Post W/O meal vs. Shake

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by StoneSour, Nov 27, 2002.

1. StoneSour

StoneSour New Member

I have read alot in here about post w/o meals and slow protein shakes vs. quick uptake such as whey protein shakes. My questions is, every morning I have a tuna omelete or tuna scrambled eggs (using 1 can tuna, 2 egg yolks, 8-10 egg whites, and lemon pepper seasoning, or tarragon), and I am thinking this might be a better pst w/o meal (I workout around 8[​IMG]0 p.m. for approx. 60 min.). I usually have a 60 gr. protein shake immediatly after working out.

Also, I have my creatine w/ 50 gr. carbs, half right before w/o, and the other half sipping during w/o. If I were to consume a whey shake right before w/o (instead of after), when should I have my creatine, since I understand the two can compete against eachother and null some of the effects?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

StoneSour [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. vicious

vicious New Member

The meal is better, again due to slower protein release (and because real food is better than liquid meals :) ) Put that tuna omelette in a bagel, and you have an ideal post WO meal.

cheers,
    Jules

3. StoneSour

StoneSour New Member

Thanks Vicious. I actually do use a bgel for them some times, but since I could fill 4 bagels with that amount of egg & tuna, I don't always, but might start adding it back in. I have at least 1 bagel each day, and have found Dempster's Flax Seed bagels a great choice. They even stay soft hours later if you are preparing it to take later on.
    [​IMG]

4. BIZ

BIZ New Member

IMO It has always been shakes for me post-workout due to ease of digestion. Post-workout, the digestive system is a bit taxed so I want something that does not require a lot of energy to digest. The shake provides for quicker absorption as well.
    Take creatine pre-workout if you want maximum absorption.

5. StoneSour

StoneSour New Member

I agree BIZ. I have always had a shake immediately after for the same uptake reasoning. Now I think I may combine the two thoughts. Meaning, 1/2 protein shake right before W/O, and 1/2 right after, followed by the tuna/egg 30 min. later, to get immediate protein and continuous protein ingested.

6. BIZ

BIZ New Member

Stone:
    I think you have a good plan, especially pre and post workout shake. The tuna and egg about thirty minutes later is a great idea to keep amino acids flowing in. Good luck to you.