Post-workout meals

Determined

Due to evening workouts, I only have time to take in a shake (slow protein/dextrose immediately after working out) before going to bed. Given the HSN emphasis on pre/post nutrition, I'm concerned that I may be sacrificing gains by not taking in the recommended follow-up meal (a couple hrs. after workout)
Is this concern founded? Does sleep slow down metabolism to the extent that this meal is not needed, or should I get up at 1am and down a glass of milk?

If the pre-workout meal contains a fair amount of carbs, you can focus on during-workout nutrition -- glucose drink, amino acids -- in order to avoid having to use glucose as a carb source right before bed. If you travel home from the gym, you can have your shake at the gym and then a meal when you come home.

Gene,
I'm not sure you understand. I'm not concerned about using glucose post-workout/before bed. I'm concerned about not being able to followup with another meal in 2 hrs. (I work out at home, and generally finish the workout just before bed time.)

I understood your predicament. You are concerned about missing a follow-up meal because of it's heralded importance, which generally stems from a post-workout whey/dextrose method, which leaves you with rapidly dropping amino acid and blood sugar levels. Hence, the 2nd meal is seen as a sort of stabilizer after that. What I was suggesting, in concern for turning hypoglycemic and hypoaminoacidemic overnight, is to focus on carb and protein intake around the workout period (these can be amino acids and dextrose) so that your post-workout shake can be mostly casein and a lower-glycemic carb to get you through the night. That's what I would do in your situation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gene @ Jan. 10 2003,6:25)]I understood your predicament. You are concerned about missing a follow-up meal because of it's heralded importance, which generally stems from a post-workout whey/dextrose method, which leaves you with rapidly dropping amino acid and blood sugar levels. Hence, the 2nd meal is seen as a sort of stabilizer after that. What I was suggesting, in concern for turning hypoglycemic and hypoaminoacidemic overnight, is to focus on carb and protein intake around the workout period (these can be amino acids and dextrose) so that your post-workout shake can be mostly casein and a lower-glycemic carb to get you through the night. That's what I would do in your situation.
He's already doing that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
I only have time to take in a shake (slow protein/dextrose immediately after working out) before going to bed.

Of course, Gene is right. Since you're using a couple of scoops of HSN Driver, which is predominately casein, and also contains a reasonably decent amount of fiber and a bit of fat(which will slow gastric emptying even further) it shouldn't be a problem. In this context, having a solid meal several hours after your postworkouts shake isn't nearly as important as if one was using whey/hydro whey.

Of course, you can have an RTD to slam down when you get up to pee. I do that myself when bulking (mixing something up is too much work for me.) I doubt it'll make a huge difference, though.

Back