3 meals too?!?
wow.gif

i must learn.

Back