Please evaluate my nutrition plan

I

imported_elle11

Hi,
I am a 42 yo female 5'6" and 130#, 22% BF by bioelectrical impedence and just started HST last week so am in my 2nd week of 15s.
Please give me some feedback on my diet especially for pre and post workout. Any other advice is appreciated -- I want to do this right and get the most out my my training.
My goal right now is to add weight/muscle for two HST cycles -- then I will increase my cardio to lean down some.
My diet goals are 2000 to 2200 cals, 45% carb, 30% fat and 25% protein. i eat 5 times a day, 1 gm protein per pound of lean BW. On my 3 workout days this is an example of my pre and post workout food:
Pre:
1 C Oatmeal with skim milk and 1 T reduced fat PB
1/2 scoop Primer mixed with water
Pre is 359 cals, 10 gms fat, 42 gms carb and 29 gms protein
During:
20 oz gatorade
During and post is 277 cals, 2 gm fat, 42 gm carb, 26 gm pro
About an hour later I eat another 40 gms carbs along with protein.
I hope I am not being too specific, but I figured it would help!
:)
Thanks, Elle
()))---()))

I think it looks fine, fairly close to Zone diet. I'd probably work up 25-50 calories a week unless you notice significant fat gain. Through the first 3-4 weeks, emphasize carbohydrates in your caloric increases. Through the next four, emphasize protein.

cheers,
Jules

Thanks Vicious -- do you mean add 25 to 50 calories each week until I notice fat gain?

Yup. Again, make most of those 25-50 calories in carbohydrates initially (this will help against the glycogen depletion during the 10s/15s.) Then as you hit 5s and tissue generation becomes more active, increase your protein intake.

There's some discussion about ideal carb-to-protein ratio for growth. You don't need to go beyond 3:1 carbs-to-protein when accruing carbohydrates. You shouldn't go below 1:1 carbs-to-protein at anytime.

cheers,
Jules

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vicious @ Dec. 17 2002,9:52)]Yup. Again, make most of those 25-50 calories in carbohydrates initially (this will help against the glycogen depletion during the 10s/15s.) Then as you hit 5s and tissue generation becomes more active, increase your protein intake.
There's some discussion about ideal carb-to-protein ratio for growth. You don't need to go beyond 3:1 carbs-to-protein when accruing carbohydrates. You shouldn't go below 1:1 carbs-to-protein at anytime.
cheers,
Jules
Wonder if I can increase only 50 calories a day for a week!? 100 sounds easier to keep track of (I'm sure I'm off by 50 cals a day on my Fitday calculations, LOL) -- so that would be 2000 1st week, 2100 2nd, 2200 the 3rd, 2400 the 4th etc.

2300 kcals would be 18 times my BW -- seems that would be adequate for anabolism, you think?

You can add 100 calories every 2 weeks; that works too. 2300-2400 is about right, but the program burns a hefty amount of calories. It's more likely you'll lean out than gain a large amount of muscle actually. :)

cheers,
Jules

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vicious @ Dec. 17 2002,10:28)]You can add 100 calories every 2 weeks; that works too. 2300-2400 is about right, but the program burns a hefty amount of calories. It's more likely you'll lean out than gain a large amount of muscle actually. :)
cheers,
Jules
Okay I'll try that -- I really want to put on some muscle so I'm willing to take the risk of getting slightly higher in BF than I want to be! Leaning out will just have to wait.

Thanks Jules,

Elle

hi to all friends i wondering how mash time before u r workout , u eat the pre workout meal cause if u take anything right before train u get too mash bloats of u r stomach and u can't train thanks peter

The pre-exercise meal should consist primarily of complex carb and protein but food should be low-fat for fast digestion. Too much fat or training too soon after eating could be the culprit of the bloating. Everyone's preferences for and responses to different foods are unique, so you'll learn through trial and error what works for you and what doesn't. For example, some people respond negatively to sugar intake within an hour before exercise. The temporary boost you may experience after eating foods with a high sugar concentration actually increases insulin production, followed by a rapid lowering of blood sugar and leading to decreased performance.

Allow adequate time for digestion and normalization of blood glucose:

4 hours for a large meal
1-3 hours for a smaller meal
30 minutes to 1 hour for a blended meal, a high-carb beverage or a small snack.

The quality and quantity of food you consume after a workout can ensure optimal recovery, which means that your muscles are rested, refueled and ready to perform again the next time you train. This is extremely important if your workouts are typically exhaustive (longer than 90 minutes) and if you exercise every day. Inadequate recovery can lead to chronic fatigue and a gradual decline in your performance. The first 30 minutes to an hour after exercise are critical for optimal glycogen resynthesis; don't wait to eat!

I usually have a solid mixed meal about 1 hour before my workout and then have my whey shake with water about 15 minutes to 30 minutes before I train. I drink water and Gatorade during training and then immediately after have a casein based shake mixed with milk and fruit.

Hope this helps!
Elle

Elle's on the ball with her reply. The best answer really is to listen to your body. I *hate* eating before my workouts, even a little whey makes me lose concentration. However, other people swear by it and sipping on Gatorade as they go.

cheers,
Jules

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elle11 @ Dec. 21 2002,8:17)]The temporary boost you may experience after eating foods with a high sugar concentration actually increases insulin production, followed by a rapid lowering of blood sugar and leading to decreased performance.
It should be noted that this theory is an OLD one, which resulted from one study that showed decreased performance in endurance athletes with high glycemic meals before hand. Most recent work shows an improvement in performance in most (but not all) people, well in endurance athletes at the minimum.
Current thinking with meals before training should include the likes of the large meal a few hours before (usual comment 1-300g carbs 1-4hours before training - this is for a high carb style diet)
But directly before training, if one can stomach it, a meal containing easily digestible protein (whey isolate or any protein hydroslate) and some high glycemic carbs.
This is not primarily for energy, but to provide adequate amino acid concentration in the blood, and to increase insulin which increases cellular uptake yada yada yada...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]However, other people swear by it and sipping on Gatorade as they go.
Well there has been one study (at least) to show increased hypertrophy induced by sipping a carb solution during training, but whether this would have any advantage over just having carbs directly before training is doubtful.

Back